Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do you call it supper or dinner?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

What do you call the last meal of the day?
Dinner  
 26%  [ 84 ]
Supper  
 73%  [ 229 ]
Total Votes : 313

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 3:39 pm
My husband grew up calling it supper. I grew up calling it dinner. Our compromise is that on weekdays it's supper and on Shabbos/Yom Tov it's dinner. Dinner sounds more formal. Supper sounds more cozy. :-)

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 3:40 pm
supper during the week, dinner on friday night.

Frumme

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 3:41 pm
Pretty interesting to see the poll swing. In the beginning, dinner was a clear winner. Now supper has taken the lead

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 3:46 pm
dinner. Chasidish here. idk when or why I switched over from supper.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 3:52 pm
When I talk in yiddish, I say supper. When I talk in English, I say dinner. My mom does the same so I guess I adapted it from her.

estreya

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 4:06 pm
We call it supper.

We also speak French -- dîner [pronounced dee-nay] = LUNCH for us and souper [pronounced soo-pay] is SUPPER).

Last edited by estreya on Thu, Jan 21 2021, 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 4:17 pm
just asked my kids because I wasn't sure. They said we usually call it dinner but that my older daughter sometimes also calls it supper because that's what her best friend calls it. They asked my mother she said supper. my dh is a bt wonder if maybe that's why we usually say dinner.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 5:08 pm
Grew up with dinner- MO
Now we call it supper- yeshivish

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 5:10 pm
My father is a convert and my mother a BT, both said supper.

imaima

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 5:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’ve always called it dinner but I hear a lot of imas on here call it supper. Curious what you call it. (I’m RW MO if that matters)

it depends on whether you are British or American or else.
As if non-Jews don't eat in the evening...

ETA: people you cannot possibly believe that it has anything to do with your religious affiliation. These are regional variations of English and then, dinner has become more formal than supper. non jews also call it something dinner or supper!

PS: I call my last meal of the day "midnight snack".

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 5:18 pm
It's a cultural, regional and class thing. Many people think that "dinner" is more refined than "supper", but they're mistaken. "Dinner" means the main meal, regardless of time of day it's served. Friday night dinner and Shabbat dinner are supper and lunch, respectively. (Though some people really pile it on at melave malka...)

Inasmuch as language is meant to communicate, it behooves us to use language that is as precise and clear as possible. To that end, I say "lunch" and "supper," which terms are absolutely unambiguous regardless of one's ethnic, geographic or socioeconomic background--although my audience is left in doubt as to whether the meal so described will be a real feast or something lighter.

See https://www.rd.com/article/dif.....pper/

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 5:28 pm
zaq wrote:
It's a cultural, regional and class thing. Many people think that "dinner" is more refined than "supper", but they're mistaken. "Dinner" means the main meal, regardless of time of day it's served. Friday night dinner and Shabbat dinner are supper and lunch, respectively. (Though some people really pile it on at melave malka...)

Inasmuch as language is meant to communicate, it behooves us to use language that is as precise and clear as possible. To that end, I say "lunch" and "supper," which terms are absolutely unambiguous regardless of one's ethnic, geographic or socioeconomic background--although my audience is left in doubt as to whether the meal so described will be a real feast or something lighter.

See https://www.rd.com/article/dif.....pper/

this is so interesting. do some people say Shabbos dinner referring to the day meal of Shabbos? never heard that.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 5:30 pm
נאכטמאל
or supper

Teomima

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 5:35 pm
I use both interchangeably.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 5:45 pm
Canadian for generations. Many of my friends whose families hail from commonwealth countries say supper but my family says dinner

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 6:08 pm
Both. Either or.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 6:26 pm
Dinner. BT from the West Coast.

number

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:18 pm
I’m in town yeshivish and I call it supper in real life, and dinner online. Because supper is socially awkward in the wider world. Laugh

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:25 pm
number wrote:
I’m in town yeshivish and I call it supper in real life, and dinner online. Because supper is socially awkward in the wider world. Laugh

Yes! Totally! I noticed myself doing that too.

happy chick

Post Thu, Jan 21 2021, 7:26 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Dessert

I'll come for some Tongue Out
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics