Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
My imaginative school to end all crisis
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 6:12 pm
The recent thread(s) about schools has made me think if only I can open up a perfect school.

In my imaginary school there is an unlimited amount of classes. We have a wealthy billionare (or does it need to be a trillionare) supporting the school and wants it to be all inclusive. We accept everyone who wants a Frum education. Instead of classes based on age we have classes based on levels, with some kids being in a higer level for some subjects and a lower level for others. We have small classes 10-15 kids per group at a time. We do lots of hands on activities, use any and all resources. There is lots of extracurricular and it is very focused. Kids can choose what they want to do and kids that need or want more extracurricular can get more. Only healthy snacks and lunches are served. There are lots of field trips, with learning happening at museums, zoos, parks etc..and not just sitting 9-4. Gym a few times a week. The chinuch is very right wing, as in we do all the mitzvos to the utmost with all teachers being very frum. The children need to dress according to school rules at school. No talking about movies allowed in school. Alternatively you could have a frummer and less frum class (me personally I wouldn't want my kid in a class where everyone is talking about the latest tv series and my kid feels left out). Of course the school is huge and it goes without saying that the desks are 6 feet apart Smile That's it for now. Anyone have anything to add?

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 6:44 pm
The school needs amazing grounds, with a rolling hills and acres of land. There should be paths in the woods for nature walks and a farm on the grounds. There should be soccer fields and basketball courts and tennis court and a swimming pool and an ice skating rink (indoor and outdoor). There should be a huge art studio with a potters wheel and kiln. The children with ADHD/processing disorders should have gentle Montessori style learning through at least third grade, in soft calming lighting, with a huge focus on self awareness and regulation of emotion through dynamic teachers of music and the arts. The more focused kids should learn tons of language and science and math at an early age, with very enthusiastic, brilliant teachers in brightly lit rooms. Middos should be the constant focus through out, and the whole school should have a carefully planned middos curriculum that is reinforced every single year, which shares the same foundational base, but is taught with more maturity each year.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 6:47 pm
Your problem begins and ends with "frum education". Sorry but what does that mean? Do we all have the same Torah, sure but realistically, different communities interpret it differently. Modern orthodox schools barely believe in midrash. And chassidish schools might not even teach the Chumash text inside to girls.

BTW there are some very fabulous schools (all modern) with inclusive learning etc, I've visited many. But guess what they're not "frum" enough for the chinuch I want for my kids... Real shame actually.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 6:51 pm
My dream is a school that teaches all limudei chol through the lense of limudei kodesh to give the students a worldview that's completely Torah centered. For example, earth science is learned through the lense of Parshas Beraishis and Hilchos Shabbos, algebra is taught using the Rambams formula for writing a calendar etc. It would take enormous work to create a curriculum like this but I dream about it.

trixx

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 6:54 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
The school needs amazing grounds, with a rolling hills and acres of land. There should be paths in the woods for nature walks and a farm on the grounds. There should be soccer fields and basketball courts and tennis court and a swimming pool and an ice skating rink (indoor and outdoor). There should be a huge art studio with a potters wheel and kiln. The children with ADHD/processing disorders should have gentle Montessori style learning through at least third grade, in soft calming lighting, with a huge focus on self awareness and regulation of emotion through dynamic teachers of music and the arts. The more focused kids should learn tons of language and science and math at an early age, with very enthusiastic, brilliant teachers in brightly lit rooms. Kiddos should be the constant focus through out, and the whole school should have a carefully planned kiddos curriculum that is reinforced every single year, which shares the same foundational base, but is taught with more maturity each year.

Do you even know what Montessori learning is?

trixx

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 6:55 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
My dream is a school that teaches all limudei chol through the lense of limudei kodesh to give the students a worldview that's completely Torah centered. For example, earth science is learned through the lense of Parshas Beraishis and Hilchos Shabbos, algebra is taught using the Rambams formula for writing a calendar etc. It would take enormous work to create a curriculum like this but I dream about it.

It couldn't be a licensed school in nys (at high school level at least) bc of regents.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:12 pm
The school needs amazing grounds, with a rolling hills and acres of land. There should be paths in the woods for nature walks and a farm on the grounds. There should be soccer fields and basketball courts and tennis court and a swimming pool and an ice skating rink (indoor and outdoor). There should be a huge art studio with a potters wheel and kiln. The children with ADHD/processing disorders should have gentle Montessori style learning through at least third grade, in soft calming lighting, with a huge focus on self awareness and regulation of emotion through dynamic teachers of music and the arts. The more focused kids should learn tons of language and science and math at an early age, with very enthusiastic, brilliant teachers in brightly lit rooms. Kiddos should be the constant focus through out, and the whole school should have a carefully planned kiddos curriculum that is reinforced every single year, which shares the same foundational base, but is taught with more maturity each year.

I think we should team up and make it happen. LOL LOL

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:29 pm
trixx wrote:
Do you even know what Montessori learning is?

Yes, very, very much so...why do you ask?

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 7:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think we should team up and make it happen. LOL LOL

I am an experienced teacher, and ready! Just send us the trillionaire! I want to teach in this school!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:01 pm
I am an experienced teacher, and ready! Just send us the trillionaire! I want to teach in this school!!

Forgot to add extensive training for all teachers. Ongoing support. Great salaries with Pension and benefits.

trixx

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:03 pm
Yes, very, very much so...why do you ask?

Bc why do only the adhd kids get it... With soft lighting... And the "focused" kids (which montessori emphasizes - focus) get stuffed with subjects in bright lighting. Just the way you wrote it. Every kid should have a montessori education.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Forgot to add extensive training for all teachers. Ongoing support. Great salaries with Pension and benefits.
[quote]

Sign me up!

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:38 pm
trixx wrote:
Bc why do only the adhd kids get it... With soft lighting... And the "focused" kids (which montessori emphasizes - focus) get stuffed with subjects in bright lighting. Just the way you wrote it. Every kid should have a montessori education.

I really didn't mean it that way. Montessori teaches kids concepts like focus and respecting personal space that don't come naturally to certain types of brains. It also allows children to move along at their own pace, which is really respectful to children with learning differences. Other types of brains prefer bright lighting, fast paced dynamic teachers, and tons of activity and stimulation, and they are ready to learn certain subjects earlier...they crave it. Im just dreaming about creating a school where children are respected for who they are, and learn joyfully and without shame...

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 8:39 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:

Yes! I want to work on this curriculum with you! And I want to direct the arts program in this school.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:09 pm
Tuition sponsored by the billionaire?

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:11 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:

Imo there needs to be a buy-in from the parents. But tuition will be mostly supplemented by said billionaire.

And parents are encouraged and welcomed to volunteer and assist. (If tuition is only a token amount, maybe one or both parents may have more time in their day).

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:13 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:

There needs to be some tuiton so the parents feel invested and don't take the school for granted. But a very low tuition based on income and family size. Most of the expenses need to be covered by our benevolent trillionaire, lol.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:13 pm
this

this is nice in theory. I sent to a school that was hoping to be the dream school. I really thought it was amaaaaazing at first but then as time went on it wasn't. we ended up pulling out our kids out and sending to a "regular" school. we weren't the only ones...

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:14 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Imo there needs to be a buy-in from the parents. But tuition will be mostly supplemented by said billionaire.

And parents are encouraged and welcomed to volunteer and assist. (If tuition is only a token amount, maybe one or both parents may have more time in their day).

Absolutely, parental input needs to be very respected. The administration and staff need to be trained in how to listen to and work together with parents. Vital.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 9:16 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
this

this is nice in theory. I sent to a school that was hoping to be the dream school. I really thought it was amaaaaazing at first but then as time went on it wasn't. we ended up pulling out our kids out and sending to a "regular" school. we weren't the only ones...

At the end of the day perfect doesn't exist, kids are kids and people are people...What went wrong?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics