Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Nursing degree questions

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 7:39 pm
I really for a very long time wanted to get a degree in nursing. But life is busy so never happened. When I was super young I got a degree in education because that's what "everyone" was doing. I actually thought I would enjoy working with kids, special ed... But in reality it's not what I really wanted. But being busy with kids and life, I was too intimidated by the thought of going back to school for a bunch of years. Recently someone mentioned to me that since I already have a degree, it should take a lot faster. So that put the thought back into my head. I'm doing some research and there are many such programs. Often called MDE(masters direct entry) or accelrated programs. Would need to do prerequisites and then a 12-15 month program to be a licensed rn. So does anyone have experience with this?
I don't even know which nursing schools are better, or harder/easier to get in to...?
It has to be a program in nyc, I am not moving for it. And be shabbos, yom tov accommodating. If that's not an option, then I'll put my dream to rest

Ok, so anyone with knowledge of this, let me know. Then I'll be able to post all the questions I have as I come across them

crbc

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:08 pm
If you have FB, there is an Orthodox Jewish Nurses Association (OJNA) group that has a lot of current nursing students who can tell you about programs they are in.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 11:55 pm
I don’t know about having a masters degree. I had a bachelors in psychology and then went to accelerated nursing program at Downstate for Nursing, program was 14 months. You need to do prerequisites before you begin for the program. A lot of ny area schools have accelerate programs such as PACE, adelphi, downstate, NYU to name a few.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:46 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
I don’t know about having a masters degree. I had a bachelors in psychology and then went to accelerated nursing program at Downstate for Nursing, program was 14 months. You need to do prerequisites before you begin for the program. A lot of ny area schools have accelerate programs such as PACE, adelphi, downstate, NYU to name a few.

Was it an insanely hard program? I just read online last night someone blogged about her accelerated program how insanely hard it was, because they cram so much into such a short time, so she was basically working on it like 9am-9pm, plus study time... I am a mother of a housefull of kids. All in school, so I could put in full time working schedule, but I'm not sure I can do longer than that really. At the end of the day, I still need to be a mother. I can work hard. But not unrealistically so

greenteaorange

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:50 am
Nursing school in general is hard. Accelerated programs are harder. For us the first two sessions which were in the summer were the hardest. There were people that have had large families and done the program successfully
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries