Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
How do you pronounce the word, pesos?

How do you pronounce pesos?
Pesos  
 44%  [ 41 ]
Paisos  
 54%  [ 50 ]
Other  
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 92

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 9:42 am
If you’re a spanish native, you pronounce it the way it’s supposed to be pronounced, obviously. My parents always say paisos, no matter how many times I told them it’s pesos. I thought it was just them, but I came from the American embassy this morning and the woman asking for money also said paisos, as well as a person who was paying. They were both American.

Probably most of you never even thought about it, but how do you pronounce it?

Frumme

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 9:49 am
Pesos but I know exactly the phenomenon you're talking about. Thinking about it now I think my mom says "peisos" TMI and I even might pronounce it that way if I'm throwing it into an English conversation

I guess it's like the Ashkenazi tzeirei vs Modern Hebrew tzeirei. LOL

zaq

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 11:59 am
Frumme wrote:
Pesos but I know exactly the phenomenon you're talking about. Thinking about it now I think my mom says "peisos" TMI and I even might pronounce it that way if I'm throwing it into an English conversation

I guess it's like the Ashkenazi tzeirei vs Modern Hebrew tzeirei. LOL
More like Sefaradi kever vs Ashkenazi keiver. Oh--I see. I read that as "tze-I-rei" as in Tzeirei Agudat Yisrael or Tzeirei Agudas Yisroel, in which case the vowels are pretty close and it's the consonants that make the difference. You meant the vowel "Tzereh" . Wouldn't it be nice if English were a phonetic language?

Well, there are Murricans who eat "eigs" and break "leigs" too.

turca

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 12:28 pm
I’m not voting because I’m a native Spanish speaker. It has to do with the fact that English has a lot of variance. Think about how a native English speaker would pronounce “Decatur” and how a native Spanish speaker would pronounce.

zaq

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 12:52 pm
Q: So is it Jeff BAYzos or Jeff BEZos?
A: Jeff PESos!

trixx

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 1:29 pm
I say pesos but I don't rlly pretend to put on a Spanish accent.

avrahamama

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 1:42 pm
I say peisos. That's how they say it in the cowboy movies so it must be authentic... lol 😂

tigerwife

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 2:31 pm
That’s so funny. As a non-Spanish speaker, I always assumed it was PAYsos. Although when I think about it, I don’t know why I made that assumption. I am more familiar with French pronunciation maybe? You do learn new things every day!

Frumme

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 5:14 pm
zaq wrote:
More like Sefaradi kever vs Ashkenazi keiver. Oh--I see. I read that as "tze-I-rei" as in Tzeirei Agudat Yisrael or Tzeirei Agudas Yisroel, in which case the vowels are pretty close and it's the consonants that make the difference. You meant the vowel "Tzereh" . Wouldn't it be nice if English were a phonetic language?

Well, there are Murricans who eat "eigs" and break "leigs" too.

Tomato, tomat-- oh wait Wink

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jan 30 2021, 1:10 pm
I'm not a native speaker, but in my 4 years of Spanish classes, my first two years were with a native Mexican speaker, the third year was with a woman from Puerto Rico, and the fourth year was with a man from Barcelona.

Talk about confusing!

piegirl

Post Sat, Jan 30 2021, 8:22 pm
Pesos but I used to be pretty fluent in Spanish. Thanks mom for hiring Spanish speaking babysitter/ housekeepers.

Mothers

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 12:22 am
https://www.howtopronounce.com/pesos

https://www.howtopronounce.com/spanish/peso

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 12:28 am
In English, the word is pronounced PEY-sohz.

In Spanish, its pronounced PE-saws.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 7:47 am
SixOfWands wrote:
In English, the word is pronounced PEY-sohz.

In Spanish, its pronounced PE-saws.

How does this make sense? If we go according to this than this in spanish is dees and rice in chinese is lice. The accent would be according to the language. Same languages have different accents, but if you’re saying a totally different language, than it’s that languages accent.

Frumme

Post Sun, Jan 31 2021, 7:57 am
I think it has to do with how most English speakers would say the word without prior knowledge. Doesn't mean it's the correct way to say it e.g. the state of Montana should really be pronounced Montaña, and the state of Vermont shouldn't have the T pronounced because it's originally a French word. Also has to do with how English speakers hear it. Why do we say "Havana" in English when it's "la Habana"? Is it "Peking" or "Beijing"?

"Peisos" sounds correct in Spanglish, so that's why it proliferates.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics