Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
WWYD? son says Morah eats my snack
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 6:48 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
And you just let this happen?

No, read upthread, I went further with the story.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 6:48 pm
[quote="amother [ Cyan ]"]"Taking" a couple of pieces is still stealing. Isn't that the description of the stealing that led to the mabul? Everyone rationalized they were just taking "one" item so it was ok. But it led to society falling apart.
Anyway even if the teacher "asked" what do you expect the child under her authority to do, say no? It's not really asking.[/quote
This. A 1 or 3 year old won't say No to morah who asks for a cookie. Please don't take advantage of little kids.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 6:56 pm
This reminds me of when I went to sleep away camp at 8 years old and my mother sent me canteen money but gave it to my cousin for safekeeping. She basically kept my canteen money and I never got any nosh during canteen time cuz I had no money to buy anything.

Please don't take advantage of young kids who can't speak up for themselves.

naomi2

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:17 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
She didn’t eat the whole thing.
She just took 2 pieces and he felt so proud that he shared with morah.

This was my thought too but you can just ask the teacher what's going on. It will be faster and more accurate than asking here

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:33 pm
When I was 18 and a preschool morah, I would sometimes eat the kid's leftovers when cleaning up after lunchtime. As in an almost finished banana, instead of throwing it in the bin, I'd throw it in my mouth....never saw it as stealing. Confused

Could it be that your son had 2 bisslis left in the packet and the assistant just eats it instead of tossing it?

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:36 pm
I just sat down with my 3 year old and asked him if his morah ever eats his snack. He smiled and said no. I asked if anyone eats his snack or if morah eats anyone else's snack. He said "No, she brings her own snack! And she gives ME from HER snack!!"
Thank you Morah Naomi!

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:45 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
We do too, but we ASK FIRST. Even a 1yo can give consent, by either putting a piece into your outstretched hand or hugging the bag tight and screaming. And if the kid says no you can offer a trade ("You give me bissli and take some of my chocolate") or say "Sometimes I share with you, can you share with me, please?" (And sometimes the kid will say no....and you say "okay, so you can eat it, it's yours.") But the kid has to agree! If the bag is the child's then the bag is the child's, and that means everyone else asks before taking! Older siblings get in trouble for taking without permission, why is it okay for adults to do it
BH our kids are nice and usually agree to share a few pieces with us parents. LOL

This isn't as bad as the assistant stealing, but somehow this also feels wrong to me. And weird. When a parent gives a child his snack and then asks him to share, it guits him into sharing. It's not as if he could really say no to his parent. And if he does, he feels selfish. Why would a parent ask a child for his food?? The parent can go get his own food! Scratching Head

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:51 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
This reminds me of when I went to sleep away camp at 8 years old and my mother sent me canteen money but gave it to my cousin for safekeeping. She basically kept my canteen money and I never got any nosh during canteen time cuz I had no money to buy anything.

Please don't take advantage of young kids who can't speak up for themselves.

This is awful!!
Did you tell your mother? What did your cousin say??

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:44 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
This isn't as bad as the assistant stealing, but somehow this also feels wrong to me. And weird. When a parent gives a child his snack and then asks him to share, it guits him into sharing. It's not as if he could really say no to his parent. And if he does, he feels selfish. Why would a parent ask a child for his food?? The parent can go get his own food! Scratching Head

Sure does a toddler say no to their parents if they don't want to share!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:46 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
When I was 18 and a preschool morah, I would sometimes eat the kid's leftovers when cleaning up after lunchtime. As in an almost finished banana, instead of throwing it in the bin, I'd throw it in my mouth....never saw it as stealing. Confused

Could it be that your son had 2 bisslis left in the packet and the assistant just eats it instead of tossing it?

It very well could be. I have no idea what actually happened and don't know how accurate my son is

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:48 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:

Strongly disagree. Everyone has to share in my house. Even toddlers. I must be doing something right because all of my children are extremely generous and don’t think twice before sharing anything with anyone. Please don’t put toddlers sharing with parents in the same category as Morahs stealing a baby’s snack, which is just sick and abusive.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:54 pm
How can so many people here find it comical that an adult charged with the care of a child would steal that child's food? There is nothing funny about it at all.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:57 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
It sounds funny and immature, but in all seriousness it's disgusting for someone entrusted with a young child to take advantage of them, even in this small way. If it's true, I can imagine how helpless the child must feel, as Royal blue described.

It does not sound funny and it's not "a small way." When you're a growing child you get hungry. Keep in mind that children are unable to fast but adults are required. They need to eat. Besides for the ganeiva!

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:57 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
How can so many people here find it comical that an adult charged with the care of a child would steal that child's food? There is nothing funny about it at all.
It’s awful.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:58 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
This is awful!!
Did you tell your mother? What did your cousin say??

We weren't allowed to call home so I couldn't tell her.

I'm sure my cousin didn't intend to be mean. She's a really nice person as an adult. She was just a thoughtless teenager and didn't realize how bad I felt to never get nosh.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 9:00 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
It does not sound funny and it's not "a small way." When you're a growing child you get hungry. Keep in mind that children are unable to fast but adults are required. They need to eat. Besides for the ganeiva!

I was going with the assumption that the assistant took 1 or 2 pieces of bissli

ETA I have children around this age, and they rarely finish anything I send with them (not that any of their Morahs or assistants would ever dream of doing such a thing, they have excellent Morahs BH) so I think at this age there are often leftovers. Not that it justifies it in any way, but that's also why I said even if it's a small thing

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 9:00 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
About 15 years ago I was an assistant in special ed classroom. One of the kids brought chocolate almost every day and one of the other assistants ate it every time!!! The kid was nebach non verbal and stared with huge eyes at the teacher eating her chocolate. That assistant also took school lunch from the kids & the kids had less lunch.

Does the assistant not believe in gehinnom?

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 9:32 pm
For sure I would ask and find out if she’s eating it or he offered it. Sometimes kids will copy what they see so if the morah opened her own snack and shared with the kids, maybe he decided to give her some of his. Imho it’s gross and germy to eat other ppls snack but if a kid offered me something I pretend to eat it so as not to hurt their feelings.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 9:54 pm
I teach four year olds so a bit older but I'm trying to picture this scenario in my classroom and it seems so bizarre that I wonder if there's more to the story. I have one student who gets excited when she has her favorite snack and wants to share but I politely decline and I've never seen any of the other assistants take either. Could it be the teacher is an assistant with special needs? Because I did have that once, years ago, with taking snack or lunches and unfortunately we had to cut ties because it didn't work out with such a vulnerable age group.

mochamix18

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 11:22 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
About 15 years ago I was an assistant in special ed classroom. One of the kids brought chocolate almost every day and one of the other assistants ate it every time!!! The kid was nebach non verbal and stared with huge eyes at the teacher eating her chocolate. That assistant also took school lunch from the kids & the kids had less lunch.
Crying Crying Crying just why???
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers