Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Usig a persons name-so important

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:17 pm
DD is in nursing school. Today she had a very moving experience and posted it on our family whattsApp. With her permission, I'm reposting here.

Today I cared for several patients. One had lung issues, another had several drains for bodily fluids, another just needed to talk, another is waiting for an arm amputation. I thought to myself "if I can make a difference to a single person it makes the day worth it". Shortly after the woman from housekeeping came over and gave me a hug. Caught by surprise, I gave her a hug back. She looked at my friend next to me and and choked up saying "She was the first person to call me by my name. Others call me housekeeping, the trash lady etc. She called me by my name." I was flabbergasted. Here I was thinking big-help someone who had issues, make a difference for someone who is actively sick, major problems. But to call someone by their name? To me that was a given! And yet it's the best thing I did all day.
Sometimes it's the little things that make the biggest difference.

I am so proud of her.

Einikel

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 8:21 pm
That’s beautiful. You raised her well

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 9:10 pm
I feel like no one has called me by my name in ages. I work solo from home and to everyone in this house I'm just "Mommy". Anyone else relate?

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:13 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I feel like no one has called me by my name in ages. I work solo from home and to everyone in this house I'm just "Mommy". Anyone else relate?

Yeah! It always feels a little weird to me when people say my name in conversation.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
DD is in nursing school. Today she had a very moving experience and posted it on our family whattsApp. With her permission, I'm reposting here.

Today I cared for several patients. One had lung issues, another had several drains for bodily fluids, another just needed to talk, another is waiting for an arm amputation. I thought to myself "if I can make a difference to a single person it makes the day worth it". Shortly after the woman from housekeeping came over and gave me a hug. Caught by surprise, I gave her a hug back. She looked at my friend next to me and and choked up saying "She was the first person to call me by my name. Others call me housekeeping, the trash lady etc. She called me by my name." I was flabbergasted. Here I was thinking big-help someone who had issues, make a difference for someone who is actively sick, major problems. But to call someone by their name? To me that was a given! And yet it's the best thing I did all day.
Sometimes it's the little things that make the biggest difference.

I am so proud of her.

How beautiful! Nurses really can make or break your hospital experience, when you are so vulnerable and alone. You have good reason to be proud.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:36 pm
Yes, so important. I’m a PA in a hospital and I always make sure to greet the housekeeping staff by name and ask how they are. Same with the orderlies who bring up the meals for the patients.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Feb 03 2021, 10:45 pm
OP, that is so beautiful! I learned to do the same thing from my mother. She always strikes up conversations with the cashiers at Target and Walmart and schmoozes with them and always takes note of their names.

Tof Umachol

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:17 am
I love this story.
Thanks for reminding me how important that can be.
Your daughter sounds like a wonderful person!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 12:57 pm
My ex didn't call me by my name in all of our 9 years of marriage.

The closest he got was "Hey, listen!"

It hurts to feel invisible.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 1:05 pm
I once heard a shiur from Rabbi Daniel Gladstien (on Torahanytime) in which he quoted Rav Yonason Eibeshutz, who says that addressing someone by their name is fulfilling the positive commandment of "ve'ahavta L'reyacha Kamocha". Every time you call someone by their name, you are doing a mitzvas Asei.
He bases it off the first Rashi in Vayikra.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 1:05 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
My ex didn't call me by my name in all of our 9 years of marriage.

The closest he got was "Hey, listen!"

It hurts to feel invisible.

Sad I hugged your post for real. I hope you have better now.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 1:08 pm
There's a famous and true story that happened to a classmate of mine's great-uncle - in Germany just prior to WWII, the doorman told him that the Gestapo is waiting for him at his office. Why did he tell him? Cuz in that whole building, he was the only one who used to greet the doorman by name every morning, making him feel like a human being. B"H he got away and survived.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette