Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Morah was MIA
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 5:58 pm
I needed to pick up my 3 year old early today. I send to a morah that has 10 kids with no assistant. (I know, mistake #1 on my part) The morah knew I was coming early and knew what time I was planning to be there. The school is in the basement of her house. The door was locked when I arrived (it usually is) and I could hear the kids having a good time on the other side. But when I knocked, all the kids came to the door and said morah is not here! I picked out my daughters voice and asked where morah was, DD said “I don’t know where she is.” It was a good 5 minutes before the morah came and I was able to tell she felt very uncomfortable that I “caught” that but didn’t say anything. It’s very possible she was in the bathroom or something but I dont know, I got an uneasy feeling...

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 6:00 pm
That is bad. But it's bound to happen if there are no assistants, people do need the bathroom. They should not be going to the door or saying they are alone! One day one of them is going to open that door....

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 6:07 pm
You send to a group with 10 kids and no assistant. Other than illegal, obviously, that violates every childcare teacher to child ratio for 3 year olds.

This is a choice you make knowingly. What did you think was going on there all day? Is this a 3 hour a day playgroup (when theoretically a healthy adult can hold it if she has to use the bathroom) or an all day long thing?

Java

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 6:17 pm
You should have been feeling uneasy all along. Why did you have to be hit in the face with reality to start being nervous?

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 6:20 pm
Yikes, I would not be going back there!

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 6:51 pm
Unfortunately it's always a risk to send preschoolers to play groups, we never know how everything is going. A school that accepts preschoolers is safer in my opinion, but also more expensive.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 6:55 pm
I'm sure she goes to the bathroom. This is bound to happen if she doesn't have an assistant. They should be taught not to say that morah isn't here.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 6:56 pm
This is the reality of a playgroup with no assistant. Worth it to pay more to ensure a safe daycare, imo.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:33 pm
She probably needed the bathroom. It happens. If everything else is good, I'd give it a pass this time.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:39 pm
A quick bathroom break wouldn’t bother me.
I’d be very cautious now and constantly ask my son about the teacher, if she ever goes out of the class, etc

tichellady

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:48 pm
Sounds like you learned this isn’t a safe situation. Not sure why this is a thing in the frum community

tichellady

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:53 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
A quick bathroom break wouldn’t bother me.
I’d be very cautious now and constantly ask my son about the teacher, if she ever goes out of the class, etc

How is leaving ten three year olds alone safe, even for five minutes? Do I live in an alternate reality?

hodeez

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:56 pm
Get your kid out of there, I know it might be convenient or cheap, but your kid comes first, and there is no way your daughter is getting what she needs from this situation.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:01 pm
watergirl wrote:
You send to a group with 10 kids and no assistant. Other than illegal, obviously, that violates every childcare teacher to child ratio for 3 year olds.

This is a choice you make knowingly. What did you think was going on there all day? Is this a 3 hour a day playgroup (when theoretically a healthy adult can hold it if she has to use the bathroom) or an all day long thing?

It’s not a full day thing, it’s 4.5 hours a day.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:03 pm
That's a long time with no bathroom break. An assistant is not optional, imo.
Plus, ten kids is a lot for just one adult. What if 1 kid gets hurt or needs assistance in the bathroom or a diaper change? Who is keeping an eye on the rest of the kids while the teacher is focused on that 1 kid?

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:06 pm
Why doesn’t she have an assistant?

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:41 pm
I'm trying to think if it's really better to have an assistant but 20 kids or 10 kids no assistant. Both are bad setup yet it's so common to have 20 kids & 1 assistant.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It’s not a full day thing, it’s 4.5 hours a day.

I don't know how anyone can expect to never need the bathroom for 4.5 hours. There's also no safe way to handle an emergency such as a fire or a pipe burst, carbon monoxide, gas leak. Who knows. I can't wrap my head around this.

To whoever said 20 kids with 1 assistant is common, this is also foreign to me. 10 three year olds to one teacher is not an ok ratio and doesn't exist in any school where I live. But at least there's an adult pair of eyes on them at all times even when one needs the bathroom.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:58 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
I don't know how anyone can expect to never need the bathroom for 4.5 hours. There's also no safe way to handle an emergency such as a fire or a pipe burst, carbon monoxide, gas leak. Who knows. I can't wrap my head around this.

To whoever said 20 kids with 1 assistant is common, this is also foreign to me. 10 three year olds to one teacher is not an ok ratio and doesn't exist in any school where I live. But at least there's an adult pair of eyes on them at all times even when one needs the bathroom.

Many playgroups have 20 18 month olds & 1 assistant. This is common practice at illegal playgroups.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 9:01 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Many playgroups have 20 18 month olds & 1 assistant. This is common practice at illegal playgroups.

I know, and this is only common in certain areas. There is no way for two adults to meet the needs of 20 18-month olds. It's such an abnormal situation for these toddlers to be in, no matter how common it is.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers