Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Morah was MIA
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 6:13 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
I know, and this is only common in certain areas. There is no way for two adults to meet the needs of 20 18-month olds. It's such an abnormal situation for these toddlers to be in, no matter how common it is.

I don't think subpar understaffed childcare is limited to any particular area of the US. Childcare is an area where corners are frequently cut unfortunately. There's a fundamental mismatch between the incomes of most of the people who need childcare and the cost of decent childcare. Until that gap is resolved, this will continue to be a nationwide problem, even if some individuals like OP make different choices.

behappy2

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 6:14 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Many playgroups have 20 18 month olds & 1 assistant. This is common practice at illegal playgroups.

18 month olds will be about 6 in a group

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 6:14 pm
I know, and this is only common in certain areas. There is no way for two adults to meet the needs of 20 18-month olds. It's such an abnormal situation for these toddlers to be in, no matter how common it is.

It makes no sense to me, I have 12 kids a little older than that and I desperately want another assistant. However my hours are waaay longer than 4.5, I could use one for that amount of time.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:00 pm
You sent your dc to a playgroup in which ten toddlers were cared for by one adult. ARE YOU INSANE????

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:16 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I don't think subpar understaffed childcare is limited to any particular area of the US. Childcare is an area where corners are frequently cut unfortunately. There's a fundamental mismatch between the incomes of most of the people who need childcare and the cost of decent childcare. Until that gap is resolved, this will continue to be a nationwide problem, even if some individuals like OP make different choices.

Yes, I do think it's COMMON to find these ratios mostly in certain areas. Legal daycares in low income areas that aren't Jewish can be just as affordable as what people like op are paying.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:20 pm
Yes, I do think it's COMMON to find these ratios mostly in certain areas. Legal daycares in low income areas that aren't Jewish can be just as affordable as what people like op are paying.

There are plenty legal daycares that are free if both parents are working. I don't think the secular world pays as much for daycare as we do.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:21 pm
I'm shaking my head so hard here. I've subbed in quite a few playgroups over the years and I just don't understand what adults with common sense are thinking. You have a toddler at home? Would you ever invite five of her closest friends for a playdate with you being the only adult there? Seven friends? TEN? No, you wouldn't, I don't care if you're the funnest Mommy on the planet, you invite one or two other toddlers to play with yours and by the end of the couple of hours that they're there you find yourself exhausted, drained and relieved they've been picked up. Yet some of you hear horror stories coming out of playgroups and are truly shocked-the morah didn't see who scratched your child! Gasp! The morah didn't wipe the children's faces and hands as nicely as you would have! How dare she!

THINK PEOPLE, THINK!
If you would never welcome the idea of entertaining in your home the same ratio of adult to children, then don't expect a morah to be able to.

And then people get all up in arms over how much money they shell over to the playgroup morah each month, I PAY HER TO WATCH MY CHILD AND I EXPECT HER TO CARE FOR THEM AS I WOULD.
Just no. You pay per month a pitiful amount compared to what she would be getting if she hired according to the correct student to teacher ratio and guess what? You get what you pay for. Morahs are warm, amazing, loving and caring but they are not super human, mistakes will be made and the bigger the student to teacher ratio, the bigger the potential for mistakes.

tichellady

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:23 pm
For perspective, my toddler’s class has 10 kids and three teachers

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:26 pm

Google average cost of legal day care in N.J and I got between $900 and $1500.(not specificly jewish!) So unless you're eligible for CHS that's not really affordable and in no way comparable to cost of home based playgroup!
I dk about n.y and not sure where OP is located.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:32 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Google average cost of legal day care in N.J and I got between $900 and $1500.(not specificly jewish!) So unless you're eligible for CHS that's not really affordable and in no way comparable to cost of home based playgroup!

When my kid was 3 I paid about 2k/month (considered extremely reasonable in my neighborhood) for legal center based daycare with amazing facilities, professional teachers and of course legal ratios. Yes it’s expensive but it’s what.It Costs

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:35 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
When my kid was 3 I paid about 2k/month (considered extremely reasonable in my neighborhood) for legal center based daycare with amazing facilities, professional teachers and of course legal ratios. Yes it’s expensive but it’s what.It Costs

There's no way I could afford that so I'm grateful for the playgroups in my neighborhood. I think 10 kids with one Morah is not safe at all. My 3 year old is by 2 Morahs in a class of 18 and I feel it's very well run and safe.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:36 pm
Illegal playgroups are common in all non wealthy areas. You just don't know about the non jewish ones because they don't publicize it to the general public. But I know of 2 in my area, both were closed down, one had like 30 kids with one teacher and a kid was injured, and the other was drugging the kids to sleep. And there are many more. This is not a jewish thing, you are just more aware of those.

tichellady

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:36 pm

We are a community who for the most part prioritizes yeshiva day school, post high school yeshiva and seminary. These all add up to thousands and thousands of dollars per child. If you care about your child’s neshama so much that you are willing to pay a large percentage of your paycheck for tuition then you should also prioritize their physical health and not put them in a dangerous playground situation. Of course it will cost more but day school also costs more than public school.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:39 pm
tichellady wrote:
For perspective, my toddler’s class has 10 kids and three teachers
that is amazing! I just wonder how these teachers make any income, yes they should work out of love for children but they also need to live. Unfortunately where I live ops setup is extremely common.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:44 pm

That's usually for much longer than 4.5 hours a day, my rates are not much cheaper and I am home based.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 7:47 pm

NJ is a very wealthy state. But anyway, I specified low income areas. There's a legal daycare near me (actually not a low income area) that charges $175/week full time for toddlers. And when I suggested it as an option to someone I know, she told me she was paying less than that.

Java

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:15 pm
Just by the way, I did some research and in NJ, a 1:10 ratio for 2 1/2 year olds plus is totally legal
(Good idea? maybe not. but legal? yes)

NotLazySusan

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:22 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
I'm shaking my head so hard here. I've subbed in quite a few playgroups over the years and I just don't understand what adults with common sense are thinking. You have a toddler at home? Would you ever invite five of her closest friends for a playdate with you being the only adult there? Seven friends? TEN? No, you wouldn't, I don't care if you're the funnest Mommy on the planet, you invite one or two other toddlers to play with yours and by the end of the couple of hours that they're there you find yourself exhausted, drained and relieved they've been picked up. Yet some of you hear horror stories coming out of playgroups and are truly shocked-the morah didn't see who scratched your child! Gasp! The morah didn't wipe the children's faces and hands as nicely as you would have! How dare she!

THINK PEOPLE, THINK!
If you would never welcome the idea of entertaining in your home the same ratio of adult to children, then don't expect a morah to be able to.

And then people get all up in arms over how much money they shell over to the playgroup morah each month, I PAY HER TO WATCH MY CHILD AND I EXPECT HER TO CARE FOR THEM AS I WOULD.
Just no. You pay per month a pitiful amount compared to what she would be getting if she hired according to the correct student to teacher ratio and guess what? You get what you pay for. Morahs are warm, amazing, loving and caring but they are not super human, mistakes will be made and the bigger the student to teacher ratio, the bigger the potential for mistakes.

Well said!

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:22 pm
cutestbaby wrote:
Just by the way, I did some research and in NJ, a 1:10 ratio for 2 1/2 year olds plus is totally legal
(Good idea? maybe not. but legal? yes)

Yes the ratio is allowed in a classroom. No, that does not mean that a class of 10 students and 1 teacher is left unsupervised when the teacher needs the bathroom. Plus, it's a legal requirement to have another staff member at the center at all times. Probably for this reason.. to deal with emergencies and such.

Sprinkles1

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:29 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I'm trying to think if it's really better to have an assistant but 20 kids or 10 kids no assistant. Both are bad setup yet it's so common to have 20 kids & 1 assistant.

20 kids with 2 Morahs is definitely better than 10 kids with 1. At least the kids never have to be left alone, like in the OP
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers