Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
The golden handcuffs of working in a Yeshiva office

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 2:29 pm
I know golden handcuffs usually applies for very earning jobs but it applies to my job in a Yeshiva office as well! Where else will I find a job with such a nice enviroment, the focus is on the kids not increasing profits! I am off Erev Yom Tov and Chol hamoed. I have my own office and it is never a problem to bring a kid who has off or is not feeling 100 percent. I can for sure make more elsewhere but my kids tuition comes off my salary pretax which is a huge savings. I am not particularly challanged and there is no room for growth but it is just such a nice easy job in a really nice place. Anyone else feel the same? I just worry that in ten years when I can technically take a more demanding job no one will want to hire a 45 year old with no no experience and even if I do manage to find a job I am not going to want to start at the bottom end of the ladder, working 9-5 and probably be managed by someone at least ten years younger than me.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 2:31 pm
I think by the time you need something new it will come. For now if you're happy and your family is happy. If you enjoy and your school is happy with you. It's very valuable.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 2:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know golden handcuffs usually applies for very earning jobs but it applies to my job in a Yeshiva office as well! Where else will I find a job with such a nice enviroment, the focus is on the kids not increasing profits! I am off Erev Yom Tov and Chol hamoed. I have my own office and it is never a problem to bring a kid who has off or is not feeling 100 percent. I can for sure make more elsewhere but my kids tuition comes off my salary pretax which is a huge savings. I am not particularly challanged and there is no room for growth but it is just such a nice easy job in a really nice place. Anyone else feel the same? I just worry that in ten years when I can technically take a more demanding job no one will want to hire a 45 year old with no no experience and even if I do manage to find a job I am not going to want to start at the bottom end of the ladder, working 9-5 and probably be managed by someone at least ten years younger than me.

45 is not old anymore! I would take the time in an easy job like that to have all the kids I wanted to have and maybe (!) get another degree online. Or indulge in hobbies after work. And/or networking. When you are 45 and the kids are older, you will be ready to enter a different kind of a position.

Fox

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 2:57 pm
Don't sell yourself short, OP! No Gamestop puns intended.

People who work in yeshiva offices develop a huge range of talents and skills that people in less heimish atmospheres don't have the opportunity to master.

You don't mention your specific job responsibilities, but just knowing how yeshiva offices operate, I'm guessing you have experience in the following:

* Developing and maintaining client/customer relationships (e.g., dealing with parents).
* Developing and maintaining vendor relationships.
* Working with professional staff to increase their effectiveness.
* Organizing and monitoring fundraising campaigns.
* Maintaining accounts payable and/or receivable.
* Managing facilities and contracting for ongoing maintenance and repairs.
* Maintaining needed government records and interacting with regulatory agents as needed.
* Using a variety of software packages, including databases, accounting, and MS Office.
* Drafting and/or editing correspondence and reports needed by administrators and board.
* Organizing and handling day-to-day tasks required for special events.
* Supervising mailings and communications to clients/customers/constituent groups.

Have I cracked the surface, even? I didn't even include dispensing ice packs and Band Aids! And all of these skills -- or at least an understanding of them -- are vitally important in virtually any industry or job.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 3:13 pm
Fox wrote:

People who work in yeshiva offices develop a huge range of talents and skills that people in less heimish atmospheres don't have the opportunity to master.

You don't mention your specific job responsibilities, but just knowing how yeshiva offices operate, I'm guessing you have experience in the following:

* Developing and maintaining client/customer relationships (e.g., dealing with parents).
* Maintaining needed government records and interacting with regulatory agents as needed.
* Using a variety of software packages, including databases, accounting, and MS Office.
* Drafting and/or editing correspondence and reports needed by administrators and board.
* Supervising mailings and communications to clients/customers/constituent groups.

Have I cracked the surface, even? I didn't even include dispensing ice packs and Band Aids! And all of these skills -- or at least an understanding of them -- are vitally important in virtually any industry or job.

Thank you so much for posting this Fox. I work in a Yeshiva Office. I am in my forties and while I love working there, I often wonder what salary I could be worth in another environment. Your post has greatly raised my self esteem.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 4:00 pm
Fox wrote:

I was thinking all this too!. But had no time to write it. Also at the end of the day. You seemed happy and that's very important.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 4:04 pm
I get you OP! I have an office job that doesn't pay much but my bosses are nice and flexible with holidays and I have great benefits!

naomi2

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 4:10 pm
Fox, turns out you are smart AND kind. You took the time to write a comprehensive and well written post to help a fellow amother understand how valuable her job is.

trixx

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 5:19 pm
I got reminded of this post, idk if you're same op but maybe responses will help

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....97356

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 28 2021, 5:54 pm
Yup I totally relate. Don't work in a yeshiva office but I'm employed by a wonderful, family run heimish business. My boss is wonderful and always pushing me to put my family first. I get paid full yomim tovim plus erev/chol hamoed. Taking off for a sick kid or a school play is never a problem. I love, love my job benefits but hate the actual work itself! Most days I'm just so unstimulated I feel like screaming. I'm pretty much maxed out salarywise and there's zero room for growth.
I just started school which will allow me to work in a field I've always dreamed of in a couple of years. Bh I'm able to work it around my wonderful, flexible job and the challenge I get from school is keeping burnout at bay.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics