Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
S/O is it worth it to get a robot vacuum

AhavatYisrael

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 10:39 pm
I've wanted one for a long time but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I'm not looking for a fancy one that will map out the apartment or has wifi. Of course I recognize that if you buy one that's super cheap then you're getting what you pay for, so I'm willing to spend the $ for a good quality one. I just don't want anything fancy or with lots of bells and whistles.

Our apartment isn't huge and has a lot of furniture and toys (placed neatly by the walls) so I'm concerned that it will bump into things and not clean properly. Will it be able to vacuum around everything or will it end up missing a lot of places? (Eg bump into a table leg and then just go in a different direction instead of vacuuming under the table.) We also have a large (low pile) area rug that's pretty thick. Would a robot vacuum be able to climb on to it? There's also a 1" ridge to get into to the kitchen. Would it be able to get up that? What if my baby threw avocado, oatmeal or some other mushy item on the floor? Would it be able to clean it up properly or would it just spread the mess around the kitchen?

So...does it make sense for me to get one? If so, which ones are recommended?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 10:42 pm
The Roomba models are great. Even the cheapest $230 versions have the same quality machine inside and vacuum really well. You don't need to connect it to Wi-Fi if you don't want to. Just press on and let it go. Once it returns to the base you can empty the garbage it collects. These are vacuum only machines.

queen esther

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 12:33 am
I have a roomba. It does have some type of sensor so that if it hits furniture or table legs, it scans the area and knows there is more to clean around it. I've watched it go under dining room chairs and around legs. Sometimes it hits something and then goes another way but eventually it comes back to the place it missed. I would be wary of letting it encounter something wet or mushy, it will just roll over it and try to vacuum it. I do like mine... Yes it's work to first pick up little things from all over the floor as opposed to a broom where you can just sweep it all and then pick out the stuff after- but I like the fact that I don't have to go through the whole house sweeping. ( Mostly wooden floors.)

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 12:47 am
Answer: no.

wifeandmore

Post Mon, Feb 08 2021, 1:00 am
I think it's best for clear floors. I have kids and a floor like yours and didn't find it helpful
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry