Home

Wrong baby name

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:58 pm
I feel like I gave my baby the wrong name. its been over 2 months and I still feel that way. every single time I say my baby's name I feel off,I've tried all diff nicknames and still turns me off. I guess there is nothing to do so I am just venting
Back to top

amother




Honeydew
 

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:02 pm
Me too, and he’s a year and a half old
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:05 pm
Is there a reason why you can't legally change the name? Is there a halachic problem with changing it now? (I genuinely don't know how that works.)

DD is legally changing her first name when she turns 18. She's been using her chosen name for almost 4 years now.

I have to admit, it really does suit her better.
Back to top

amother




Purple
 

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:06 pm
Me too. Lasted for a year and a half, maybe 2.
Eventually I got used to it and now I like the name. More importantly he likes his name and is proud of it.
Back to top

amother




Orchid
 

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:06 pm
Could you choose a different name to call baby by? Don’t need to change any names just choose a completely different name for the child to be known as.
Back to top

amother




Lavender
 

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:29 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Is there a reason why you can't legally change the name? Is there a halachic problem with changing it now? (I genuinely don't know how that works.)

DD is legally changing her first name when she turns 18. She's been using her chosen name for almost 4 years now.

I have to admit, it really does suit her better.


Halachically you can’t change a name, you can add a name which in turn changes the name.

I’ve never heard of anyone doing that cuz they don’t think the name suits their child n
Back to top

DrMom




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:35 pm
I have heard of people changing their child's name.

I don't know how that works, but I know of 3 people who did this when their rabbanim told them the names they originally gave were unacceptable (or at least non-ideal).
Back to top

#Happymom




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:52 pm
I have a friend, her name is Elisheva, but she is known as Avigail.
Simply because her mom liked that name better. She was named after someone, but her mom never liked the name. So although her name is technically Elisheva, no one knows and for 30 years she's been known as Avigail!!
Back to top

caffeine99




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 5:06 pm
My brother's name was changed. My parents didn't know better and named him a nickname for my great grandfather, then when he was five they changed it to my grandfathers name whom he was origionally named. We were told they were only able to change it because it was same intention. A name is ruach hakodesh...
Back to top

amother




Pumpkin
 

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 5:14 pm
Did your parents/inlaws involve themselves in the choosing of the baby's name?

My inlaws did that for my first 2 kids. I was really upset with the first baby and beyond mad when they did it again. It bothers me when I hear my a child being called with the name I wanted to use.
Back to top

essie14




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 2:47 am
I have several friends who changed their Hebrew names - it can be done in shul with a simple mi shebeirach.
One was a BT, her parents gave her a name which she felt wasn't a "real" name, she asked one of her seminary teachers and he facilitated the name change.
Another friend of mine felt her name wasn't giving her good mazal - she went to a mekubal and discussed it and changed her name.
My friend's parents went to a Rav to get a bracha for her and he said she should change her name.
Back to top

Imax5




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 5:01 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Halachically you can’t change a name, you can add a name which in turn changes the name.

I’ve never heard of anyone doing that cuz they don’t think the name suits their child n

I think it’s pretty easy to change a name halachically actually.
Back to top

imaima




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 5:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I feel like I gave my baby the wrong name. its been over 2 months and I still feel that way. every single time I say my baby's name I feel off,I've tried all diff nicknames and still turns me off. I guess there is nothing to do so I am just venting


Is it your first child? There is a certain degree of wierdness when you call any child a name. It feels grown up for a baby unless you introduce a pet name Version right away.
But it will grow on you!
Back to top

amother




Coral
 

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 5:49 am
#Happymom wrote:
I have a friend, her name is Elisheva, but she is known as Avigail.
Simply because her mom liked that name better. She was named after someone, but her mom never liked the name. So although her name is technically Elisheva, no one knows and for 30 years she's been known as Avigail!!


sounds cool! I thought it is pretty problematic to change a name.
Back to top

amother




Turquoise
 

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 6:10 am
I think if you didn’t like the name to begin with anyway then it will take a while until you are okay with it. It makes it more confusing when you have a few options as a nickname because you keep trying different ways and none of them sound just right so no option sticks with you and you keep trying again. You probably will be okay with name as your child grows older and starts responding to this name. Suddenly this name will = your child and it will seem right. You probably named your baby after someone so see if you can collect nice information about this person to be able to associate the name with. It will help to have positive feelings. Eventually it will just be your own child who will give you the positive feelings. It takes time but the feelings of acceptance will replace the feelings of dislike.
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 6:19 am
In your circles, is it OK to give an anglicized name to call a child by? For example can Yaccov be called Jacob or Jake?
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Need a break from Pesach preps.? S/O last letter name a -
by simcha4
18 Today at 5:59 pm View last post
Help me shop for Pesach (baby and toddler)
by amother
10 Today at 11:54 am View last post
Should I feed baby or wait this out at night UPDATE
by amother
33 Today at 10:47 am View last post
ISO nursing Shabbos robe... and baby-friendly shopping?
by amother
2 Today at 7:27 am View last post
Baby Name Sarah
by amother
47 Today at 1:16 am View last post