Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Medicate for add or move to a smaller self contained class
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 10:19 pm
My daughter is six and has an add and general learning disability diagnosis. She is right now in a mainstream classroom and gets pulled out for reading and math. It is not really working though. She has zero behavior problems and does not make trouble in class but has a very hard time focusing. Would you faster medicate her and leave her mainstream or not medicate and move her to a smaller special Ed program like ichud.

healthymom1

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 10:22 pm
I would not medicate and just put in smaller class.
Long term effects of medication for these things aren’t so great
She is better off figuring her life out feeling her normal self than learning to rely on medication

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 10:32 pm
Why not do both? No need to handicap a child if medication can easily help her. Let her start medication and learn the skills needed to succeed mainstream (will hopefully be easier to learn when properly medicated). She can then transition back in a year or two when she has the skills to succeed.
(Btw, we recently started my similarly aged child with meds. It was so amazing how much it helped and how he child actually learn the proper tools when he couldn't without medication)

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 10:34 pm
healthymom1 wrote:
I would not medicate and just put in smaller class.
Long term effects of medication for these things aren’t so great
She is better off figuring her life out feeling her normal self than learning to rely on medication

I strongly feel the exact opposite. First of all, difficulty focusing doesn't necessarily resolve in a smaller class. But more importantly, I think it's terrible for her to think she can't manage what other girls her age can do. It's like saying a child whose foot was amputated is better off figuring out life feeling their normal selves rather than learning to rely on a prosthetic. Hashem gave us a tremendous gift in allowing us access to medication to overcome deficits. Why on earth wouldn't we take advantage of that? It's so damaging when a girl sees her peers advancing and she can't keep up no matter how hard she tries. I can't fathom closing that opportunity off.

And yes I'm well aware of all the possible side effects of medication. Taking everything into account, the benefits I've seen in so many children FAR outweigh any drawbacks.

healthymom1

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 10:35 pm
I wouldn’t give medicine before seeing if smaller class works. 6 is very very young to start ADD medication that will forever need to be upgraded to more mg and then different types.

She doesn’t have behavioral issues so she isn’t completely out of control just distracted or whatever.
Medication is helpful after other things are tried and don’t work.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 10:37 pm
I would do both. Medicate her so she can focus and a smaller class so she can learn the foundational skills she needs. Medication is a tool to help her learn so she doesn't need to struggle as much to grasp each thing even in a smaller class. You can reevaluate as time goes on when she is ready to switch to mainstream with the strong foundation of learning that she gained as well as if continued medication is necessary. You are not locked in to either one long term. Give her what will serve her best now and decide for later then. Children's needs are constantly changing.
Hatzlocha and peace of mind with your decision. Children with ADD are amazing people and can go very far as long as they are given the tools they need. She is lucky to have a mother who is open to helping her. Lots of nachas!!

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 10:38 pm
healthymom1 wrote:
I wouldn’t give medicine before seeing if smaller class works. 6 is very very young to start ADD medication that will forever need to be upgraded to more mg and then different types.

She doesn’t have behavioral issues so she isn’t completely out of control just distracted or whatever.
Medication is helpful after other things are tried and don’t work.

Any medication taken for a chronic condition has to be adjusted periodically. That's a really lazy reason not to start.

If she's being pulled out for small groups and it isn't effective, how will a small class be effective?

healthymom1

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 10:42 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Any medication taken for a chronic condition has to be adjusted periodically. That's a really lazy reason not to start.

If she's being pulled out for small groups and it isn't effective, how will a small class be effective?

Because getting pulled from class doesn’t feel good to anyone it’s happening to!!

It’s not her official class and her peers routines. She is the odd one out around them so that could effect her as well

It’s not lazy. 6 is very very young. I think it’s crazy to just jump to medicine so soon.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 10:47 pm
healthymom1 wrote:
Because getting pulled from class doesn’t feel good to anyone it’s happening to!!

It’s not her official class and her peers routines. She is the odd one out around them so that could effect her as well

It’s not lazy. 6 is very very young. I think it’s crazy to just jump to medicine so soon.

