Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Lunch for child on stimulant medication?

nmf2010

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 2:10 pm
Hi all. This is my first post in this forum Smile

I have a 9 year old DS with ADHD. He's been on stimulant medication for about a year now, and it's been a lifesaver. Recently though, he's been really bothered by the appetite suppression that the medication is causing him. It wasn't such an issue while we were on lockdown because he tends to eat more at home, but since school restarted in September, it's become a real issue. He refuses to even take snack. All he wants is cookies and cake, and I don't offer those to my kids for snack on a regular basis.

Any thoughts or ideas for what I can send him for lunch?

Thanks!

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 2:14 pm
I make sure he eats a good breakfast and a good dinner and I am just resigned to the fact that he doesn't really eat during the day.

nmf2010

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 2:17 pm
That was what I was doing. But then it exploded because he can't stand it. It makes him really upset to not be hungry, and he was starting to resist his medication Sad

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 2:18 pm
I would let him take carbs. Ie cookies and cake. It’s really hard to force down a nauseating protein when you have no appetite. At least carbs are appealing. I prepare a smoothie for my kid so that’s appetizing as well. Fruit and yogurt and milk and depending if your child will tolerate the texture protein powder as well.

imasinger

Post Mon, Feb 01 2021, 2:20 pm
Something else is going on here.

It would be unusual if this were the whole story.

Talk to him more.

And think creatively about food. If he eats cake, would he eat kugel? Veggies or crackers and dip?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)