Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Sister's dd with poss ASD-talk me through process in Israel

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 12:26 pm
My sister's 5yo dd has been showing signs of ASD for years. She's finally going to have her daughter assessed, and obviously really nervous about it all. We all think she's still in denial that her dd has anything serious and have been trying to support her without pressuring her. So we're all really happy that she's agreed to assess.
My sister lives in Israel and we're all in America, so we can't offer much actual support. She keeps thinking about moving back but wants to see if it will be better for her dd there.
Can any imas who've been through the process, specifically in Israel, help explain what will happen, what are her options, are there any support groups etc? Are there any schools that specialize in ASD?
What services/therapies are available in Israel? She's in the J.lem area. Would she have help and support at home? She has several kids, 3 younger and one older and struggles with keeping them all occupied anyway. I don't think she will cope at doing therapies herself.
And do you think that staying in Israel would be best for her dd?
Sorry if this is too long. I'm just worried for her and for her dd. I'm not going to push her to move back if the therapies and schools are better than what she can get here. (btw both her and her dh are Americans and only speak English at home. My sister doesn't really know any hebrew, even though she's been there for years now. My bil knows more. I don't know if that would make a difference)

Any guidance or support you can give would be most gratefully received.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 12:34 pm
I have ASD and live in israel.

Everything depend on how high functioning she is. I attended a mainstream school and got therapies on the side and was able to fully integrate into society. There's not really support groups unless someone is severely autistic.

How severe is her ASD?

Success10

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 12:37 pm
I don't know much about the topic. I just want to comment that you are really jumping the gun here. 5 is not late to go for an evaluation, and your sister is not necessarily in denial, as many kids outgrow things on their own. And if the child is diagnosed, it's a big spectrum, and she may not need a special school, or help at home. She may do very well in a regular school with side therapies. Many of your questions just can't be answered yet without a diagnosis.

I know you want the best for your sister and niece, but take it one step at a time. And show your sister you believe in her.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 1:14 pm
I live in Israel we moved to Israel when my son was 10 he has high functioning it was the best thing we ever did.
Your sister should speak to her doctor who will organise a assesment then she will no fir sure there are after school activities through local organisations
Plus a monthly money from bituch lumi to help with babysitter's tell your sister to email me I'm happy to help her
chanahsgrossman@gmail.com

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 1:19 pm
She can contact Chaim V'Chesed - it's a free organization to help Americans/chutznikim in Israel.
https://chaimvchessed.com/ They have many, many contacts and a lot of info.
From their site: If you need assistance, please contact us from Israel at 072-CHESSED (243-7733) or from the US at (718) 407-2448.
g'luck, op!

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Feb 02 2021, 3:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

And do you think that staying in Israel would be best for her dd?
Sorry if this is too long. I'm just worried for her and for her dd. I'm not going to push her to move back if the therapies and schools are better than what she can get here. (btw both her and her dh are Americans and only speak English at home. My sister doesn't really know any hebrew, even though she's been there for years now. My bil knows more. I don't know if that would make a difference)

Surely whether or not to stay in Israel is a decision that she and her husband have to make, not a sister in chutz l'aretz trying to be helpful? And that decision has to encompass balancing what is best for the whole family, not just one daughter.

In America, I don't know what kind if health coverage she might have. Here a lot of services will be free or significantly discounted by kupat Cholim.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 6:09 am
Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm going to try and reply to most of the comments.
I work in special ed, and have done for a long time. I've worked with children with a whole range of differing needs and have created programs for parents before. That's why my sister trusts me to support her. I don't consider myself a top expert or dr, but I'm coming from my own experiences and knowledge. She won't be talking really to anyone else in the family as I don't think she wants it discussed, which I totally get. She talks to me as she knows I have that experience.
If I would tell her she would get so much more moving back, I think she would take that seriously. Obviously there are other considerations, but a large part of them currently staying in Israel is that they think dd can get the support there. I feel like there is great stuff in Israel, but is that for ASD as well? I've worked with one child with a medical condition and they moved to Israel because of what they had for them.
I don't know my niece so well as they haven't visited so often recently, but from the little I've seen, and the more I've heard, it's not a question of whether it's ASD. At this point it's hard to know what level, I'm inclined to moderate, but it's hard to say.
They have an assessment with the dr in a couple of weeks. I want to know what happens from there. I don't think my sister will cope well with listening to a social worker or whoever they give as support.
Basically, whatever knowledge people can give, I would be grateful.

lollipop

Post Sun, Apr 04 2021, 11:18 pm
This website lists rights and benefits for kids with ASD in Israel https://www.kolzchut.org.il/en/Autism

There are various schooling options for kids with ASD depending on functioning (and religious position)

1. Special schools - Sulam and Shtilim are 2 names that I’ve heard
2. Special classes within mainstream schools (kitot tikshoret). There also are Ganei tikshoret.
3. Individual mainstreaming with an aide in a regular class in a regular school.

One challenge is that there are fewer girls with ASD diagnoses than boys, so most kitot tikshoret are co-ed or boys only, but there may be some that are all girls.

Feel free to pm or respond with more questions.

ora_43

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 3:25 am
Assessment - she goes to her pediatrician, who will refer her to התפתחות הילד, a child development clinic. She will be given forms for herself/her husband to fill out, and forms for her child's teacher to fill out. She brings those forms with her to her appointment at the child development clinic.

Assessment can be a process, especially at that age. The psychologist may want to see the child and parents for multiple sessions. A neurologist will probably be involved as well.

Jerusalem is the best place to be (in Israel) for a frum family if she does have ASD. There are more religious options there.

What the options are, depends on her specific needs. The three main options are as lollipop said.

Therapies tend to be good. Any program is going to want some involvement from the parents, as well, but parents won't be expected to provide therapy on their own.

She won't get help at home (unless the diagnosis is severe autism), but if the diagnosis is autism she will get a monthly stipend that will more than cover the cost of services, and hopefully get your sister some help at home too if necessary. Special classes and schools for children with autism also tend to have longer hours, if that helps (finishing at 4pm or 5pm instead of 1pm).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)