Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Do you have advice for me??
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 6:33 pm
I really really need a professional organizer.
I Would totally get one, once I get over the embaressment. My neigbour is one.

Heres my issue.
My toy cupboard is just one big cupboard with shelves.
I have diff sized boxes for the toys(clear plastic containers with lids), top shelf for games and another shelf for all the stationary, papers, books etc.
Its just such a mess. Never can keep it tidy.
I wish we had the cube storage system.

I need just one person with an organized brain tot ell me what to use.
Any tips anyone please?

I wish I could send a oicture to someone and theyl just advise me.

Thanks in advance.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 6:34 pm
Post a picture of the cupboard here. We have a bunch of great women here who would be happy to advise you.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 6:36 pm
Hmm how do I do that?
I tried sorting it today so half the stuff is out now. I guess thats why im posting now.

The problem is I have looads of miscellanious toys that just dont fit in a 'box'.

SingALong

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 6:40 pm
Is there anything your kids don’t really use that you can throw out? Having less will be easier to maintain. I typically throw out 2 garbage bags every time I go through my toy closet, about every 2 months! It’s the only way I can keep up!

tigerwife

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 6:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hmm how do I do that?
I tried sorting it today so half the stuff is out now. I guess thats why im posting now.

The problem is I have looads of miscellanious toys that just dont fit in a 'box'.

Are all of the miscellaneous toys used? Step one would be to sort through and toss or donate anything you don’t need. For beloved “tchotchkes”, let each of you kids have their own little prize box. They keep what fits into the box. If they get excess toys, they need to toss something in the box to make room.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 6:42 pm
I need help in this department too but I recently took smaller toy sets and put in ziploc bags in a larger plastic box. Would that work for you?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 24 2021, 6:43 pm
The best way to organize is to buy clear bins that fit the space nicely. Stacking bins that come in full size and half size are best, so you can store in a way that makes sense for the toys.
Empty the entire cupboard.
Start with the toys the kids like best and place them in containers. Label each one so that everybody knows what to return to each box when cleaning up. Slowly fill the closet.
The rest that don't fit, don't have a match, don't get used as much... should be donated. They'll enjoy the toys much more and you'll enjoy the space much more.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 5:29 pm
Im trying to work out how to post an image.
Not working for me...

Thanks, the tips sound good but I really need someone to see it ...
I know if I get all the same size containers will look neater, but half my toys wont fill the container and half will need bigger...?

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 6:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not working for me...

I know if I get all the same size containers will look neater, but half my toys wont fill the container and half will need bigger...?

Use cardboard cartons of appropriate sizes and cover them with paint, Contact, fabric, wallpaper, gift wrap or some other material so they look coherent. It's the hodgepodge of materials and styles that looks less than tidy, not the variation in sizes.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 6:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not working for me...

There are sets with two sizes. The big size. And then the half size that when 2 are stacked, together they are the same size as the big one. It looks very nice side by side.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 8:36 pm
Google Clutterbugs, and then just look at the closet that is organized four different ways and see which one feels best to you.

Some people need closed boxes, some people need open baskets.

Some people need it to be opaque, other need the containers to be clear.

Look and see what appeals to you. Pick the system that you can maintain!

Good luck!

Eselle13

Post Mon, Jan 25 2021, 8:40 pm
You can send a picture to Elisheva at let it go consulting on Instagram. Once a week, she usually does a free recommendation based a picture that people send her.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 7:35 pm
https://ibb.co/sCNsw8C

Here is my toy cupboard.
I also have loads of baby toys, some are big and bulky, that are not in the cupboard right now.
And there are lots more miscellanious things out.

P.S I dont really have any other toy storage /kids bookshelves right now.
I have a little corner in the room where big stuff gets dumped.

Any tips would be appreciated please!
Im not sure what the half size containers are, is there a link?

familyfirst

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 8:09 pm
Actually, looks like you do have some sense of organization.
I like the way the games have their own shelf, a s the books have their own shelf. If this really is all the toy storage space you have then limit games to one shelf and toys to one shelf. If a new one comes in, an old one goes out.
The smaller toys will be abke to fit into bins from the dollar store. Check those out. Get one big in for the bottom shelf for big toys.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 8:39 pm
I like the sterilite clearview latchtop bins. We have mostly 27 quart (3 fit our closet side by side), and for smaller toys, the 15 quart size stacks 2 together to be the same size as the 27 quart. So it's all very neat.

https://www.target.com/p/steri.....metab

https://www.target.com/p/steri.....D_BwE

This is what I mean by full size and half size. If you stack two of the containers from the second link, they are the same size as 1 container from the first link.

familyfirst

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 10:48 pm
Just pointing out that there must be a typo on the cost
One of those boxes cost $149.00!!!

Looks like a typo...

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 11:22 pm
familyfirst wrote:
Just pointing out that there must be a typo on the cost
One of those boxes cost $149.00!!!

Looks like a typo...

It say its a 12 pack

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 11:32 pm
I’m not one to give suggestions on organizing as I need help myself but I think you need more shelves for the toys. I would probably keep the arts n crafts things in bins and not on the shelves because it’s hard for kids to put things back neatly.
Where do you keep things like trucks, balls and doll carriages?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 30 2021, 5:25 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
I’m not one to give suggestions on organizing as I need help myself but I think you need more shelves for the toys. I would probably keep the arts n crafts things in bins and not on the shelves because it’s hard for kids to put things back neatly.
Where do you keep things like trucks, balls and doll carriages?

Thanks !
What sort of bins?
yes that shelf is the worst!

my problem is that everything just ends up getting all dumped together because I have so much stuff that doesnt 'belong' in a certain box.
I dont have buggies. I have a little table and chairs that float around the room and big car garage stays out and baby walker aswel.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 30 2021, 5:26 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I like the sterilite clearview latchtop bins. We have mostly 27 quart (3 fit our closet side by side), and for smaller toys, the 15 quart size stacks 2 together to be the same size as the 27 quart. So it's all very neat.

https://www.target.com/p/steri.....metab

https://www.target.com/p/steri.....D_BwE

This is what I mean by full size and half size. If you stack two of the containers from the second link, they are the same size as 1 container from the first link.

Thanks!
Now I get what you mean!!

Im not from US so will try find the equivalent here. thank you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics