Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Roles at a chasuna

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 12:48 pm
Hi, planning our wedding and seeking guidance on the different “roles” at a chasuna. Would greatly appreciate any feedback on whether this list is accurate:

1) mesader kiddushin - guides process, reads kesubah, calls men up for sheva brochos
2) two eidim - can’t be related (to each other or chassan/kallah), must be shomer Shabbos
3) 7 (other?) men for sheva brachos under chuppah and at seuda

Can anyone confirm or correct this?

TIA so much.

singleagain

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 1:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

guides process, reads kesubah, calls men up for sheva brochos

I've seen some people have someone else who does the announcements like this this it can be split up among two or three people if you want

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 1:06 pm
Your mesader kiddushin should be able to guide you.
What singleagain said. Also, you don't have to have 7 separate men making the brochos under the chupa. One person can say two or even all.
Mazel tov!

paperflowers

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 1:15 pm
There are two sets of eidim - eidei tenoim and eidei kesuba. And again, two sets of Sheva brachos - under the chuppah and at benching. I think it’s common practice to give the first two brachos to one person under the chuppah.

As Singleagain said, there’s often an “emcee” which isn’t an official kibbud. Another unofficial kibbud is singing under the chuppah, Im eshkachech or Shir hamaalos. You don’t need a designated person for these. It can be the band or hall manager.

Someone to read the Kesuba.

People often split all these things up because they have lots of people they want to give kibbudim to, but many can be combined, especially if you’re making a small wedding.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 1:17 pm
Thank you all so much!

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 1:18 pm
paperflowers wrote:
There are two sets of eidim - eidei tenoim and eidei kesuba. And again, two sets of Sheva brachos - under the chuppah and at benching. I think it’s common practice to give the first two brachos to one person under the chuppah.

As Singleagain said, there’s often an “emcee” which isn’t an official kibbud. Another unofficial kibbud is singing under the chuppah, Im eshkachech or Shir hamaalos. You don’t need a designated person for these. It can be the band or hall manager.

Someone to read the Kesuba.

People often split all these things up because they have lots of people they want to give kibbudim to, but many can be combined, especially if you’re making a small wedding.

Fyi - not everyone does a tenaim.
My mesader kedushin didn't so we didnt even though both families did!

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 1:22 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Fyi - not everyone does a tenaim.
My mesader kedushin didn't so we didnt even though both families did!

Isn’t tenaim done by the chosson tisch when the mothers break a plate. I thought anyone who doesn’t do it in advance does it then.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 10:02 am
We did tnoim the night before the wedding. You also need 2 people to sign the kesuba.

Usually there's an m.c. who calls people up to the chuppa. My brother was mc at my wedding and my son was mc for his brother's wedding.

The rav gave us a blank form to fill out listing the various kibbudim. There was a lot of mixing and matching towards the end because not everyone we wanted to give a bracha to made it to the chuppa.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics