Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
If you went from Traditional decor to Modern, are you comfor
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:22 am
If you went from Traditional decor to Modern decor, in your living and dining rooms, are you comfortable?

Do you miss the homey-ness of traditional furniture vs. the coldness/commercial feel of modern decor?

Please post pics of "balbatish" looking living rooms and dining rooms, kitchens, that are furnished modern.

I like rich looking bullion fringe, an antique looking piece of furniture, here and there, moldings, and subtle quality gold touches. Can that be incorporated into modern decor, without looking like its a misfit?

What do the wealthy homes look like these days?

Pics please. Pics are worth a few thousand words.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:24 am
You should probably hire an interior designer who works in your community. You'll get a lot more information and exactly what you want.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:24 am
Can you try for a more transitional style? Why go modern of you don’t love it?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:28 am
Ive tried decorators (who saw my home and said I did very well, but now I think its time for a change, things arent in good shape.).

I see I like to work on my own.

Im looking for pics for inspiration.

What do wealthy homes, modern decor with touches of traditional, look like these days?

Pics please.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:30 am
If you want a truly comfortable and homey look, do like I do and choose Eclectic decor. Table from a gemach, chairs from Target, couches from a thrift store, desk from the side of the road. Kids’ artwork on the walls, piles of laundry on the couch. Everyone feels comfy here! There’s no judgment and no trying to impress, it’s a lived-in home.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you went from Traditional decor to Modern decor, in your living and dining rooms, are you comfortable?

Do you miss the homey-ness of traditional furniture vs. the coldness/commercial feel of modern decor?

Please post pics of "balbatish" looking living rooms and dining rooms, kitchens, that are furnished modern.

I like rich looking bullion fringe, an antique looking piece of furniture, here and there, moldings, and subtle quality gold touches. Can that be incorporated into modern decor, without looking like its a misfit?

What do the wealthy homes look like these days?

Pics please. Pics are worth a few thousand words.

That depends on country and community.
The wealthy home in Tel Aviv is not the same as the wealthy home in Brooklyn. A chassidic wealthy home is very different than a very secular wealthy home.

I like the cozy, homey look, but more down to earth, less fancy. I do like antique looking things, subtle gold, old faded oriental rugs, deep cushiony couches, books and more books. Bullion fringe, though, is bit too fancy for me.

I would not do modern regardless of what the wealthy homes are doing today. I do update my home somewhat over the years, I don't want to feel like I live in a time warp, but I strongly believe that a home should reflect the atmosphere its owners love, and not what's trendy that's year.

And in any case, there are all kinds of wealthy homes with all kinds of styles.

Malkqueen

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:39 am
For a warmer modern look, incorporate texture in the form of rugs, wallpaper, artwork, etc.

Go for a warmer color pallette - blues or greens as a second color with gold accent, and not black & white with silver hardware.

For photo inspiration, Instagram and Pinterest are great.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:42 am
Go on houzz.com for inspiration.

Do you want a house that says "welcome" or a house that says "we're rich"? You can have lots of comfortable, luxury touches in a welcoming home.

Seriously, don't decorate to look wealthy. You'll never get what you want. Decorate in a way that welcomes friends and family. That doesn't necessarily mean decorating in the same style as the richest family in the neighborhood. It means looking at how you live and making the experience of being in your house a pleasant one.

essie14

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:44 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
That depends on country and community.
The wealthy home in Tel Aviv is not the same as the wealthy home in Brooklyn. A chassidic wealthy home is very different than a very secular wealthy home.

I like the cozy, homey look, but more down to earth, less fancy. I do like antique looking things, subtle gold, old faded oriental rugs, deep cushiony couches, books and more books. Bullion fringe, though, is bit too fancy for me.

I would not do modern regardless of what the wealthy homes are doing today. I do update my home somewhat over the years, I don't want to feel like I live in a time warp, but I strongly believe that a home should reflect the atmosphere its owners love, and not what's trendy that's year.

And in any case, there are all kinds of wealthy homes with all kinds of styles.

Exactly. You can google almost any celeb and see their home(s) - they are certainly wealthy.

ETA
https://www.houzz.com/photos/q.....qrwns

Last edited by essie14 on Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 10:45 am
Im well aware of Houzz, etc. And Ive been getting Architectural Digest for years, which became a thin magazine with pics of houses that frum people dont live like.

Frum people, even when they decorate modern, like a Balebatish look.

Id love to see Instagram accts of decorators who cater to the wealthy (frum crowd) of Brooklyn and the 5 towns, please.

Words arent helpful, pics and Instagram accts links, are, please.

TIA

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:02 am
Check out Accentuations. They recently posted a spread in mishpacha with furniture that may be your taste.

byisrael

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:06 am
Your probably don't mean it but you are coming of extremely rude. There really is a difference in styles , people are just trying to understand what you want. These are transitional and I think fit your bill

Last edited by byisrael on Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Frum people, even when they decorate modern, like a Balebatish look.

Ummm, no. Maybe frum people of certain type, in a certain community, like a balebatish look. (what exactly is that? Overly fancy? Luxurious? I'm frum and I really don't connect to that look at all).

There are plenty of frum people out there that like different looks entirely.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:13 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Check out Accentuations. They recently posted a spread in mishpacha with furniture that may be your taste.

http://www.accentuationsbydesi.....rooms

I cant see Brooklyn people decorating like this... do they? Maybe Five Towns.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:14 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Ummm, no. Maybe frum people of certain type, in a certain community, like a balebatish look. (what exactly is that? Overly fancy? Luxurious? I'm frum and I really don't connect to that look at all).

There are plenty of frum people out there that like different looks entirely.

No offense to the OP, but I plan to stay as far away from that look as I possibly can. To me, it screams "gaudy" or "stuffy", in general show-offy.

byisrael

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:17 am
https://www.instagram.com/th_interiors/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/expl.....=en11

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:17 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
No offense to the OP, but I plan to stay as far away from that look as I possibly can. To me, it screams "gaudy" or "stuffy", in general show-offy.

Without a pic its hard to imagine what you dont like.. A hundred people can imagine a hundred different rooms, that youre calling gaudy and stuffy. You can post a pic.

Theres no inyan of Lashon Hara on decor and furniture.

byisrael

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:33 am
personally I hate the "balebatish" look - frum has nothing to do with style, these iare the kind of looks I like, I think the stuff Ipreviously posted looks so "nouveau riche" to me but fit what you asked for more...

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:38 am
I don’t understand this is your house. Why don’t you scroll and see what YOU like? What does it matter was we think ‘wealthy’ people like? Wealthy people can likely afford to redecorate from top to bottom as trends change every 5 years. Is that you?l or do you just want to look ‘wealthy’? Do you want what’s in in frum circles only? Because truly wealthy people in secular circles decorate very differently than we do

byisrael

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
http://www.accentuationsbydesign.com/transitional-modern-dining-rooms

I cant see Brooklyn people decorating like this... do they? Maybe Five Towns.

K so everyone who wants the young updated in style in Brooklyn does the transitional modern look and buys the accentuations furniture. But you should go with what you like. I personally HATE being like everyone else, so I go with what I like.
There are still people who go with the old "traditional style" and you can find a middle ground...
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics