Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Oil based dips??

artsy

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:26 pm
Want to make healthier dips and I am thinkin if they are oil based (not may) can use olive oil and nutritionally better. So can you recommend ones that are simple and healthy plz with recipe? Thank you

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:28 pm
What about homemade mayonnaise?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:34 pm
Most importantly, get the best quality olive oil you can find. Cheap olive oil tastes horrible.

Things to add to it:

Zatar and sea salt
Sautéed minced onions
Sautéed minced garlic
Honey, mustard, and a little vinegar
Lemon juice and fresh chopped dill

Other good oils to use are avocado oil, walnut oil, and hazelnut oil.

If you are making sushi, you can make a great dip with toasted sesame oil (not regular, it has to be toasted.) Add grated ginger, a dash of soy sauce, and a little bit of chili mayo (or plain mayo and a squirt of Sriracha.)

The sesame ginger dip is also really good on baked sweet potatoes, and sweet potato fries. I have a batch in my fridge right now. You can also spread it on chicken before you bake it.

Sorry, no exact measurements. I taste everything as I go along. As soon as I think "Yummy!" I stop adding things. Very Happy

artsy

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:34 pm
Don't really have time for that and dont want something with raw eggs.
looking for something with higher level nutrition to it

artsy

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:35 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Most importantly, get the best quality olive oil you can find. Cheap olive oil tastes horrible.

Things to add to it:

Zatar and sea salt
Sautéed minced onions
Sautéed minced garlic
Honey, mustard, and a little vinegar
Lemon juice and fresh chopped dill

Other good oils to use are avocado oil, walnut oil, and hazelnut oil.

If you are making sushi, you can make a great dip with toasted sesame oil (not regular, it has to be toasted.) Add grated ginger, a dash of soy sauce, and a little bit of chili mayo (or plain mayo and a squirt of Sriracha.)

The sesame ginger dip is also really good on baked sweet potatoes, and sweet potato fries. I have a batch in my fridge right now. You can also spread it on chicken before you bake it.

Sorry, no exact measurements. I taste everything as I go along. As soon as I think "Yummy!" I stop adding things. Very Happy

Are these things you just mix by hand or actually puree in like a blender or something?? Thanks!!

artsy

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:36 pm
artsy wrote:

This was in response to homemade mayo
But thank you for suggestion

corolla

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:37 pm
Roasted Red Pepper Dip.
Roast a couple of red peppers until they're soft, together with onions and garlic, and throw it all into a blender. Peeling is optional. Add salt, pepper, and lemon.

Onion Jam:
Saute 2-3 large onions until they're brown and carmelized. Add a tbsp of brown sugar, salt, pepper, and some vinegar (balsamic or regular).

Babaganoush:
Roast eggplants covered in foil over open flame until soft. Place into a glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap until cool. Peel eggplants and mash/blend. Add some fresh garlic, techina, and lemon.

Roasted Eggplant:
This is more of a salad. Cube eggplants, toss with some oil and salt and roast at 400 for about 20 minutes, until soft. Let cool, then mix with dill (fresh or frozen), fresh garlic, salt, pepper, paprika, and vinegar. Best to let it sit for a day or two before serving.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:37 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
What about homemade mayonnaise?

THIS, also!

Once you find the easiest mayo recipe for you (everyone has their own favorites) the sky is the limit. I make all my own salad dressings. Not only do I control all the sugar and salt (if any), I know that there's no creepy chemicals in there. I can't stand bottled dressing anymore.

If you want to make an oil based dip and you want it to not separate from the lemon juice or vinegar, you'll need at least a tablespoon of mayonnaise. It acts as an emulsifier and binder, and holds everything together. Just give it a good stir before serving.

farmom

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:38 pm
I hardly use mayonnaise in my dips
Babaganush made with techina (eggplant, techina, salt, garlic, lemon)
Pesto (basil or parsley, evoo, garlic, sundried tomatoes, sunflower seeds or pine nuts, salt)
Red pepper dip from overtime cook (although I usually add roasted eggplant)
Sparlic
Eggplant and pepper cooked together
Eggplant dip from millennial kosher
Techina
Chummos

I'm sure I have more but I'm blanking out now Smile

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:40 pm
artsy wrote:
Are these things you just mix by hand or actually puree in like a blender or something?? Thanks!!

You can mix it by hand, or you can use a stick blender. If you have a Ninja or something like it for making smoothies, that works fine, too.

If you don't want to fuss with making mayo, store bought is fine. To make dips and salad dressings, I mix it half and half with parve sour cream. If I'm doing dairy, I like to use unflavored goat yogurt and lots of fresh chopped herbs.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:00 pm
Techina and Chummus.
Tomato dips are often oil or tomato based.
Pesto with basil or parsley.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:02 pm
Carmelize onion and mix with pulsed baked eggplant salt pepper.

Bake eggplant, pulse for a second add in oil, finely diced purple oinion, crushed red pepper and salt.

Tomato dip- garlic, tomato, oil, salt.

Head of garlic in oil baked.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:08 pm
Garlic dip
Spinach pesto
Avocado dip
Tehina
Black olive dip
Hummus
Roasted garlic eggplant dip
Tomato dip

(Tehina, avocado and eggplant dip don't need food processors/blenders. Garlic and eggplant dip are virtually fat free with no oil. No added oil needed for tehina or avocado dip.)

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:12 pm
We make all dips in a hand blender. It's the best.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:32 pm
It really depends on how much olive oil you use because many dips are just pure oil.

What is healthier about home made dips is that you can control the amount of any fat you use - whether it is olive oil, mayo or anything else.

Oil tends to be cheaper than other ingredients and it is easier to make foods taste good to many people by adding lots of oil or mayo. Commercial tuna fish salad for example has SO much more mayo than I would use at home and at home I would boost flavor by using herbs and other seasonings - for example.

Commercial mayo isn't inherently less healthy than homemade unless you are consuming huge quantities of it. Measure out a tablespoon of mayo - level of course - and you will see what a small amount that actually is.

artsy

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 3:11 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Garlic dip
Spinach pesto
Avocado dip
Tehina
Black olive dip
Hummus
Roasted garlic eggplant dip
Tomato dip

(Tehina, avocado and eggplant dip don't need food processors/blenders. Garlic and eggplant dip are virtually fat free with no oil. No added oil needed for tehina or avocado dip.)

do you have recipes for garlic dip, spinach pesto, black olive dip, goasted garlic eggplant dip?

Rappel

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 3:29 pm
artsy wrote:

Techina makes a great, nutritious, oily base if you don't mind that it has a slight nut flavour.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 3:36 pm
artsy wrote:
do you have recipes for garlic dip, spinach pesto, black olive dip, goasted garlic eggplant dip?

Garlic Dip
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....62256

Spinach Pesto
https://jamiegeller.com/recipe.....cken/

Black Olive Dip
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....16991

Roasted Garlic Eggplant Dip
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....99690

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 3:43 pm
Roast an eggplant and a green pepper over an open flame (or in the oven if you're lazy like me). Remove flesh from eggplant and seeds from pepper, throw veggies into food processer with 1 T olive oil, 2 cloves garlic, and half an onion. Chop. Add salt.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 3:54 pm
I can't say it's the healthiest thing, but we take an eggplant, peel, slice, and lightly salt it. Let it sit for 1/2 hour. Fry the pieces in oil on both sides till soft and golden. It sort of falls apart and gets mashed. We eat it with Challah. It's also delicious with pasta.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics