Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving

momto4

Post Fri, Mar 07 2008, 11:19 am
we are planning to move to a new house in THREE WEEKS I"YH. we just finallized the plans yesterday. I havent packed a thing! where do I start? any tips would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Atali

Post Fri, Mar 07 2008, 11:31 am
As someone very experienced with moving (I have moved five times so far), I would recommend starting to pack straight away in this order:

1. Anything not immediately necessary, such as sefarim, pesach dishes, out of season /wrong size clothes, pictures, etc.

2. Anything that you have extra of, such as spare linen and most of the toys

3. Shabbos things, such as shabbos dishes and serving bowls

4. Most of the items in your kitchen (use paper plates and takeout if available)

5. Everything else.

Be sure to label every box with the contents and room that it will go in at the new house

Good Luck!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 07 2008, 11:33 am
can you keep your new kitchen pesach'dike ?

amother

Post Fri, Mar 07 2008, 11:34 am
We have moved so many times I am almost a pro. Some tips from my experiences:

-buy different color duct tape and choose one color for each room when you seal the boxes. The movers will know where each box goes.

-pack least often used things first - do not mix items you don't need right away with the items you will need, that way your home can get functional long before all the boxes are empty.

-let your younger kids pack their own box they can open right away at the new home. they will adjust much easier when they have familiar items they selected themselves.

-start using paper dishes - three weeks may seem like a while, but time flies, so spend as much time packing and organizing as you can - streamline your other home responsibilities

-this is a great opportunity to purge before Pesach. Ask yourself if you really want to hand onto each item as you pack it.

louche

Post Fri, Mar 07 2008, 11:50 am
Yoy Ishtenem!!! well, at least your new house will be Pesachdik early...

Start by sorting your stuff into 3 piles: keep, give away, and throw out. give away or throw out:

1.anything you don't absolutely love or use all the time but all the time. 2. anything old and worn (save one grunge outfit for dirty work),obsolete or nearly so (kids clothes that they've almost but not quite outgrown, e.g.), in need of repair (if you haven't fixed it yet you never will), or inexpensive and easily replaceable (cheaper to buy new than to pay moving costs)
3.anything you're not absolutly sure you have room for in the new place
4. anything you haven't found a "home" for in the new place
5.anything you have unnecessary multiples of

Check with the orgs that pick stuff up if they'll send a truck before you move.

Once you've whittled down the volume of posessions you need to move, collect more cartons, packing tape, twist-ties, markers, colored paper, bubble wrap, newspapers (for packing material) than you think you're going to need.

Pack, label, and carry with you in your car a box of things you'll need immediately upon arrival like ready-to-eat food and beverages, disposable tableware, benchers, paper towels or shmattehs, a broom or hand vaccum, garbage bags, bed and bath linens, phone and address book, scissors, basic tools like screwdrivers, pliers, hammer and nails.

Each family member packs and brings in the car a bag with things s/he'll need the first 2 days: pj's,complete outfits of clothes, slippers, shoes, personal-care items, etc.

Get the phone numbers of services in the area like electrician, plumber, furnace repair, trash pickup, pizza delivery, family practice physician.

Try to get your hands on Sink Reflections by Marla Cilley. She has a chapter on moving.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating