Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How long do u spend cooking 4 shabbos?Cleaning? Cleaning up?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 05 2021, 4:37 pm
Just curious...

Family of 5

Cooking - I spend about 2-2.5 hours - (aside from challah that I do once a month and freeze) I don't do anything very fancy although I try to make one new thing a week to keep things interesting...and usually I pull 1 -2 things out of the freezer so it's not including that.

Cleaning - 2 hours - but it really depends on the week (I added in help from dh - I don't do the full 2 hrs)

Cleanup - after around 1.5-2 hours (also added in help from dh so I dont do the full 1.5-2 hours)

What about you?

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Feb 05 2021, 4:45 pm
8 hours cleaning and cooking combined

tichellady

Post Fri, Feb 05 2021, 8:04 pm
I don’t really know. Is that weird? I do all the cooking and cleaning but we have not had guests in about a year due to covid so definitely less time cooking but more time cleaning since I don’t have cleaning help now. I would guess 6+ hours but a lot of that is cleaning my whole house

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Feb 06 2021, 3:50 pm
Preparing things for the oven about 30 minutes. I am not counting the time the things are in the oven, just the prep time.
Clean up maybe 15 minutes.
And cleaning the house, another 30 minutes.

amother
Brown

Post Sat, Feb 06 2021, 3:55 pm
1hour cooking if nobody is home. All the vegetables are cleaned the night before.

mom!

Post Sat, Feb 06 2021, 7:38 pm
I cut down my cooking time significantly by doing some of the following:
1. Side dishes are made double or tripe at one time and frozen raw.
2. Clean chicken earlier in the week (when your cleaning for supper). Freeze. One less job.
3. All peeling do on Wednesday.
4. Desserts: same as sides

You may consider getting cleaning help. It makes the biggest difference!

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Feb 06 2021, 8:16 pm
Good question.
I remember once going to a cooking demo and when an assistant brought out a huge bowl of beautifully cleaned and cut mushrooms I realized something: That took time, time that wasn't part of the 45 minute demo.
Things take time.

So I can't tell you how long things take. I don't think too much about the time, but about the feeling. As in perception is reality. If I feel calm the way I'm doing things, that's what counts. It isn't just the total time but when that time is. There's a big difference spending 5 minutes a few minutes to licht bensching making a salad dressing, and making it the day before.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 4:18 am
Hmmmmm.....about 6 days? LOL

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 5:19 am
Cooking for Shabbat - about 1.5 hours on Thursday (sides) and another 2-3 on Friday (meats and fish).
Cleaning - I spot clean and neaten up all the time but about 3 hours between Thursday (sweeping, some dusting) and Friday (some dusting, mopping, bathrooms).

hodeez

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 5:22 am
All of Friday, from like 8 to 2 hours before shabbat. The more time I have, the more stuff I want to make and the more I want to clean.

tiedyed4life

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 7:30 am
I keep it simple, picky eater toddlers and just us so about 45 minutes cooking unless I make dessert then it's closer to an hour cleaning I do daily (including vacuuming thanks to the toddlers) and that takes me about an hour also. My mom spends an hour Thursday making salads but no one eats them here so I just add a few vegetables to the oven while chicken is cooking. Cast iron cookware and frozen chopped veggies are a huge time saver
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note