Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Non essential travel banned nyc!??
Previous  1  2

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 2:26 pm
sky wrote:
They have shut down ny before with no snow.

In 2015 they called for the storm of the century. We had a family simcha that night. The wedding was pushed up. The guests came in early and decided to sleep over. At 11 we left the simcha terrified but the streets were empty with some flurries.
The guests from NY really wanted to drive home but bridges into NY were closed and it was illegal to drive so they all had to sleep over. (Even mass transit was shut down in nyc) In the end there was less then 10 in snow in NY.

10 inches isn't "no snow." of course. Its pretty significant in NYC, which isn't all that good at handling snow.

But things do happen. I recall a major snowstorm missing us over Shabbat. City crews were out frantically salting although there was no longer any snow forecast. I saw them on my way to shul, asked them about it, and they shrugged. They were told to salt, they were being paid to salt, they salted.

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 2:27 pm
They were right for stopping non essential travel.
Just now in front of my house there is an ambulance blocking traffic- because they can’t park to a side without having trouble....and all cars and busses are getting stuck behind it.

ETA- not that I agree with his other decisions.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 3:07 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I'm sorry. This has something to do with non-essential travel during an anticipated blizzard because ......

Merely pointing out that the same DeBlazio thats inconveniencing BP with snow bans is the same guy who is de-prioritizing BP vis a vis vaccines for nefarious motives

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 3:23 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Merely pointing out that the same DeBlazio thats inconveniencing BP with snow bans is the same guy who is de-prioritizing BP vis a vis vaccines for nefarious motives

We get it . Dems are the scum of the earth and are doing everything to destroy life as we know it; Reps are the salt of the earth and the salvation of humanity. Give it a rest and go post in the Politics forum. There was a reason it was made invisible: so that reasonable human beings would be able to discuss innocuous topics like the weather without being subjected to the hectoring of wild-eyed political extremists forwarding their self-righteous hate-filled agendas.

elsily

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 3:36 pm
I live OOT in a snowy area and during blizzards or blizzard-like conditions, it’s very common that they ask everyone to stay off the road except for essential travel. Anyone who needs to go to work (essential worker) is allowed. Medical workers have an emergency pass on the ID badge so they can pass if pulled over.

GetReal

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 3:42 pm
elsily wrote:
I live OOT in a snowy area and during blizzards or blizzard-like conditions, it’s very common that they ask everyone to stay off the road except for essential travel. Anyone who needs to go to work (essential worker) is allowed. Medical workers have an emergency pass on the ID badge so they can pass if pulled over.

They have travel bans during bad weather here too. And de Blasio isn’t our mayor!

exaustedmom

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 3:52 pm
Bill DeBlasio is a truly horrible mayor and human being BUT he is not wrong here. The roads now are really bad. It makes sense to keep cars off the road during a blizzard for non essential travel.

trixx

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 5:33 pm
exaustedmom wrote:
Bill DeBlasio is a truly horrible mayor and human being BUT he is not wrong here. The roads now are really bad. It makes sense to keep cars off the road during a blizzard for non essential travel.

OK so I came back to say - turns out the weather is horrible. But look at the replies to his tweet, some gold there, like "to clarify is it 2wk til the snow melts or a year" lol something to that effect. Which just highlights the publics perception of him.

shanie5

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 10:10 pm
One of my children was born in NY right before a snowstorm. Only 4 wheel drive vehicles were allowed on the roads then. This was 1995.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics