Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Koi pond
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 06 2021, 8:04 pm
Anyone have one? I have a small pond and am thinking of getting a few koi fish. Can you tell me about your experience? Any particular place to get them from?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 6:19 am
Bump

yo'ma

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 4:43 am
I just found out the fish that we have are koi fish, but I highly doubt you want to get it where we got them.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 5:19 am
yo'ma wrote:
I just found out the fish that we have are koi fish, but I highly doubt you want to get it where we got them.

You don't live in the US if I recall. I'm assuming that's what you mean?
You have them in a pond? How big is your pond? Do you have a bunch? What do you do to care for the pond? For the fish?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 5:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You don't live in the US if I recall. I'm assuming that's what you mean?
You have them in a pond? How big is your pond? Do you have a bunch? What do you do to care for the pond? For the fish?

No, I don’t. That’s what I meant. I don’t take care of them. It’s also not actually where I live. Anyway, it’s a nice size. This is just a guess, but about 10’ x 5’. My fil often gives them bread. Someone cleans it every few months. There are quite a few fish, probably about 8.

Stars

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 6:07 am
I’d put goldfish. They’re more fun. Do your research before getting them though.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 8:47 am
Check your local fencing laws and owner liability in case your neighbor's toddler falls in.

Talk to the guys at the pond supply store, and ask them if there is a problem with local predators. Raccoons can empty out a pond overnight.

Koi can get very large, and can easily live to be over 80 years old. It's kind of like owning a tortoise or a parrot, they are long term pets. (On the other hand, they are kosher, so you can always gefilte them!)

Koi are pretty smart, and you can get them used to eating out of your hands. They also like to be petted on the head. They're sort of like puppies, and will beg for food when they see you. They recognize different people.

Goldfish are easier to start with, if you don't know anything about keeping fish outdoors. Koi are an expensive starter fish, and you don't want to make mistakes. Do a lot of research before you commit, and it will save you a lot of money in the long run.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 8:56 am
FF,
I’m just laughing because in basically the same sentence you establish that they are both like puppies-you can pet them, hand feed them, and they recognize people, and that you can gefilta them.

In all fairness, I did have an Asian friend who had a pet rabbit until one morning she went to school and came home to rabbit stew for dinner. (Her bunny-not random rabbit from the butcher).

I know that in the shtetl and on farms people do it all the time, but I am such a “city girl” that it is incomprehensible to me.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 8:56 am
Thank you! I'm moving soon beH and the house has a small koi pond maybe 10x4? It's not fenced in. I intend to put something. It's about 2 feet deep. The sellers took most of the koi with them, but there may be a baby or two that stayed. My kids are excited about having fish. I'm interested, but don't know enough about it. Not sure where to start, so here I am!

lucky14

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 9:00 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Check your local fencing laws and owner liability in case your neighbor's toddler falls in.

Talk to the guys at the pond supply store, and ask them if there is a problem with local predators. Raccoons can empty out a pond overnight.

Koi can get very large, and can easily live to be over 80 years old. It's kind of like owning a tortoise or a parrot, they are long term pets. (On the other hand, they are kosher, so you can always gefilte them!)

Koi are pretty smart, and you can get them used to eating out of your hands. They also like to be petted on the head. They're sort of like puppies, and will beg for food when they see you. They recognize different people.

Goldfish are easier to start with, if you don't know anything about keeping fish outdoors. Koi are an expensive starter fish, and you don't want to make mistakes. Do a lot of research before you commit, and it will save you a lot of money in the long run.

Just curious how you know about basically everything? Do you google these things before answering or you really just have so much knowledge/experience?

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 9:10 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:

I know that in the shtetl and on farms people do it all the time, but I am such a “city girl” that it is incomprehensible to me.

Farmers have a different take on livestock: they're property, not pets. They may have a few that they keep as pets and are unlikely ever to eat, but they don't get sentimental over the others. When my sister kept a chicken coop, she would eat the eggs but not the chickens, but then she was all of about seven or eight years old.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 9:12 am
lucky14 wrote:
Just curious how you know about basically everything? Do you google these things before answering or you really just have so much knowledge/experience?

1. I'm old! LOL If you live long enough, you learn all kinds of stuff.

2. In one of my old houses, I had a large pond dug in front. I filled it with water, and was researching how to make it ecologically balanced so that would basically take care of itself. What kind of plants automatically clean the water, what kind to koi like to eat, what about the raccoons in the area, how to control mosquitoes, etc.

3. Fencing. My neighbors had a 4 year old boy with autism, who was fascinated by my pond. The parents were alcoholics, and never watched him. He was forever getting into my yard. I changed the locks on the gate, I padlocked the gate, but no matter what I did, he'd find a way to get over the fence. If he couldn't get in at the front, he'd go around and find a gap in the back yard fence. No matter how many times I dragged him home, the parents didn't care.

4. I realized that no matter what I did, if that kid drowned, I could be sued. I'd lose my job, my home, everything I'd worked so hard for - just for some fish. I ended up draining it and having it all filled in, but I was MAD about it. (I still am, kinda.)

I have always loved koi. A friend of mine has a huge pond, with an 8 foot high double fence with padlocks, and a wire frame that covers the pond to keep out the critters. It's a huge responsibility.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 9:13 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Farmers have a different take on livestock: they're property, not pets. They may have a few that they keep as pets and are unlikely ever to eat, but they don't get sentimental over the others. When my sister kept a chicken coop, she would eat the eggs but not the chickens, but then she was all of about seven or eight years old.

I spent a four years of my life working on a dairy farm, and I got totally sentimental. That's actually why I am vegan.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 9:15 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
FF,
I’m just laughing because in basically the same sentence you establish that they are both like puppies-you can pet them, hand feed them, and they recognize people, and that you can gefilta them.

I could never kill any animal that I shared my space with. Once they live with me, they become pets, not food. Food comes from the store, wrapped in plastic! LOL

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 9:17 am
Stars wrote:
I’d put goldfish. They’re more fun. Do your research before getting them though.

Why more fun?
FF makes koi sound appealing.
I think I'll visit a pond store near here. Reading online is giving me a flood of information, but not sure what is extra and what is practical.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 9:18 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I could never kill any animal that I shared my space with. Once they live with me, they become pets, not food. Food comes from the store, wrapped in plastic! LOL

Yes! I can't imagine killing an animal. I'm not a dog or cat or rabbit person, but I've always like turtles and fish, though I'm not so experienced beyond the carnival goldfish. Willing to learn!
And again, this pond is small.
Thank you all for the advice. FF, you sound like such a fun person to know. I've been on imamother for a lot of years and have learned so much from you.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 9:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why more fun?
FF makes koi sound appealing.
I think I'll visit a pond store near here. Reading online is giving me a flood of information, but not sure what is extra and what is practical.

Definitely don't ask at a pet store. They are getting paid to sell you dog food.

A specialty pond store is the only place I would go to get practical advice. They will know if you need help as a first time beginner, or if you are planning on expanding your huge professional setup.

When I've been to specialty stores, I've found that the employees are passionate about what they do, and love to educate. Ask all the questions you want, and then ask them if they think you might have forgotten something.

There are NO stupid questions, especially when it comes to the lives of animals. 🐠🐟🐡

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 10:20 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Definitely don't ask at a pet store. They are getting paid to sell you dog food.

A specialty pond store is the only place I would go to get practical advice. They will know if you need help as a first time beginner, or if you are planning on expanding your huge professional setup.

When I've been to specialty stores, I've found that the employees are passionate about what they do, and love to educate. Ask all the questions you want, and then ask them if they think you might have forgotten something.

There are NO stupid questions, especially when it comes to the lives of animals. 🐠🐟🐡

If you live in the tristate area I recommend going to absolutely fish. They can advise you and set you up on everything.

I assume (because you said there might be a baby in there) that they are leaving the pond up and running (ie the bubbler installed and turned on, the fish fed whatever they need for the winter-they kinda hibernate in the winter and don’t get fed every day)?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 10:56 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
If you live in the tristate area I recommend going to absolutely fish. They can advise you and set you up on everything.

I assume (because you said there might be a baby in there) that they are leaving the pond up and running (ie the bubbler installed and turned on, the fish fed whatever they need for the winter-they kinda hibernate in the winter and don’t get fed every day)?

Koi are pretty tough as long as the weather is temperate. They don't need constant filtration and aeration, they just need a few plants to keep the water oxygenated. They can nibble on the plants for food. After all, they are a member of the carp family.

When the weather gets cold, they go down to the bottom of the pond, and their metabolism slows. They don't need much food in the winter, maybe a handful of pellets on a sunny day, and that's it. Start feeding slowly as the weather warms up. Better to give a little bit less food, than too much. Uneaten food will foul up the water.

My friend's koi pond is 6 feet deep. His koi are about a foot long. They need a very deep area to over-winter in.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 11:03 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

I hope I didn’t offend you! I would never think that you would eat a pet!!! That is why it was so funny reading it!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets