Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Masks Work
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 5:29 am
Masks.
its a bad word these days.
Masks.
It makes some people foam at the mouth. Like I can tolerate my hosiery, my wig, covering everything even when its 100 degrees outside, but make me wear a mask and I can't deal.
Masks. The little piece of fabric in front of your mouth and nose, can help you avoid a 4-5 (at best) weeks of suffering.
Let me tell you something. Wear a mask to protect yourself. for those of us suffering from chronic migraines and fatigue, I'm telling you its worth the annoyance. Fighting for the freedom to get sick, is how I see it. I was very careful with masks, but did everything I needed to do. I went shopping. I went to work. but I went to a wedding without a mask, bec. I was embarrassed to wear it when everyone is mocking social distancing, and it seemed like I was the only person that was afraid.
It wasn't worth it.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 5:45 am
The problem seems to be that people wear masks in low risk situations, such as large uncrowded supermarkets, but take them off at social gatherings such as weddings so if that's what people do, than of course they don't work.

Gracie

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 5:49 am
Thanks for posting this OP and refua shelaima.
There definitely seems to be mask fatigue, which is understandable, but especially now with the new variants they're super important. Social pressure should encourage people to keep their masks ON, but unfortunately it works in the other direction in many of our communities Sad

asmileaday

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 5:50 am
Funny you should say that. I just came across a CNN article that had this statement

Quote:
A single-layer mask isn't really effective in blocking aerosols, studies show, and even homemade two- and three-ply fabric masks are only partially protective -- somewhere in the 50% to 60% range of effectiveness.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/0......html

So what are we gonna do now? Force everyone to double mask?

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 5:53 am
asmileaday wrote:
Funny you should say that. I just came across a CNN article that had this statement

Quote:
A single-layer mask isn't really effective in blocking aerosols, studies show, and even homemade two- and three-ply fabric masks are only partially protective -- somewhere in the 50% to 60% range of effectiveness.

No but what if it means 55% fewer cases?

asmileaday

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 5:54 am
southernbubby wrote:
No but what if it means 55% fewer cases?

That's for homemade double or triple ply.
The masks the majority wears and gives you a sense of safety is an illusion.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 5:57 am
asmileaday wrote:
That's for homemade double or triple ply.
The masks the majority wears and gives you a sense of safety is an illusion.

Most of the ones you can buy are also triple ply

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 6:00 am
I wore a mask, and went on the train daily. Even with the mask. I tried to have as much space between me and other people, and I didn't get it until I was with a crowd without a mask completely. a layer of fabric is better than none. My masks had more than 1 layer, and more comfortable than a medical mask.
Now that there is a more contagious variant, they're suggesting that it may not work as well. Do with it what you may. What I'm trying to tell you is that you can spare yourself weeks of agony. Even a mild case is hard. Not being able to take care of your family. Its worth putting on an annoying mask.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 6:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Masks.
its a bad word these days.
Masks.
It makes some people foam at the mouth. Like I can tolerate my hosiery, my wig, covering everything even when its 100 degrees outside, but make me wear a mask and I can't deal.
Masks. The little piece of fabric in front of your mouth and nose, can help you avoid a 4-5 (at best) weeks of suffering.
Let me tell you something. Wear a mask to protect yourself. for those of us suffering from chronic migraines and fatigue, I'm telling you its worth the annoyance. Fighting for the freedom to get sick, is how I see it. I was very careful with masks, but did everything I needed to do. I went shopping. I went to work. but I went to a wedding without a mask, bec. I was embarrassed to wear it when everyone is mocking social distancing, and it seemed like I was the only person that was afraid.
It wasn't worth it.

Refuah shleima.
I'm sorry you got sick.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 6:10 am
asmileaday wrote:

Quote:

Most masks aren't one layer. But I'd be happy if everyone wore 60% effective masks at all times.

Stop letting perfect be the enemy of helpful.

The pill is only 91% effective. But if you don't want to conceive, you're not going to say oh well, still a risk, forget it.

People in seat belts still die or are injured in car accidents. But I still use them.

We need to reduce risks when we can.

miami85

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 6:17 am
The issue is that they were touted as "THE CURE-ALL" by a certain politician-now-president when most people WERE wearing them. The virus didn't go away when we were ALL LOCKED DOWN FOR 3 MONTHS. How did he assume that "just wear a mask" was going to make the virus go away. Masks may "help a bit" in certain situations, but I know at least several people who got while following the rules. I went to a wedding, I wore a mask--even though most people weren't--but there were plenty of times it was impractical.Eating, talking while music was playing, a picture here and there. B"H I didn't get it. All a mask does is "makes it look like you are doing something." Hashem knows where you are and if you are meant to get it, all it takes is minimal exposure to get this virus and that's that. B"H now the virus has a 99% survival rate so hopefully you will be ok.

