Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Shtisel- s/o, What's the appeal?
Previous  1  2

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 4:16 pm
Chan1e wrote:
Is Shtisel appropriate to watch with DH?
Yes, it is 100% clean.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 30 2021, 4:32 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Yes, it is 100% clean.

I would not say its 100% clean. Like all these things, it depends on your standards.

In the third season, one character disrobes and you can see her pregnant belly, as well as bare shoulders.
In the first season, a Character removes her shaitel. Although in real life she is not frum, so does not wear a shaitel to begin with, it is a bit jarring when it happens. The character plays a religous woman who had been married and wears a wig.

Also, in season one, there is a scene with s-xual tension as a woman tries to kiss her chassan..he sidesteps her at the last minute but until that moment it looks like he is about to do it.

There are other, monor things.

I have found so often that people ask if a book or movie is clean, and others answer that something is 100% clean and when I watch it/read it I find it to be problematic.

So, Shtisel is probably as clean a movie as you will find today with adults in the cast. But I would not say its 100% clean.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 5:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I would not say its 100% clean. Like all these things, it depends on your standards.

In the third season, one character disrobes and you can see her pregnant belly, as well as bare shoulders.
In the first season, a Character removes her shaitel. Although in real life she is not frum, so does not wear a shaitel to begin with, it is a bit jarring when it happens. The character plays a religous woman who had been married and wears a wig.

Also, in season one, there is a scene with s-xual tension as a woman tries to kiss her chassan..he sidesteps her at the last minute but until that moment it looks like he is about to do it.

I have found so often that people ask if a book or movie is clean, and others answer that something is 100% clean and when I watch it/read it I find it to be problematic.

So, Shtisel is probably as clean a movie as you will find today with adults in the cast. But I would not say its 100% clean.
Of course and to me it is perfectly fine that I would feel comfortable watching it with my 12 year old if she was interested.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 6:09 pm
Seasons one and two are 100% clean. No touching, hugging, or kissing, and no one naked.
Seems like they saw that there was no outcry after unorthodox when Esty dips in the Mikvah and she and Yanky have relations, so season 3 has Chanina and Ruchami touching and Ruchami undressing to show her pregnancy.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 6:13 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Seasons one and two are 100% clean. No touching, hugging, or kissing, and no one naked.
Seems like they saw that there was no outcry after unorthodox when Esty dips in the Mikvah and she and Yanky have relations, so season 3 has Chanina and Ruchami touching and Ruchami undressing to show her pregnancy.
Not sure why you think unorthodox had any bearings on shtisel at all. One is in america and then other in Israel. One was on tv in Israel, the other on netflix. No connection.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 6:34 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Not sure why you think unorthodox had any bearings on shtisel at all. One is in america and then other in Israel. One was on tv in Israel, the other on netflix. No connection.

Other than Esty and Ruchami being the same person. Half the Unorthodox cast was Israeli, and shtisel only started working on season 3 after the airing of Unorthodox.
Shtisel first airs on TV and then on Netflix.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 01 2021, 6:48 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

I think it could have possibly had an effect. I think all these things can effect each other, especially since the main character was also a main character in Shtisel.

But I'm not sure what she means by "there was no outcry". The two films have two completely different goals and hence, different audiences.
Unorthodox was out to besmirch the chassidic community. The book was a slanted, skewed slander on the Satmar community. (Have not read it, but that's what I heard .)
Shtisel happens to be about chareidi people but its only a backdrop to the plot, and portrays them sensitively and (mostly) authentically.
There would be a HUGE outcry if they would have shown someone going to the mikva in Shtisel. Their target audience included many Frum people. I was quite disappointed that they showed Ruchami's pregnant belly. My husband would never have watched that, except he was lulled into complacency with the first two seasons.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 6:02 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Other than Esty and Ruchami being the same person. Half the Unorthodox cast was Israeli, and shtisel only started working on season 3 after the airing of Unorthodox.
Shtisel first airs on TV and then on Netflix.
There was no connection. Shtisel ended about 6 years ago here in Israel. Then it went to netflix where it got an international following. From there there was IMENSE interest in making another season. That was it (Ill try to find articles about that). There was no connection between the two shows. I am sure of that.

And of course shtisel and unorthodox could not have happened at the same time as Shira Haas was in both.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Apr 02 2021, 8:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I agree. I wouldn't allow my kids to watch it so I wouldn't call it 100% clean.

The storyline is kind of sappy and repetitive anyway so I doubt they'd be interested.

lech lecha08

Post Mon, Apr 05 2021, 5:14 pm
I understand why they're interested but there are so many little things they miss. At the very beginning of the series, Akiva made a joke with his students about a cow being on page 46 of the gemara because cows say moo. Yes, it was corny, but it really cracked me up.
This season, Akiva singing "hamalach hagoel" to Devora'le.
I could go on and on
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics