Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Girls day camps

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 6:20 am
I heard some camps give out a lot of sugar and junk. My kids get very sick when eating too much sugar. Which camps don't do that? Do Chaveiros and Meira have that problem?

Editing to add not talking about freeze pops or cotton candy at a one time carnival or ice cream on ice cream day. Referring to major sweets all the time on a consistent basis.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 6:31 am
There is no camp that won’t offer slush and freeze pops. These are summer treats. Usually once a summer there is a carnival with cotton candy.
Let your kids be kids. There is no overload but it will definitely be there.
If you deprive your children they will look for ways to get these treats an way they can when they get older.
You can only take charge of what you buy and feed them. When they are old enough to be in school or camp, you just have to let things go.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 6:34 am
I should have specified since you don't know my situation spare me the speeches. I'll follow what my doctor says to do for my specific kids and not what some anonymous random person on the internet thinks.

I don't care about freeze pops. I'm looking for people from lakewood who can answer my specific questions.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 6:44 am
I am from Lakewood and my kids have been to a number of different camps.
There is no such thing as a camp that doesn’t allow sweets .
And I never heard of a camp that only gives out sweets.
They will give out a lunch menu which usually rotates between pasta, pizza, pancakes, sandwiches. If you don’t want your child to eat the lunch, send in your own food.
Every single camp will sometimes have ice cream, slush, cotton candy etc
Not all of it all the time but spread out throughout the summer.
My girls went to the camps you mentioned.
There is no camp that will never offer sweet treats in the summer.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 6:46 am
I didn't say no sweets. But I did hear some give out an abundance above the normal once in a while major sweets. I'm really hoping someone who knows what I'm talking about will answer.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 6:52 am
Let’s see... we went to dollhouse, meira, chaveiros, camp it, step it up, Elite, Revach plus many backyard day camps. We also have experience with many boys camps here in Lakewood.
They are all the same more or less with food and nosh.
Sorry it’s not the information you want to hear.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:12 am
All camps give out abundance of sweets. Some have ice cream machines,soda machines, slush machines. But even the ones without still have activities making it and give it out. I’ve sent to a number of camps. All had abundance of sweets and Nosh.

Could you make incentive for your kids whatever they don’t eat you’ll give them fifty cents towards a prize every day. Or a treat at home you allow

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 4:47 pm
To another "bronze"
Can u elaborate on ur experience with step it up meira and perhaps shevach as a camp as a whole. My kids went to shevach but they finish too early and looking to switch them, otherwise it's a great and organized place.

Thanks

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 5:26 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
To another "bronze"
Can u elaborate on ur experience with step it up meira and perhaps shevach as a camp as a whole. My kids went to shevach but they finish too early and looking to switch them, otherwise it's a great and organized place.

Thanks

Step it up is a smaller camp. Started off as a backyard camp many years ago. Now it’s in bnos yaakov on pine park. I think there are 2 bunks per grade. It goes up to 5th grade. My daughter went for 2 years and enjoyed. Trips are on a smaller scale. Nice staff.

My other daughter went to meira for 2 years. It’s a very large camp and run very well. The first year my daughter loved it. The second year not as much but that’s just my daughter. I only heard that people are really happy there.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 6:46 pm
My kids were in Camp Dollhouse and one of my daughters worked there. They give out 5oz cup of slush 3x a week. I think all camps do this or even more. I sent to Chaveiros one summer and they got frozen mondos a few times a week. I totally get you; but this isnt gonna change and I know camps that hand out more candy than these 2 camps I mentioned. (Some camps own soft ice cream machines, have canteens where kids purchase candy with fake money they get for good behavior etc)

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 6:51 pm
Yes, the amount of sugar going on in day camps is sickening. My first grader had diet day and came home with a 16oz container full of candy “salad”. Half full by the time she got home. Oh the irony.

Dr. Suss Stables runs a farm camp for girls and food is not part of the program at all. They don’t give lunches either so you get to send your own. They do give them all day access to freeze pops for hydration but that’s about the extent of it. I didn’t choose to send there just because of this but it was definitely an added bonus.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:01 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Yes, the amount of sugar going on in day camps is sickening. My first grader had diet day and came home with a 16oz container full of candy “salad”. Half full by the time she got home.

Dr. Suss Stables runs a farm camp for girls and food is not part of the program at all. They don’t give lunches either so you get to send your own. They do give them all day access to freeze pops for hydration but that’s about the extent of it. I didn’t choose to send there just because of this but it was definitely an added bonus.

Is the dr suss camp info online? Or do I have to call?

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Contact them and they will send you an application.

Good luck! Glad to know I’m not the only mom who is so bothered by the crazy junk food culture in day camps.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 8:19 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Contact them and they will send you an application.

Good luck! Glad to know I’m not the only mom who is so bothered by the crazy junk food culture in day camps.

Many mothers (myself included) are bothered by it, but there's not much we can do to change it.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 4:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It's a real farm camp. Make sure it's what your dds are interested in. They ride horses, clean the horses, take care of dogs and goats. They do farm chores. My dd LOVED it because she loves animals. But it's not a camp for every kid.

Yes, the nosh and and slush in most camps is out of hand, and I'm not someone who usually has a problem with nosh.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 5:35 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Many mothers (myself included) are bothered by it, but there's not much we can do to change it.
I know other parents like this exist, but in the past when I tried posting about it on here I got very unsupportive responses. Is there really nothing to be done? Will things never change?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 6:43 am
My daughter loves animals it sounds perfect for her. Thanks for the information.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 6:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My daughter loves animals it sounds perfect for her. Thanks for the information.

Perfect! It's a great camp. The girls love it and really feel involved. Its small and every girl counts, not like in the big camps where they're just another number. The people who run it are amazing!

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Jan 22 2021, 7:16 am
This is why I send to back yard camps the nosh and "fun" is under control.

There are disadvantages like not having busing, so I find a camp near my work(and make it work) With Mrs. Glatzer (on 11th) she gives out lunch witch is a ++ in my book.

When you send lunch in a backyard camp most kids come with sandwich.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries