Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cleaning lady from Ghana
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:54 am
Anyone have any opinion/experience with cleaning ladies from Ghana? Iv always only had Spanish help so unfamiliar with the culture/mentality etc.. (obviously I understand that each person cannot be summed up entirely by their birth location. thanks

DrMom

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 11:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone have any opinion/experience with cleaning ladies from Ghana? Iv always only had Spanish help so unfamiliar with the culture/mentality etc.. (obviously I understand that each person cannot be summed up entirely by their birth location. thanks

So.. why ask?

Java

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 11:09 am
DrMom wrote:
So.. why ask?

Why the need to nitpick? Do you disagree that there are cultural differences between Americans and Israelis let's say?
She did use the word "entirely..."

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 11:27 am
I can see why this question raises people's hackles. It's subtly racist.

On the other hand, either scroll on or answer.

I don't know about Ghana specifically. I can tell you there was a very big difference in mentality between the cleaning help I hired from South American/Hispanic countries versus from African countries/Island countries.

I prefer hiring from South America/Hispanic countries. It's my money and I had a better experience with their culture. Call me racist but it is what it is.

finprof

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 11:31 am
I don't have cleaning help, but I have friends from Ghana. What do you want to know?

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 11:51 am
I wouldn't think that a person's country of origin has much relevance to her ability to do a job.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 11:53 am
zaq wrote:
I wouldn't think that a person's country of origin has much relevance to her ability to do a job.

Maybe not ability to do job. But perhaps communication styles?

I mean I know lots of people that fall over themselves to find nannies and caretakers that are philipino as they so tend to be culturally more happy, warm and giving.

Java

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 11:54 am
zaq wrote:

This is true.
However, a person's country of origin does influence other things, such as how they relate to and connect with other people, and thus it might be helpful when employing someone from a place you know little about to find out more about their culture.
I don't know why people are having such a hard time understanding this

Chayalle

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 11:56 am
causemommysaid wrote:
I prefer hiring from South America/Hispanic countries. It's my money and I had a better experience with their culture. Call me racist but it is what it is.

Funny. That has not been my experience at all.

number

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 11:59 am
avrahamama wrote:
Maybe not ability to do job. But perhaps communication styles?

I mean I know lots of people that fall over themselves to find nannies and caretakers that are philipino as they so tend to be culturally more happy, warm and giving.
Most Filipinos give every job 110%. So of course everyone wants to hire them. I have no idea what those from Ghana do but overall American employees tend to try to skate by lol. Is that racist?

avrahamama

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 12:01 pm
number wrote:
Most Filipinos give every job 110%. So of course everyone wants to hire them. I have no idea what those from Ghana do but overall American employees tend to try to skate by lol. Is that racist?

I have no clue. I'd give them all a try if I needed. But I can understand if someone wants to know in advance what to be aware of.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 12:06 pm
The cleaning people in my neighborhood are mostly from Sri Lanka. They are efficient and do a good job. I don’t think this information helps you.

tichellady

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 12:21 pm
Replace Ghana with “Lakewood.” Would you think it was weird if someone asked about hiring a Jewish employee and what their work ethic is like?

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 12:23 pm
tichellady wrote:
Replace Ghana with “Lakewood.” Would you think it was weird if someone asked about hiring a Jewish employee and what their work ethic is like?

No, especially knowing that lakewood has a unique culture and norms. I would actually find it very useful to be aware of the culture and norms if I was hiring someone as an employee. It takes away a lot of frustration and misunderstandings.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 12:24 pm
tichellady wrote:

I'd probably be insulted. But I can understand if someone were ignorant and did need to know that yes these people really can't answer their phones on Saturdays, or no the men/women really will be awkward about shaking hands and do ridiculous things to avoid it because some of them feel uncomfortable explaining how it's a religious issue for them, etc.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 12:24 pm
I guess I am a racist then lol. I feel a person's origins are a big part of a person's nature...and every origin tends to manifest different natures as a whole...people have said gypsy steal...well obviously not all steal. Or every Israeli is rude...not true for everyone...or even just someone's location...to say someone grew up in Harlem or south side of chicago...yes it would create questions for me weather I would feel safe employing this person. ..so again I'm just trying to understand the Ghana culture and if they tend to make good housekeepers...it is what it is.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 12:27 pm
I totally understand this question. Maybe there are certain social sensibilities OP should be aware of? Most people do research before they do business with people from a country they know nothing about. It makes total sense to me, you’re bringing someone in to your home it’s good to know just a bit about their culture.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 12:28 pm
I think the best would to try have her come one time and see if you are happy with her work.

There is no way you can know if someone is a good worker based on their country of origin.

tichellady

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 12:31 pm
I imagine there are many cultures and religions in Ghana so I’m not exactly sure what you can learn from asking women on this site

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 12:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone have any opinion/.. always only had Spanish thanks

My experience is what you stated you always had are harder working especially with cleaning and are generally willing to work for less
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics