Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Looking for provider who takes insurance

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 10:18 am
We suspect my 9 year old daughter has ADHD and possibly (related) anxiety. She was already “diagnosed” by a pediatric neurologist. I put that in quotes because I don’t believe his evaluation was thorough or complete. Our pediatrician agrees with me and would like us to see a pediatric psychiatrist. However, the few he recommends are all ones who do not take insurance, and we cannot afford even half an evaluation.
Can anyone recommend a good pediatric psychiatrist who takes Empire BCBS through Medicaid? I’ve been looking into OHEL’s services as well, if anyone has someone to recommend there or advice, I’d be very grateful.

nmf2010

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 2:26 pm
When we lived in NY, it was incredibly difficult to find any psychologists who took insurance Sad We actually never found one, so we didn't have any support. Now we're OOT, and B"H we found a great team to help us with our DS.

So no advice, but lots of hugs and tefilos for siyata dishmaya in finding the right shaliach to help you!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 5:08 pm
nmf2010 wrote:
When we lived in NY, it was incredibly difficult to find any psychologists who took insurance Sad We actually never found one, so we didn't have any support. Now we're OOT, and B"H we found a great team to help us with our DS.

So no advice, but lots of hugs and tefilos for siyata dishmaya in finding the right shaliach to help you!

Thank you, this means a lot to me! One problem I’m having personally is feeling very alone in this.
My husband has severe ADHD himself and is approaching this differently than I am...

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 6:35 pm
Unfortunately, it is very hard to find a private practitioner who accepts insurance. I would suggest calling the behavioral health departments of nearby hospitals. They often accept medicaid and you can get some very good doctors (mostly at teaching hospitals). You might also want to try calling RELIEF (718)4319501 for a referral. Wishing you success.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 7:04 pm
Just want to comment that ADHD and anxiety can look very similar in children, and you are right to seek an accurate diagnosis. Treatment for the two disorders are very different! I wish I had a practical idea for you but unfortunately I don't Sad

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 4:02 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Unfortunately, it is very hard to find a private practitioner who accepts insurance. I would suggest calling the behavioral health departments of nearby hospitals. They often accept medicaid and you can get some very good doctors (mostly at teaching hospitals). You might also want to try calling RELIEF (718)4319501 for a referral. Wishing you success.

Thank you, this is so helpful!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)