Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Special needs schools
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 7:06 pm
Hi I have a daughter with high functioning autism I am looking for a special needs elementry school for high functioning verbal kids. Preferably not a private one. I don't like the idea of having to hire a lawyer and sue the department of education. I find it stressful.
Anyone know of any non public schools or private schools willing to work with a payment plan? Or a school taking aba insurance?

paperflowers

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 7:14 pm
I’m confused. Are you looking for public or private?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 7:22 pm
Public (district 75) or non public in special ed terms that means a school fully funded by dept of ed. A non public school is like hasc.

I'm just looking for ideas of such type of schools that accommodate higher functioning students. Or private schools flexible with payment.

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 7:22 pm
Also where are you looking?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 7:24 pm
I live in brooklyn but can be in surrounding boroughs as well

amother
Gold

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 7:40 pm
Too bad you are not in Maryland- amazing program called Sulam.
https://www.sulam.org/

cnc

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 7:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Public (district 75) or non public in special ed terms that means a school fully funded by dept of ed. A non public school is like hasc.

I'm just looking for ideas of such type of schools that accommodate higher functioning students. Or private schools flexible with payment.

A non public school like HASC will require suing the DOE.
HASC accommodates HFA.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 7:59 pm
Right unless you get a non public school placment from the DOE. They do that a lot of times

cnc

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 8:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Right unless you get a non public school placment from the DOE. They do that a lot of times

Doesn't that require hiring a lawyer and proving that you need a non-public school placement or that a public school placement is inappropriate?

I've never heard of the DOE giving a non PS placement immediately at the initial IEP meeting. Does it exist? I would love to hear more.

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 8:09 pm
I worked for the DOE a while ago but in my day your dd wouldn’t be in district 75, but in an integrated class elsewhere.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 8:10 pm
So my other child(not this one I'm asking abt) is very low functioning autism and has co existing medical conditions. At her turning g five IEP meeting they right away recommended to me a New York state approved non public school. They sent my childs info and evaluation papers to many nys approved public schools. Some that has place called me for interviews. Including hasc, blue feather , birch etc. Its rate but it does exist.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 8:11 pm
Sorry *rare

amother
cornflower

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 10:28 pm
HASC is a great choice. They have a preschool for ages 3-5 and a school-age program from 5-21. I know ppl that work there.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 10:51 pm
My friend sends to a school that does all the work for her she never has to hire anyone. Have you heard about that option?

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 11:22 pm
I know you mentioned non-public school but I just wanted to mention that NYC has the ASD NEST program which is an integrated class in various public schools for high-functioning kids with autism. My child is in the program now and it is amazing.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 11:23 pm
IMO it is worth going private. The only option for no lawyers are public school and not ideal academically especially with covid they are remote many times. Yaldeinu is a top school. some schools help you with lawyers. my school was I a medical center and they took care of everything for me.

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Jan 23 2021, 11:27 pm
Are you sure she needs a special needs school? HFA often can go to regular school and have therapy on the side.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 12:27 am
No I'm not sure she needs a special ed school I'm applying to mainstream schools as well. Exploring all options

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 12:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No I'm not sure she needs a special ed school I'm applying to mainstream schools as well. Exploring all options

HFA has a high chance of fitting in regular schools, some just need speech therapy, social skills, some need OT others not, and then she can do fine in any school. Some schools are more supportive than others, make sure it's a warm school where they emphasize good middot and that has nice kids.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 1:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yeled V'Yalda has an ABA program for HFA. Children in the program are in regular school in the morning and come for ABA and social groups in the afternoon. They also send behavior paras to provide classroom support in the mainstream school when needed.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics