Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do you have a playroom? Where do you keep/play with toys?

Do you have a playroom?
Yes  
 37%  [ 37 ]
No  
 55%  [ 55 ]
I don't have young children  
 7%  [ 7 ]
other  
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 100

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:50 pm
If you don't have a playroom, where do you keep the toys, and where do the kids play? In the living room? Dinning room? In the bedroom? Where do you store the stuff?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:52 pm
stored in bedroom and played in the dining/living room area and sometimes kitchen. bedroom is tiny.

OOTforlife

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:54 pm
The most used play spaces are our family room and basement. But our kids also play with toys in the dining room and in their bedrooms sometimes. The master bedroom, kitchen, laundry room, and bathrooms are off limits for play.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 2:58 pm
We had a very big kitchen, and my mother put a bookcase in there which became the toy shelves. Things that were most used on a daily basis lived there.

Board games and puzzles were in the lounge, in baskets and piles under the window seat.

Anything belonging specifically to one child was kept in their bedroom. Soft toys often lived on the owners bed.

There was a room that was designated the playroom. Hardly anything was kept there, and we didn't use it. My mother preferred that we were where she could keep an eye on us. My father preferred that we make a noise somewhere else. (The playroom was right next to the study.)

Last edited by Elfrida on Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:04 pm
Toys are kept in the bedroom and played in the main room of the house, which is used for a living and dining room together (not very big either). Since the room is open to the kitchen, the toys end up there too.

tweety1

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:07 pm
I never had one. I kept the toys in an Ikea closet in the bedroom. Kids played in the dining room and hallway. Bh now I do.

happy chick

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:10 pm
Toys are kept in a bedroom. The biggest of the few. And they mostly play there or in other bedrooms. Dining room and kitchen are both quite small.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:20 pm
Mostly stored in bedroom with 1 or 2 boxes worth in the living room. Sometimes we play in the living room and sometimes in the bedroom

SingALong

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 3:25 pm
I have a playroom but some personal games/toys kids keep in their bedroom. Play is generally kept to playroom and bedrooms. If it ventures to other rooms I steer them back to the playroom.
On Shabbos we sometimes have toys in the living room during meals. Especially for the baby since I want to keep an eye on her.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 4:30 pm
Playroom? LOL LOL LOL
If I had room for a playroom it would be a gym-come-physical-therapy-room-come-medical-device gmach and would also have a giant upright freezer. The kids play in their rooms, in the hallway of our apt (not the common hallway between apartments but the one inside our apt) and in the living room, which is also our Shabbos dining room and occasionally a guest room.

4 kids. Toys for little kids go in a big laundry basket that lives next to the couch in the LR. Board games and similar things for bigger kids go in a low cabinet in the kids' room that is topped by a bookcase "hutch" for books. Each kid has a stuffed animal or at most two that live on his bed. Sports equipment like hockey sticks, baseball bats and basketballs go in a tall plastic hamper from which the top was removed that lives in a corner of the boys' room. That's IT. And even with this, which must sound like a pathetically small collection to people who have playrooms and have a problem "organizing" their kids' toys, my kids have way too many playthings and don't use most of them.

Before every Chanuka, birthday and visit to or from grandparents, we sort through and remove at least a few items to give away.

IME most people have enough toys to outfit an entire preschool. Even if you have ten kids you don't need that many unless you are really running a preschool out of your house.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 4:50 pm
My playroom just became my baby room because he needs to have his own room. Toys are kept in bedrooms. The kids play in their tiny rooms, hallway, kitchen, dining room.

silverlining3

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 5:08 pm
No playroom. My toys are in containers in cubbies, in a closet-don't need the hanging space yet. Kids generally play in that room, which has since become the baby room. So far only a crib is in use so they still play there. Then I have 2 toddler friendly container toys in a corner in my dining room, he won't play alone in room when older kids are out.

School playing, arts n crafts, beads, and the like are done at dining room table and in their bedrooms.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 7:53 pm
Toys are stored in closets/cubbies in my living room and that is where we play and hang out.
I'm laughing because in my little kid focused mind, what do you use a living room for if not to hang out and play with your kids??? But I guess there are people who use living rooms to entertain other adults? Maybe I'll get there one day, and then I can replace my kid friendly microfiber couch with some fancy leather or velvet one too Very Happy

essie14

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 11:42 pm
No playroom. Toys are stored in bins in the combined LR/DR and some in the kids rooms.

Rappel

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 11:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you don't have a playroom, where do you keep the toys, and where do the kids play? In the living room? Dinning room? In the bedroom? Where do you store the stuff?

Their bedroom. They mostly play in there, it's right off of the main room of the house, so it's very convenient in thatb respect. Sometimes they bring toys out to the main room

Mayflower

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 12:05 am
We have a playroom. We used to store all the toys there but now the kids prefer to keep their own things in their own rooms.

So things like board games, puzzles, clics, trucks etc are still in the playroom but Playmobil sets, Lego sets etc. are stored in their bedrooms.

I also noticed that now that they are a bit older, they prefer to have some privacy and play in their own rooms when friends come over, instead of having to share the playroom with their siblings.

Our living room is officially off limits for toys. It's quite small and I dislike mess.... So the living room is for chatting and reading books (b'H all of our kids are bookworms so this actually works quite well).

Teomima

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 2:03 am
Nope, no playroom. Toys have moved around a lot over the years, when all I had were infants the toys were in the living room (which is also the dining room). Then as the kids grew, the toys moved to their room. Now I have kids split into two rooms: big kids and little kids. The toys are in the little kids room, crafts etc are in the big kids room, games and puzzles are still in the living room, and books are everywhere.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics