Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Delicious Yapchik recipe?

jewishmom6

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 9:43 am
How do I make yapchik?

I use my regular potato kugel batter then flanken and then more batter and bake?

chili-n-cholent

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:26 am
Yes, you can use boneless flanken if you don’t like it very fatty but the bone- in flanken is Way more flavorful. I’ve tried recipes with the meat cooked beforehand and then shredding it and adding it but nothing compares to the flavor of doing it the original way. I bake it regularly in the oven like kugel or overnight it depending on my mood but you can also do it in the crockpot for a more mushy texture that’s delish

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:30 am
do you bake it covered or uncovered?

chili-n-cholent

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:33 am
I bake it uncovered like regular potato kugel to get that nice crusty top but if I want to warm it up for Friday night or overnight it then I cover and add a little water on a low temp in the oven after it’s baked

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:42 am
Do you cut the meat, or leave it whole?

jewishmom6

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:46 am
I think I will try this recipe from joy of kosher.

Does anyone know how many yukon gold potatoes I can use instead of Russet potatoes?

Also will it stay good if I overnight it thursday night and then warm it up again on hotplate for shabbos morning?

8 large Russet potatoes
1 Spanish onion
7 eggs
1 cup water
1¼ cups extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon salt
1.2 pounds boneless flanken, cubed
PREPARATION
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.

2. Using a kugel blade, process potatoes and onions.

3. Remove mixture from food processor and place in mixing bowl.

4. Process eggs, water, oil, and salt in the food processor and pour into the potato-onion mixture.

5. Add the meat into the mixing bowl and combine everything together.

6. Pour in a 9x13 in. baking pan.

7. Bake uncovered for 1½ hours.

8. Lower oven temperature to 200°F.

9. Cover baking pan well with 2 layers of silver foil. You want to seal in all moisture.

10. Bake for 6 more hours.

Last edited by jewishmom6 on Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total

chili-n-cholent

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:46 am
I leave it whole. It ends up getting so soft that it falls apart when you cut pieces, that’s the beauty of using a good quality meat like flanken

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:58 am
chili-n-cholent wrote:
I bake it uncovered like regular potato kugel to get that nice crusty top but if I want to warm it up for Friday night or overnight it then I cover and add a little water on a low temp in the oven after it’s baked

With the bone left in?
How does this work when you serve it/eat it?

chili-n-cholent

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 12:06 pm
You just don’t eat the bone! Nobody minds but I haven’t really served it any elegant affair so Wink

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 24 2021, 3:43 pm
I'm looking at crockpot yapchik recipes. If you make it straight in a parchment paper lined crockpot does it lift out easily? Scorch at all? thanks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note