Edit- sorry, I missed the learning disability. It's possible she will need a smaller class anyway, but I still would not hesitate to start medication. I've heard from many parents that they wished they had started earlier, but I've never hear from a parent who regrets starting too early.

healthymom1

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 10:49 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
And I think it's crazy to put a child in a special ed class when the only deficit is lack of focus and medication can help her overcome that deficit What

Lol that’s what makes the world go round!!

Good luck OP

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 10:52 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
And I think it's crazy to put a child in a special ed class when the only deficit is lack of focus and medication can help her overcome that deficit What

She has a learning disability diagnosis as well as an add diagnosis. We are not talking about a brilliant kid that simply can’t focus. We are talking about a kid who has learning issues and then focusing issues on top making it even harder to learn...

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 10:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She has a learning disability diagnosis as well as an add diagnosis. We are not talking about a brilliant kid that simply can’t focus. We are talking about a kid who has learning issues and then focusing issues on top making it even harder to learn...

I realized that afterwards and edited my post. I would give her every tool for success.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 11:05 pm
I put my son in self contained classroom in first grade. He did great there but as soon as I put him back in regular classroom I had to medicate him within a week (or he would have been kicked out!!!)
Another child I put in self contained because he had some difficulties and it was a disaster, he thought the other kids were "dummies" and he was very angry!
It's a tough decision to make!

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 11:05 pm
Start with the small class. Carefully explain to her why - "we all have different kinds of minds, some of us learn best in a big classroom with lots going on, and some of us learn best with a few kids so we can really concentrate.". If she still cannot learn well, attempt the meds. Just remember, stimulant meds are powerful drugs that will need constant monitoring, and they can and do cause side icky effects.

In addition to the small class and meds, make sure she receives coaching for executive functioning skills and time management. This is crucial for her success in life. Best of luck!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 11:13 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Start with the small class. Carefully explain to her why - "we all have different kinds of minds, some of us learn best in a big classroom with lots going on, and some of us learn best with a few kids so we can really concentrate.". If she still cannot learn well, attempt the meds. Just remember, stimulant meds are powerful drugs that will need constant monitoring, and they can and do cause side icky effects.

In addition to the small class and meds, make sure she receives coaching for executive functioning skills and time management. This is crucial for her success in life. Best of luck!

If I moved her to a small class it would be in a new school
Where she knows no one. I am also very hesitant to put her on meds especially when there is no disruptive behavior issue. If she likes the therapist working with her she does wonders. She can’t stand her one on one reading morah this year and is making minimal progress her and won’t focus.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 11:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Where she knows no one. I am also very hesitant to put her on meds especially when there is no disruptive behavior issue. If she likes the therapist working with her she does wonders. She can’t stand her one on one reading morah this year and is making minimal progress her and won’t focus.

Ah, moving her to a new school is a whole 'nother kettle of fish...is she happy in her current school? Children with processing disorders are often u happy socially, does she have many friends in her current school? Would a fresh start in a better environment be helpful? It also makes sense that she can't learn from a morab she doesn't like. The absolute key to helping a child learn is a good relationship. The younger the child, the more was and positive and building the teacher needs to be, it is essential for a child with a processing disorder to feel her teacher likes her. Why doesn't your daughter feel like her reading teacher likes her? Can you speak to the principal about this?

Bleemee

Post Wed, Jan 27 2021, 11:43 pm
What are known long-term side effects of the medication?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 8:27 am
As a mom of a child with ADHD, I would tell you you'll probably have to medicate anyway, so try that first, but you may need both.

ADHD meds isn't only for disruptive behavior. If your child can't focus, she'll sit in class feeling like a dummy.

I'd rather deal with side effects of the meds than side effects of feeling terrible about yourself your entire life.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 9:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Have you asked your daughter what she prefers in terms of switching schools? A 6 year old girl should be able to somewhat understand the decision. If she is not feeling good about herself in her current classroom she may be happy to switch schools even though it seems scary to you.

healthymom1

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 9:18 am
Bleemee wrote:
What are known long-term side effects of the medication?

Since ADD meds are lower doses of speed it can eventually cause heart problems if taken a long time

Just like taking anti anxiety medication for a long time can cause depression

Is it solid across for the board for everyone. No. Nothing is. But medications have long term effects if taken a long time

(As per a nurse who’s been working in hospitals over 45 years)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics