Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Pasta healthy alternative
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 12:37 am
I love pasta but must lose weight.
Please share a healthy alternative!

honeymoon

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 12:41 am
Brown rice, quinoa

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 12:51 am
honeymoon wrote:
Brown rice, quinoa

Thank but I think I wasn’t clear. I want pasta, but healthy imitations. Rice and quinoa are way different 🙂

essie14

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 1:04 am
Konjac noodles
Search for it on Amazon. I dont know what's available with a hechsher in US but in Israel there is a brand called Skinny Pasta.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 1:11 am
Zoodles?

TBH, I found that trying to have different meals instead of substitutes works much better for me. Like I wouldn't go nuts trying to make a pasta sub on Pesach, I'll make a delicious meal that doesn't call for pasta at all. Otherwise I will always feel like I'm settling.

Frumme

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 1:12 am
I like to sub pasta half and half with pasta-like foods. Then I feel satisfied as if I had pasta but didn't really have a whole bowl of it. For example:

Noodle stir fry with enoki mushrooms. Enoki mushrooms give you the feel of noodles, so you can put in half the amount you usually do.

Eggplant pasta. Slice eggplant into thin, linguine-sized pieces; roast. Make your usual linguine dish but sub half of it with the eggplant "pasta." Works great with dairy dishes.

It could even be easier like subbing half white pasta and half whole wheat and slowly switching to entirely whole wheat (or chickpea pasta etc)

Teomima

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 1:14 am
There's a bunch of different pastas made out of beans, some of which are pretty good. High in protein which is a great bonus.

Buckwheat noodles are another healthier alternative.

Or eat regular pasta, just limit portion size.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 4:12 am
Spaghetti squash

icedcoffee

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 9:42 am
I LOVE regular pasta but I found the chickpea or lentil pasta is a fairly decent alternative. One of our favorite dishes is to make it with sauteed garlic and onion in a little olive oil along with some red chili crisps and kale, and salt and pepper.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 9:51 am
Just eat less of it less often

Signed a fellow pasta lover

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 9:56 am
Frumme wrote:
I like to sub pasta half and half with pasta-like foods. Then I feel satisfied as if I had pasta but didn't really have a whole bowl of it. For example:

Noodle stir fry with enoki mushrooms. Enoki mushrooms give you the feel of noodles, so you can put in half the amount you usually do.

Eggplant pasta. Slice eggplant into thin, linguine-sized pieces; roast. Make your usual linguine dish but sub half of it with the eggplant "pasta." Works great with dairy dishes.

It could even be easier like subbing half white pasta and half whole wheat and slowly switching to entirely whole wheat (or chickpea pasta etc)

This is a great option. Add tons of veggies. Sauteed peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, broccoli, the more the better.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:14 am
I measure 1 cup of pasta and cook it in a small pot for myself so I don’t go overboard when I make a lot for my family.

amother
White

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:16 am
Barilla makes a pretty good chickpea pasta. They make a red lentil one too but I don't like it as much.

With a good sauce and strong flavors, it is quite good. And much more filling, imo.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:23 am
As a fellow pasta lover, there really isn't a way to lose weight while eating pasta as the main dish whether you count calories or do low-carb.

There are healthier forms of carbs - whole wheat pasta is healthier than white pasta.

You can enjoy pasta in limited portions - a serving of pasta is considered to be 1/2 cup - measure that out and you will see how small that is compared to what you might serve yourself.

You can eat smaller portions - you can limit yourself to having a pasta meal infrequently and make sure that the actual pasta dish doesn't have high calorie high fat sauces. Cheese is also fairly high calorie in terms of portion sizes - an ounce of cheese is small compared to the amount one might eat if you don't measure.

You may or may not find alternatives to pasta filling the need. I like spaghetti squash and so I have a few dishes in which spaghetti squash is cooked with a tomato based sauce but it also has other stuff so that it isn't spaghetti squash with only tomato sauce poured over it. Many people enjoy spiralizing their vegetables as a substitute for regular pasta.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:36 am
Fiber gourmet pasta
is very good and half calories then regular pasta

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:44 am
Spaghetti squash is pretty good with sauce and cheese.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:45 am
Frumme wrote:

I'll do this with zoodles sometimes. Half spaghetti and half zoodles. You can't tell the difference.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:46 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Spaghetti squash is pretty good with sauce and cheese.

Anything is pretty good with sauce and cheese!

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:47 am
You’re all making me hungry! I think I will cook ravioli for lunch!!!

trixx

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 11:14 am
The yellow ronzoni gluten free pasta which is made from quinoa, rice flour etc tastes and acts exactly like regular pasta.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise