Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Witching hour help! I’m losing my mind
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 10:27 pm
Every night I go through this. Hours and hours of my baby screaming from tiredness but refusing to go to sleep no matter what I do. I rock, I nurse, I try to give a pacifier which he spits out, I try swaddling but he shrieks. I sing, I dance, I cry. What should I do?? I’m collapsing from exhaustion. I’m up since 5 and I need him to go to sleep.

Dh is no help.

Please, what works??

mom!

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 10:37 pm
So so challenging! Did you try a bath?

honeymoon

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 10:39 pm
I'm in the same boat. I did realize that when my baby takes 2 or 3 solid naps during the day, the nighttime routine is easier. Once a baby is overtired it is so difficult to calm them enough to go to sleep. Not letting them nap late in the day so that they should be tired at night is counterproductive when it comes to little babies. Also, would you try giving a formula bottle before bedtime? Good luck!

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 10:45 pm
Need to reset. A bath helps. Baby carrier always helps. Ugh we’ve all been there

happy chick

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 10:45 pm
Sometimes when my kids play shtik w me, I'll put them in bed and let them cry for a few min. Then I'll go in, pick them up, calm them down and put them back in. Rinse and repeat. It's exhausting, but at the end of the day, it teaches them to self-soothe. Doesn't work w all babies, but def worth a try.
Also, when they're difficult w sleep time, it's important to keep them on a strict day time nap and bedtime schedule.
Good luck!

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 10:46 pm
Are you keeping an eye on wake windows? If your baby is awake too long it gets really hard to get them down. https://www.preciouslittleslee.....long/

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 10:55 pm
I know all about wake windows. When evening hits he fights sleep no matter what.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:00 pm
honeymoon wrote:
I'm in the same boat. I did realize that when my baby takes 2 or 3 solid naps during the day, the nighttime routine is easier. Once a baby is overtired it is so difficult to calm them enough to go to sleep. Not letting them nap late in the day so that they should be tired at night is counterproductive when it comes to little babies. Also, would you try giving a formula bottle before bedtime? Good luck!

I don’t try to keep him up and gave formula. Nothing works.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:01 pm
Vacuum cleaner!

honeymoon

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don’t try to keep him up and gave formula. Nothing works.

Sad How old is he? Can he be teething?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:04 pm
honeymoon wrote:
Sad How old is he? Can he be teething?

6 weeks. I got him to sleep 4-5 times already and he keeps waking up within minutes.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
6 weeks. I got him to sleep 4-5 times already and he keeps waking up within minutes.

The dreaded 6 week peak 😭

honeymoon

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:08 pm
Tummy ache? maybe try giving him a bit of warm water?

These extended crying bouts are beyond frustrating. I sometimes wish newborns would have a screen on which we would be able to see what's bothering them. Hope he settles down so you can get some sleep! Yawn

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:21 pm
I would try feeding him again. 6 weeks old is growth spurt time. Or burp him, high up on your shoulder, the higher the better, for as long as possible.

jd1212

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:52 pm
honeymoon wrote:
Tummy ache? maybe try giving him a bit of warm water?

These extended crying bouts are beyond frustrating. I sometimes wish newborns would have a screen on which we would be able to see what's bothering them. Hope he settles down so you can get some sleep! Yawn

Never give water to a newborn!! Can cause water intoxication and serious medical problems.
https://www.healthline.com/hea.....water

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 05 2021, 12:19 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
I would try feeding him again. 6 weeks old is growth spurt time. Or burp him, high up on your shoulder, the higher the better, for as long as possible.

I tried. He keeps crying.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Feb 05 2021, 12:21 am
Make sure you're burping enough. They really do get tummyaches from the air trapped inside. My baby burps best when I hold her sitting upright on my knee, hand on her tummy, and jiggle her gently up and down. I feel like each baby has their favored burping pose.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 05 2021, 9:18 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Make sure you're burping enough. They really do get tummyaches from the air trapped inside. My baby burps best when I hold her sitting upright on my knee, hand on her tummy, and jiggle her gently up and down. I feel like each baby has their favored burping pose.

I do burp and I do it in that position.

He’s just inconsolable and also wakes up numerous times after I manage to get him to sleep until he stays asleep.

I wish there was something that worked. I was ready to shoot myself last night and every night this happens.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Feb 05 2021, 9:45 am
try giving a bit of motrin to rule out that hes not crying from pain

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 05 2021, 9:53 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
try giving a bit of motrin to rule out that hes not crying from pain

he's not crying from pain. I can tell it's from tiredness. He kept rubbing his face in my sleeve which is a sure sign he's tired. I know the difference between tired cry and pain cry.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics