Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
14 yr old daughter stuck in Orlando due to COVID
  Previous  1  2  3 15  16  17  Next

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 3:32 pm
southernbubby wrote:
The guidelines from the health authorities.

Lol. You quoted my post and I was wondering what you were saying. Still not sure. But no worries Smile

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 3:32 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Southernbubby, I don't always respond but I always "like" your posts. I can always count on you for some good old common sense.

Signed,

your fan
Me too!
So sensible and normal, like good old fashioned normal. The world needs more of this seichel hayasher common sense plus humor sprinkled in.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 3:33 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
No, the guidelines actually don't include masks.
Exposure is defined as within 6 feet, 15 minutes or more.
So people go to work, masked, and still can get it.

And that's the biggest risk factor. That doesn't mean it can't happen in another scenario, but we can't quarantine for every person we come across. So we filter out by most common exposure risks.

But we must assume that people on planes have taken risks prior to boarding.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 3:33 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Me too!
So sensible and normal, like good old fashioned normal. The world needs more of this seichel hayasher common sense plus humor sprinkled in.

I truly appreciate this!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 5:09 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Anyone who has spent more than 15 minutes indoors without a mask and within 6 feet, with someone from a different household is potentially exposed. I wonder how many people are strictly following this.

We’re actually careful about this (except for baby in Daycare) and going about normalish life . I work- with a mask on and make sure I’m 6 feet away if it’s more than a 5 min conversation. My husband goes to shul- everyone distances and masks, and to work- they each have their own office. We have 1 family we hang out with, and keep each other in the loop about any sicknesses. We go shopping with masks and don’t stand right next to people.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 5:18 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
We’re actually careful about this (except for baby in Daycare) and going about normalish life . I work- with a mask on and make sure I’m 6 feet away if it’s more than a 5 min conversation. My husband goes to shul- everyone distances and masks, and to work- they each have their own office. We have 1 family we hang out with, and keep each other in the loop about any sicknesses. We go shopping with masks and don’t stand right next to people.

And if everyone was doing what you are doing, the pandemic would be over. My whole point is that the way that this virus is spreading, nobody should board a flight thinking that only healthy, non-exposed and not infected are on board because a sizable portion of the population isn't consistent about masks, SD, avoiding crowds, etc

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 5:41 pm
southernbubby wrote:
And if everyone was doing what you are doing, the pandemic would be over. My whole point is that the way that this virus is spreading, nobody should board a flight thinking that only healthy, non-exposed and not infected are on board because a sizable portion of the population isn't consistent about masks, SD, avoiding crowds, etc

Yup. Which is why I’ve made very clear that when it’s safe to visit my in laws, we’ll be driving and not flying any time soon.

Sleepymama

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 6:57 pm
Wow.
Just wow.
To this whole thread.
I think the OP not responding to all this insanity is the only sane response at all.
This whole thread is crazy to me.
Why is it so weird that she wanted to know if a nice frum family who already had corona could host her daughter in an emergency??
She didn't ask on Craigslist. She asked a huge network of frum women. I'm sure she would have throughly looked into the family and made sure they were normal good people. The frum world is small, and the kind of family that would be willing to do this would probably be a special good family. Chessed oriented people. If someone asked me for a favor like that in my neighborhood, I could think of at least 10 families who would be happy to do this mitzvah and I could vouch for them that they are 100% percent good healthy normal people who would make the girl feel safe and comfortable.
Why is this such a crazy thing to ask?
Also why are you attacking her for letting thr girl travel??? Her sister had a COLD!! only when she lost her sense of smell did they realize it might be corona. Should everyone who has a family member with a cold not travel??
Also, why is everyone interpreting this as the daughter is already alone and abandoned? The Op said that the family she was with were planning to fly home the next day. So she had a day to figure out a plan. The girl wasn't abandoned in a hotel room alone.
OP also didn't offer to "fund a private jet".
She simply asked if anyone knew of someone flying privately who would be willing to take her daughter. Again, it's not such a far fetched thing to ask, there are a lot of wealthy jews that fly privately back and forth from ny to florida. Many of who already had corona. It didn't hurt to ask, right?
Again, there are people out there who would be happy to help out a jewish family in a hard situation.
Also, about the airplane. People don't just travel for pleasure! It's not fair to say "if you're really scared of catching corona, don't fly."
My mother is flying in to be with me because one of my kids is having a complicated surgery and I'm going to need help and support. She is 70, she will wear an n95 mask and we will daven that she will be protected. I was comforted to know that everyone on the plane needs to sign that they have not knowingly been in contact with anyone with corona for 14 days prior. I need her help and she wants to be there for me. I'm hoping that no one on her plane will be violating quarantine and then flippantly say "well, if I give someone corona, that's their problem because they shouldn't have been traveling anyway if they really care."
I can't control what other people do, and I know that she is taking a risk by traveling but other people shouldn't rationalize flying while they should be in quarantine by saying that anyone on the plane doesn't care about their health anyways.
Ps- if I was 14 I would ask if my 14 year old friend could stay with me in the hotel. We would have so much fun together! Watch movies...order take out..
But I was a mature 14 year old and my parents could trust me. It depends on the kid.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:17 pm
Sleepymama wrote:
Wow.
Just wow.
To this whole thread.
I think the OP not responding to all this insanity is the only sane response at all.
This whole thread is crazy to me.
Why is it so weird that she wanted to know if a nice frum family who already had corona could host her daughter in an emergency??
She didn't ask on Craigslist. She asked a huge network of frum women. I'm sure she would have throughly looked into the family and made sure they were normal good people. The frum world is small, and the kind of family that would be willing to do this would probably be a special good family. Chessed oriented people. If someone asked me for a favor like that in my neighborhood, I could think of at least 10 families who would be happy to do this mitzvah and I could vouch for them that they are 100% percent good healthy normal people who would make the girl feel safe and comfortable.
Why is this such a crazy thing to ask?
Also why are you attacking her for letting thr girl travel??? Her sister had a COLD!! only when she lost her sense of smell did they realize it might be corona. Should everyone who has a family member with a cold not travel??
Also, why is everyone interpreting this as the daughter is already alone and abandoned? The Op said that the family she was with were planning to fly home the next day. So she had a day to figure out a plan. The girl wasn't abandoned in a hotel room alone.
OP also didn't offer to "fund a private jet".
She simply asked if anyone knew of someone flying privately who would be willing to take her daughter. Again, it's not such a far fetched thing to ask, there are a lot of wealthy jews that fly privately back and forth from ny to florida. Many of who already had corona. It didn't hurt to ask, right?
Again, there are people out there who would be happy to help out a jewish family in a hard situation.
Also, about the airplane. People don't just travel for pleasure! It's not fair to say "if you're really scared of catching corona, don't fly."
My mother is flying in to be with me because one of my kids is having a complicated surgery and I'm going to need help and support. She is 70, she will wear an n95 mask and we will daven that she will be protected. I was comforted to know that everyone on the plane needs to sign that they have not knowingly been in contact with anyone with corona for 14 days prior. I need her help and she wants to be there for me. I'm hoping that no one on her plane will be violating quarantine and then flippantly say "well, if I give someone corona, that's their problem because they shouldn't have been traveling anyway if they really care."
I can't control what other people do, and I know that she is taking a risk by traveling but other people shouldn't rationalize flying while they should be in quarantine by saying that anyone on the plane doesn't care about their health anyways.
Ps- if I was 14 I would ask if my 14 year old friend could stay with me in the hotel. We would have so much fun together! Watch movies...order take out..
But I was a mature 14 year old and my parents could trust me. It depends on the kid.

Although we have had the virus, we bought some very expensive masks and regular face shields so that we can fly. I know that the odds today are that a percentage of every large group of people is infected. Even if nobody lies about exposure, there will be people who don't take precautions and who are traveling while contagious. That's why I don't shriek in horror that someone would even consider flying after exposure. Someone who recently flew United to Florida said that she was not asked to sign anything. Obviously in a better world, people would quarantine prior to travel.

Sleepymama

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:36 pm
I understand that flying is risky for that very reason. I'm just saying that if my daughter was meant to be in quarantine, I wouldn't put her on a plane. If she ends up being positive for corona she will always wonder if she spread it to someone. I wouldn't want her to live with that worry and guilt on her conscience. Not worth it.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:41 pm
Sleepymama wrote:
I understand that flying is risky for that very reason. I'm just saying that if my daughter was meant to be in quarantine, I wouldn't put her on a plane. If she ends up being positive for corona she will always wonder if she spread it to someone. I wouldn't want her to live with that worry and guilt on her conscience. Not worth it.

I voted for ground transportation.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:52 pm
There were tons of Lakewood families in Florida and I know a bunch of single girls still there. Most girls had it or were exposed and might not mind keeping an eye on a 14 yr old girl (for pay) and flying back with her. The girls I know are leaving tomorrow

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 7:19 am
I'm sorry this thread is beyond. I don't have a 14 year old child yet, but I have a 14 year old sister. I understand other children can be more mature than her, but how in the world can you send a 14 yr old alone, even with a friend to Florida? That alone is insane to me.

Then the parents who are responsible for her have decided to just leave her there? I mean the behavior up until this point is so irresponsible why would you imagine they wouldn't just put her on the plane with a mask. Even if they are so stupid not do not that, then please send your husband, yourself, your cousin, someone else in Florida and just have them bring your child home.

I really hope this was not real and was just posted to scare other people.

INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 7:23 am
In general there is certainly nothing wrong with sending a 14 year old girl with family friends to FL.
If you are not comfortable doing so then don't . But it is hardly considered "insane".

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 8:42 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I'm sorry this thread is beyond. I don't have a 14 year old child yet, but I have a 14 year old sister. I understand other children can be more mature than her, but how in the world can you send a 14 yr old alone, even with a friend to Florida? That alone is insane to me.

Then the parents who are responsible for her have decided to just leave her there? I mean the behavior up until this point is so irresponsible why would you imagine they wouldn't just put her on the plane with a mask. Even if they are so stupid not do not that, then please send your husband, yourself, your cousin, someone else in Florida and just have them bring your child home.

INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huh? I’d send my 11 year old to Florida with a friend’s family.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 8:45 am
Op please update. Where is your dd?

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 8:54 am

INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What in the world is wrong or irresponsible with sending a girl along with a friends family???? I'd send along a kid from age 8 no problem. What's the big deal of a family taking along another kid? The kid isn't alone.

essie14

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 8:57 am
Sleepymama wrote:

You can be 99% sure someone is going to lie. or someone they were in contact with will test positive the next day.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 9:06 am
essie14 wrote:
You can be 99% sure someone is going to lie. or someone they were in contact with will test positive the next day.

I just don't get this concept. Two wrongs never make a right. Just because someone else is being careless with other people's health, doesn't make it right for anyone else to do just that.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 9:20 am

INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would send a 14-year-old on a trip with family or friends.

The part that still doesn't make sense to me is this.
Page 16 of 17   Previous  1  2  3 15  16  17  Next Recent Topics