Last edited by miami85 on Fri, Jan 29 2021, 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 6:25 am
miami85 wrote:
The issue is that they were touted as "THE CURE-ALL" by a certain politician-now-president when most people WERE wearing them. The virus didn't go away when we were ALL LOCKED DOWN FOR # MONTHS. How did he assume that "just wear a mask" was going to make the virus go away. Masks may "help a bit" in certain situations, but I know at least several people who got while following the rules. I went to a wedding, I wore a mask--even though most people weren't--but there were plenty of times it was impractical.Eating, talking while music was playing, a picture here and there. B"H I didn't get it. All a mask does is "makes it look like you are doing something." Hashem knows where you are and if you are meant to get it, all it takes is minimal exposure to get this virus and that's that. B"H now the virus has a 99% survival rate so hopefully you will be ok.

A lot of people who wear masks consistently also avoid social gatherings so the fact that they wear masks to the doctor or the supermarket may or may not be protecting them because they may not have been exposed to begin with.
I would assume that an airplane full of passengers would have a few people who are contagious and it's worth the discomfort to wear a good mask.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 6:30 am
miami85 wrote:
The issue is that they were touted as "THE CURE-ALL" by a certain politician-now-president when most people WERE wearing them. The virus didn't go away when we were ALL LOCKED DOWN FOR # MONTHS. How did he assume that "just wear a mask" was going to make the virus go away. Masks may "help a bit" in certain situations, but I know at least several people who got while following the rules. I went to a wedding, I wore a mask--even though most people weren't--but there were plenty of times it was impractical.Eating, talking while music was playing, a picture here and there. B"H I didn't get it. All a mask does is "makes it look like you are doing something." Hashem knows where you are and if you are meant to get it, all it takes is minimal exposure to get this virus and that's that. B"H now the virus has a 99% survival rate so hopefully you will be ok.

I didn't go to indoor simchas. I didn't go to sit down simchas or places people don't wear masks.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 6:38 am
asmileaday wrote:

Quote:

I was in a cab the other day, and the driver was double masked. I didn't say a word. Maybe he has a wife at home with a high risk pregnancy. You can't judge people for wanting to be extra careful.

The thing about masks, is that it needs to pass the "candle test". If you can blow out a birthday candle with your mask on, then your mask isn't protecting anyone else, and it's probably not doing anything for you, either.

Still, I'd take a 50% or 60% effective protection over no protection at all. That just seems logical. If you have a mask that provides 80% protection, that's even better.

miami85

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 7:25 am
southernbubby wrote:
A lot of people who wear masks consistently also avoid social gatherings so the fact that they wear masks to the doctor or the supermarket may or may not be protecting them because they may not have been exposed to begin with.
I would assume that an airplane full of passengers would have a few people who are contagious and it's worth the discomfort to wear a good mask.

I flew recently--I wore my mask the whole time--but they showed a video about how with the filtration systems in place there's a .003 particle transfer rate.

I've made my own masks with 2 layers of tightly woven cotton and a non-woven interfacing.

miami85

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 7:42 am
LovesHashem wrote:
I didn't go to indoor simchas. I didn't go to sit down simchas or places people don't wear masks.

I'm not sure what your point is.

The point is that is YOUR CHOICE. YOUR CHOICE to limit your exposure.

Masks are a personal choice because they are only SO effective depending on how you are wearing them, the materials they are made from (again your choice),

Your choice to go to a wedding or go by zoom.

Anything in life is a choice there IS no "all good" or "all bad" choice in this world.

In MY personal situation, I assessed my risk as low, so I acted accordingly. With any medicine, food, actiivity a person has to assess their risk. But do I believe that the "mask" is saving me? No. Do I follow the rules? Yes.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 8:52 am
I agree with you OP. I took care of a special needs unmasked child who was covid positive. (Including feeding and diaper changing.)
I have not had covid.
I have zero antibodies.
I firmly believe my N95 mask saved me from getting infected. (I tested negative one week and again two weeks after exposure.)

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 8:57 am
We know this. But no amount of “masks help” posts will change the very fixed minds of the “Covid is over” crew.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 9:10 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
We know this. But no amount of “masks help” posts will change the very fixed minds of the “Covid is over” crew.

True, but maybe it'll help the "I believe I should be wearing a mask, but I'm embarrassed to go places with one" crowd.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 9:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
True, but maybe it'll help the "I believe I should be wearing a mask, but I'm embarrassed to go places with one" crowd.

Non masked people are the one who should be embarrassed.
Is this like HS where it is cool to push the boundary of tnuis?
Or cool to not do your homework or study?

I like to say that I would gladly be the only one in the room with a mask, the truth is that I would leave the place running. Yes, I did walk out of a family simcha because I was not comfortable with the precautions taken.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics