Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Traveling with a Toddler in a Mask
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 8:35 am
Hi! What’s it like traveling with toddlers on planes these days? Are they enforcing mask wearing? My 2 year old is constantly removing her mask when we are in places that require a mask. She is just clearly confused and uncomfortable . We are thinking of traveling to family for pesach. I’m scared we will be kicked off the plane, because she has a hard time keeping her mask on. Did anybody have a positive experience lately?

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 8:59 am
They are such hypocrites..sitting squashed together no breathing room.....every seat filled...but when you get off plane you gotta SD! Insane world. Mask don't protect Dah! Fact! Wink

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 9:06 am
It is up to the flight crew how strict they would like to be. Most airlines do have rules that 2 year olds need to wear masks so technically they would have the right to kick you off if they felt like it. I personally wouldn't travel at this point if I didnt have to but if possible you should fly delta as they have the most leeway with their mask policy.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 9:31 am
I don't think that anyone should travel now if they have kids that don't like wearing masks. Airlines are upset enough at jews, we don't need to create additional hate and problems. If your child can't wear a mask, stay home. It's not the right time for travel now.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 9:37 am
They are veryyyy strict with masks! During the flight they walk up and down the aisle to check that everyone is wearing their mask. If a person is sleeping and their mask slips off their nose they wake them up!

doctorima

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 10:30 am
I believe that Delta is the only airline that allows 2 (but not 3!) year olds to not wear a mask, but you need to confirm that with them, as these policies are constantly changing (and may still change before Pesach due to Biden or if things get worse).

Definitely bring a copy of her birth certificate proving his age, and it will help if she looks young. There have definitely been lots of horror stories of families being kicked off for non-compliant kids, including several frum families, so I would not take a chance if you're violating any airline rules.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 10:48 am
I just flew with a 2 year old and they were very pleasant and understanding about her wearing a mask. It depends on the flight crew, some will be kids and some will be nasty.
You don’t need a mask while eating, so if it’s a short flight I would say bring a lot of snacks and have her eat whenever possible.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 11:37 am
Have her practice at home. Bribe with screen time. She can watch all the peppa she wants so long as she wears a mask, for example

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 12:14 pm
My toddler hates wearing a mask and there is no way she can keep it on for more than a few minutes. Even though I really wanted to fly somewhere recently we did not because I don’t need to be the next frum family in the news thrown off a plane for non-compliance.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 12:28 pm
The way I got my 2 yr old to wear a mask, was I told her that she could have her pacifier in her mouth under the mask. That did the trick. She was willing to wear it that way. The pacifier also helped pull the mask in a way that it didn’t feel suffocating and flat across her face . By now she’s willing to wear one even without a paci.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 12:37 pm
You don't need to wear a mask while eating. So we fed our 2 year old the entire flight.. brought lots of exciting snacks.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 12:39 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
The way I got my 2 yr old to wear a mask, was I told her that she could have her pacifier in her mouth under the mask. That did the trick. She was willing to wear it that way. The pacifier also helped pull the mask in a way that it didn’t feel suffocating and flat across her face . By now she’s willing to wear one even without a paci.
That's really smart.

I would not fly with a two year old on an airline that expects two year olds to be masked, personally.

spiritualsoul

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 1:24 pm
I had a very good experience with Delta. They're known for not being strict with kids in masks. My kids had their masks on, but when my daughter took it off half an hour into the flight, they didn't say a word. Delta would be your best bet.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 1:26 pm
Any experiences with spirit?

doctorima

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 1:39 pm
CDC's updated rules now only exempt kids UNDER 2, in which case a 2-year-old would be required to mask on flights, though enforcement will depend on the individual crew. With recent current events, it's not a risk I'd be comfortable taking:

https://apnews.com/article/joe.....c94a4

SuperWify

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 2:18 pm
Since covid I have flown 4 times (8 flights) with my 3.5 year old. Only one time did I get a hard time from from one specific flight attendant.

Everyone else was understanding.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 2:20 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Since covid I have flown 4 times (8 flights) with my 3.5 year old. Only one time did I get a hard time from from one specific flight attendant.

Everyone else was understanding.

A 3.5 year old is perfectly capable of wearing a mask.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 2:23 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:

Maybe for a short trip to the grocery store. But it is very difficult for most little kids to wear masks for an extended period of time. My 4yo is slightly sensory and never wears a mask- it bothers her and she doesn’t care about the reasoning behind it.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 2:25 pm
Biden signed some executive order requiring airlines to be even stricter and to really enforce the mask wearing. So don’t be surprised that those that were more lenient won’t be lenient now.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 2:26 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:

Maybe your 3.5 year old is, but many others are not. Many little kids have trouble wearing a mask.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics