Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Wwyd- daycamp dilemma

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 8:56 pm
Dd is so excited for camp- first year. She has a friend who lives nearby who is socially challenged and has behavior issues and dd is her only friend. This girl really wants to request dd for her bunk and wants dd to request her (the camp only allows one request). But I don't like the influence this girl has on my dd. She doesn't join in the games or activities, and tries to get dd to join in her shenanigans. She has a major problem with authorities and is very chutzpadig. She has a hard time being actual friends and ends up picking fights and behaving in a very immature way that pushes away other girls. I don't want dd to have just this one girl as the only person she knows in her bunk. I'd rather dd request another friend. But I feel bad for this friend...
Wwyd?

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:01 pm
DD should definitely request a different girl. You should feel bad for your daughter before her friend.

erm

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:07 pm
I would think about what is best for my child. It is unfair to burden her with a socially challenged friend who will be her responsibility when she is on her own. It doesn’t mean she can’t be friends with the girl, but she needs to have friends she enjoys and she can have fun with.

ddmom

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:27 pm
I would call the camp and explain the situation so they can be in the same bunk but counselor make sure they have different partners for activities!!

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:34 pm
ddmom wrote:
I would call the camp and explain the situation so they can be in the same bunk but counselor make sure they have different partners for activities!!

It's really impossible to separate girls in the same bunk. Btdt and if your child is negatively affected I would absolutely make sure they are not in the same bunk.

For reference, I have kids who have friends with adhd, autism, learning disabilities, etc. And I think it's wonderful to have a variety of friends. I can remember one time recently that my child had a friend who was simply not a healthy friend for her, not a child with anything specific going on, just not healthy for my child. It was absolutely imperative that they were separated.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jan 20 2021, 9:36 pm
I would call the camp and request that they be in separate bunks but not to go into specific details regarding the other child. I would just say that they are neighbors and spend a lot of time together outside of camp so it’s best for them to be separated in camp...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics