Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Amazing and thorough evening makeup with drugstore products?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 10:10 am
Can you do an amazing evening makeup job, for mature dry skin, from primer to powder, all with drugstore products?

Please list the steps and the products.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 11:35 am
I'm not a makeup artist so can't say, but I did get my makeup done once and was shocked to see her using a maybelline concealer. She said it was the best of all the brands she tried.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 11:47 am
Would you consider Mary Kay? That way you have a consultant giving you all the procucts from a-z and they usually have some sort of discount if you ask...

I don’t love all drugstore product
You want to look for illuminating foundation (not matte!) L’Oréal has good foundation, maybelline concealer as above mentioned, I prefer L’Oréal lash paradise mascara l, if you’re up to going to ultra they have morphe pallets and maybe some color pop pallets that are good for eyeshadow. Elf for bronzer and blush. Primer and finishing spray be worth buying a bit better quality since that’s what helps out make up on smoothly and keep it on without feeling and spelling like hairspray

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 11:52 am
Of course you can, though the makeup may not last as long as professional makeup if you don't use products specifically designed to be long-wearing. OTOH many makeup artists use at least some drugstore brands. The woman who did my makeup for my dc wedding used Maybelline Ultralash mascara, for example.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 11:53 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I'm not a makeup artist so can't say, but I did get my makeup done once and was shocked to see her using a maybelline concealer. She said it was the best of all the brands she tried.

Was it the age rewind (twists up, foam applicator)? We all use that.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 12:14 pm
If/when anyone has time, can you please list step by step, with names of products (drugstore only preferred, not Mary Kay, Im not familiar with that brand and cant get it at the drugstore) used.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 12:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If/when anyone has time, can you please list step by step, with names of products (drugstore only preferred, not Mary Kay, Im not familiar with that brand and cant get it at the drugstore) used.

I’ll post as soon as I have time!
-makeup artist

miami85

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 12:25 pm
Another possibility is I usually love Clinique's spring (sometimes fall) collections, you get almost everything you need by purchasing one product--let's say a foundation or an eyeliner and you usually get an eyeshadow, lipstick, mascara, moisturizer and makeup remover. All you need is blush and powder (which depending on the foundation you get, you might not need it )

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 12:29 pm
A very well renowned makeup artist shared that the cheaper the makeup, the longer it lasts. the final product is your application and layering skills.
I was shocked when I saw her pull out drug store quality makeup.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 12:44 pm
Elf putty primer
Loreal infallible freshwear foundation
Elf camo concealer in the hydrating formula
Elf glow powder (gives a very, very subtle glow and also sets cream products) or maybelline loose powder for matte finish
Physicians formula butter bronzer
Milani baked Blush
Maybelline master chrome highlighter or pixi duo highlighter
For eye shadow, I personally have not found any nice, good quality pallets in the drugstore but in Ulta, a cheaper brand is Colourpop. They have a million different pallets to choose from.
Elf has a really nice eye shadow primer - their putty primer in a small pot (comparable to Mac paint pot)
Maybelline eyeliner that comes in a small glass pot with a brush or Essence roll up eye pencil
Lash paradise mascara
Pixi milky mist for setting makeup (won't make it longer lasting but melds the powders together for a really natural look)

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 12:46 pm
Hi hello I’m back. Ivory amother nailed it 👌
I would also recommend using a plumping primer or moisturizer to plump up any aging signs. And use elf double ended lip primer to fill in lip wrinkles.
I would go with L’Oréal mascara.

P.s. you need good quality brushes

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 12:48 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
A very well renowned makeup artist shared that the cheaper the makeup, the longer it lasts. the final product is your application and layering skills.
I was shocked when I saw her pull out drug store quality makeup.

Some drugstore products really stink but some are amazing! I think the difference is in the packaging and 'experience' of using the product. I love splurging on luxury items every once in a while for that. I don't expect the products to be any better though. Some luxury products are pretty bad too.

Brushes also make a difference! Using clean, decent quality brushes will affect the results too.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 12:55 pm
Every drugstore brand has its star products and its not-such-great products. For example, Wet n Wild lipsticks and highlighters are mostly great, but their eyeliner pencils are not.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 12:56 pm
The packaging does matter, though. Wet N Wild has their Silk Finish lipsticks in the worst packaging (cap falls off easily and has to be put back in the right direction), and that really is the only reason (but enough reason) not to use that product.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 12:58 pm
Thanks so much for all your tips! Can someone please do the same with brushes? And what to use for what?

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 12:59 pm
Eyeshadow is a matter of taste and personal skill. A good eyeshadow blends out well, but some are more pigmented and others less pigmented; a makeup artist knows how to use a pigmented palette properly, but many beginners actually prefer to use one that has less color so it's not as easy to put on too much by mistake.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 1:02 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Thanks so much for all your tips! Can someone please do the same with brushes? And what to use for what?

That gets really complicated, though. For example, some would recommend a kabuki brush for foundation, some would say a flat brush is best, and others would say that you should only be using a Beautyblender/Wonder Blender and nothing else.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 1:04 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:

Elf has some pretty solid brushes. Get the more expensive ones from them, though. They’re softer, and they’re made better. Sonia kashuk brushes are also really nice. And if you want to order online, bh cosmetics is a great cheap option.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 1:05 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
That gets really complicated, though. For example, some would recommend a kabuki brush for foundation, some would say a flat brush is best, and others would say that you should only be using a Beautyblender/Wonder Blender and nothing else.

I use an Artis brush, and then a beauty blender after to further smooth it. It’s *chef’s kiss* I wouldn’t use a beauty blender on its own

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 1:06 pm
It also depends on what foundation you're using.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics