Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Cooking in aluminum tins
1  2  Next

mommymama

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 10:22 am
Hi! Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've heard that there are health risks with cooking in aluminum tins. I do it all the time but wondering what others do or have heard and whether it's worth looking into it more. Smile

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 10:33 am
The aluminum does leach into the food. You can line the pan with parchment paper to mitigate the risks.
Really the most important thing is to never put it directly on the flame (I hear some people do this for quick cooking on the stove) and don't use it for acidic foods like vinegar, which breaks down the metal. Do not put foil in the crockpot either, where it cooks longs and you can actually taste the metal in the food.
Of course it's healthier to use real oven to table dishes like Pyrex and Corningware, but I believe in a happy medium.

Motherhood

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 11:33 am
Definitely worth looking into more. I never cook directly in any aluminum pan, I just line with parchment paper first. If I wouldn’t have any other choice, I may do it once in a while but not “all the time” as you say in your op. Please read up more about it.

miami85

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 11:35 am
I've heard the risk is very minimal

https://www.healthline.com/nut.....oking

mommymama

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 12:59 pm
Motherhood wrote:
Definitely worth looking into more. I never cook directly in any aluminum pan, I just line with parchment paper first. If I wouldn’t have any other choice, I may do it once in a while but not “all the time” as you say in your op. Please read up more about it.

ok, thank you so much! I'll add it to my list of things to do Wink

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 1:14 pm
I ran out of parchment paper. Can I use wax paper to bake brownies?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 1:48 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I ran out of parchment paper. Can I use wax paper to bake brownies?

Google.
I'd sooner use foil. Foil occasionally seems pretty low risk for dementia, but wax paper is simply not safe for baking, according to most of the first google hits I'm getting.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 1:50 pm
I'm feeling the same. Unfortunately my ceramic 9*13 broke and I haven't yet replaced it

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 1:51 pm
People had dementia before these came out so I wouldn’t be so worried. I try to put parchment paper first though whenever I can.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:02 pm
flowerpower wrote:
People had dementia before these came out so I wouldn’t be so worried. I try to put parchment paper first though whenever I can.

There may be concerns besides dementia. I don't know what though.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:04 pm
Slightly off topic... why do disposable aluminum pans need a hechsher?
The ones sold in my local supermarket are ingraved inside the pan with a rabbi’s name and kosher agency.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:10 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Slightly off topic... why do disposable aluminum pans need a hechsher?
The ones sold in my local supermarket are ingraved inside the pan with a rabbi’s name and kosher agency.

People who want to reuse them are supposed to toivel them. I believe the hechsher is for the toiveling. (I hate those. They are thin like silver foil and buckle under the weight of the food put into them.)

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:11 pm
If you use aluminum, try to avoid acids like tomato sauce, and things that are very salty.

Only use the pan once! I know very frugal people who will rinse a pan and use it again, but once it's been exposed to food and heat, there is a lot more aluminum that comes off of the pan.

What you can do, is rinse a used pan, and place it under a new one to give it strength and make the new pan less wobbly. At least that way you are reusing it a little bit.

If you cover an aluminum pan with tinfoil, spray oil on the bottom of the foil where it will touch the food. Not only will the food not stick, but the tinfoil on top won't start to degrade when in contact with salt or acid.

I try not to use disposables at all if I can help it, but let's be honest, some days I just do not have the koach to deal with scrubbing my good pans!

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:20 pm
ra_mom wrote:
People who want to reuse them are supposed to toivel them. I believe the hechsher is for the toiveling. (I hate those. They are thin like silver foil and buckle under the weight of the food put into them.)

Can you explain why is there a need for a hechsher to toivel?
If I buy a pan in the non Jewish store I toivel if I want to re-use.. sans hechsher.

Miri1

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:51 pm
Avoid tomato based or lemony foods coming into direct contact.
Also rhubarb, cranberries, tart apples and vinegary foods.

I personally try to use mostly pyrex or stainless, when I use disposables I will line with parchment paper, especially for foods like those above.

I also noticed that the precut foil I used to buy at costco doesn't hold up well at all - it's more for wrapping cold sandwiches. I've had to throw out food when I discovered little holes in the foil, and lo and behold patches of foil on the surface of the food... yuck.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:57 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Can you explain why is there a need for a hechsher to toivel?
If I buy a pan in the non Jewish store I toivel if I want to re-use.. sans hechsher.

The hechsher states that they toiveled it for you. I don't use such pans. Just answering your question.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:59 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Aluminum toxicity causes a lot more than just dementia. And dementia is caused by a lot more than just aluminum. Avoiding aluminum as much as possible is smart.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 4:03 pm
I’ve been trying to cut down recently too. It’s healthier and less wasteful.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 4:06 pm
Thank you ra mom for your explanation.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 5:57 pm
Re wax paper: I think it's ok for baking if the batter covers it totally. Do some research about that and highest temps.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking