Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help w ds who leaks urine because constipated

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 10:43 am
My 7 yo ds has been having issues for years with leaking urine during the day and night. We took him to a top pediatric urologist who said that he was seriously constipated and if we empty his bowels then he will be able to control the urine. For a few weeks we did the Miralax and things started to improve. But then over the holidays we were less careful and things got bad again.

Does anyone have tips to help with this? He doesn’t like Miralax or prune juice. We give him fiber gummies and it doesn’t seem to help. I don’t see laxative chocolates with a hechsher. And in any case I want a whole lifestyle that we will be able to maintain without specialty products. He eats well. I give him oranges every day and he loves salad. He doesn’t love breakfast cereals ... I don’t know if Cheerios and milk is the holy grail or not - I’m not sure!

Has anyone been here that can help? He is popular and has friends. During school he doesn’t leak the urine in a noticeable way ( he wears his shirts tucked out). Also at night he wears pull-ups. I just noticed the issue again when we came back from vacation and all of his pants were soaked. Also if anyone thinks it’s an attention issue like he is paying too much attention to his games or activities, and not just the constipation?

Cheshire cat

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 11:20 am
Oy. We went through this with dd. It was such an ordeal!

It's much better, though occasionally she still regresses. She's 10 years old now.

We did th following:

Toilet time: twice daily, before and after school she sat on the toilet for 15 minutes. She was allowed to pick an exciting game/ book to do during this time. (She heartily hated it anyway)

Enemas: 3 times a week. As per the recommendation of her gastroenterologist. It is controversial, and I was very nervous about it. But this made the biggest difference. We used the fleet pediatric enemas. Note that it can cause dehydration, and make sure your child drinks plenty, if you decide to do this.

We tried, with mixed results, to serve more fiber rich foods. Dd is a white bread girl, but with consistent kavanah, we upped the fiber somewhat.

Good luck.. there is no quick solution.

Oh, we did give miralax... don't think it really helped, but we used every weapon in our arsenal

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 11:22 am
Chronic severe constipation can stem from food intolerances ( as opposed to allergies). Dairy or wheat would be the 2 most common sources to look at first.

If you don't address the source, at least keep him on magnesium supplement to help prevent the constipation.

honey36

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 11:41 am
Im not a doctor, but doesn't oily/fatty foods help with constipation as well? Have you tried giving him extra avocados, or just put extra olive oil on his veggies or whatever? If he won't take that try french fries or whatever just to see if it helps?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 11:51 am
OP, send a PM to TwinsMommy. She has a lot of experience in this department.

tichellady

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 12:55 pm
Miralax doesn’t have a taste. Can you put it in things that he eats and drinks without discussing it? I hope he gets better

exhausted

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 12:55 pm
I'm going through this right now with my son who is a little older. He is taking Senna a few times a week. He doesn't really swallow pills straight but I put the whole pill in a spoonful of applesauce and he swallows it. We are still under the care of a pediatric urologist. Make sure your child drinks a lot of water during the day. It is a common misconception that you have to limit the fluid intake. Not during the day, that leads to chronic constipation. We are careful from around 2 hours before bed. I bought him a water bottle for school and told his Rebbi that the doctor said he needs to drink alot throughout the day.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 1:08 pm
I’ve dealt with this issue with my dd who just turned 9 since toilet training, and we are bh finally seeing results. We’ve done miralax for many many years, it is non habit forming like laxatives. You can increase the dose as needed and try different flavored drinks until you find one that he’s ok with. We found that it dissolves best in soda. Also, for severe constipation there is nothing as effective as enemas. And no, they are not scary. Stay away from laxatives. Feel free to pm me if you want

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 3:04 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Chronic severe constipation can stem from food intolerances ( as opposed to allergies). Dairy or wheat would be the 2 most common sources to look at first.

If you don't address the source, at least keep him on magnesium supplement to help prevent the constipation.
Was going to say exactly this. And also that you might need magnesium even if you eliminate food sources, because it’s necessary for motility and most people are deficient.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 3:55 pm
Wow! Thank you all so much! I am going to reread the replies slowly and try some of them. We just went to a kosher hotel program and on the last day of our stay, my ds actually made number 2 (he knows to save it for me to see) ... I am wondering what the hotel served that I don’t - and I’m wondering if it was the fatty food idea that someone mentioned.

I also like the miralax dissolved in soda idea because he loves soda and we don’t let him have it.

Lastly - which magnesium supplements do you use? And which enemas?

otsrock

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 3:58 pm
MOPS protocol

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 4:14 pm
Another thing you don’t mention is where is this constipation issue coming from? In my daughters case she was scared of doing a bowel movement and held it in until it became a vicious cycle. If your son has no fears or issues wirh toileting at all then it’s definitely worth pursuing the root of the constipation issue
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics