Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Mild tongue tie, leave it?
Previous  1  2

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 10:16 pm
I snipped my newborns tongue tie at the doctors office and immediately regretted... not having snipped my older child at that age. It was so quick.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 10:19 pm
I had my babies cut and doctor said if it's after 6 months (I think) baby needs anesthesia. I think I went at 4 months and it was just a little snip and baby had bottle and was fine. It's usually genetic so if you don't have it prob ur husband had it.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 10:53 pm
My son has down syndrome. I saw he was tongue tied but didn't want to snip it, for fear of him starting to stick out his tongue once its snipped. Now he doesn't speak so clearly, but can it be just his makeup or does this contribute to his unclear speech... who knows... I guess I should snip it and see if it makes a difference.

grateful2bmom

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 11:00 pm
Dr Dahl in Manhattan snipped 2 of my kids. The earlier it’s done the easier it is. Really not a big deal to do.

mandr

Post Tue, Feb 09 2021, 11:42 pm
Did it for both my kids. One at 4 months because I didn't know about the tongue tie. I just knew I had crazy nursing pain that never abated and finally a lactation consultant diagnosed it. A pediatric ENT took care of it and it was no big deal. My second child I was already forewarned so I had it done the day after we came home from the hospital by our family's oral surgeon (he specializes in tongue ties as well).

Just do it. There's no harm in getting it done and only risks if you leave it.

anonymrs

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 12:52 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
I had my babies cut and doctor said if it's after 6 months (I think) baby needs anesthesia. I think I went at 4 months and it was just a little snip and baby had bottle and was fine. It's usually genetic so if you don't have it prob ur
husband had it.

Scott Siegel will do older kid without anesthesia. Larry Kotlow might also. 2 top Drs in the state of NY for ties.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 1:00 am
Snip it! Did it for I think 2 of my kids. Nursing went so smoothly after that, it was so painful!

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 2:59 am
I don't want to confuse you since you are getting a strong YES from everyone on here, so maybe they're right. But I'll just let you know my experience so that you can make an informed choice. My baby had a "posterior" tongue tie. I'm not sure if that means it was mild or not. I just know it means it was not visable ( like it was under the tissue). I was warned that people are eager to snip these days and that it's an over done procedure. I did a bit of research and it looked like there really weren't any downsides and he was having trouble nursing so I decided to go for it. Only after having it done did I realize that there definitely WERE downsides that I didn't know about. You need to stretch the wound every 3 hours for 3 weeks. Meaning you need to rub a gloved finger over the wound 10 times. If you don't do this, it will reattach because mouth wounds heal very fast. This is not an easy thing to do AT ALL. My baby hated it and it made him cry and I had to keep it up around the clock for 3 weeks. Also he nursed WORSE after the procedure. I was told (only after) that babies often loose coordination of their tongue after the snip, because now it moves differently than what they were used to. My baby needed tongue OT to relearn how to suck. We ended up having to stop nursing because he couldn't latch anymore. He still swallows air when he has a bottle because his suck pattern is "disorganized" (acc. to the OT). So, for us it actually made things worse. I'm feeling bettet reading this thread though, because maybe in the long run this will help his speech. Until now I've just been feeling bad that I messed up his mouth and it might have been totally unnecessary.

mandr

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 10:28 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I don't want to confuse you since you are getting a strong YES from everyone on here, so maybe they're right. But I'll just let you know my experience so that you can make an informed choice. My baby had a "posterior" tongue tie. I'm not sure if that means it was mild or not. I just know it means it was not visable ( like it was under the tissue). I was warned that people are eager to snip these days and that it's an over done procedure. I did a bit of research and it looked like there really weren't any downsides and he was having trouble nursing so I decided to go for it. Only after having it done did I realize that there definitely WERE downsides that I didn't know about. You need to stretch the wound every 3 hours for 3 weeks. Meaning you need to rub a gloved finger over the wound 10 times. If you don't do this, it will reattach because mouth wounds heal very fast. This is not an easy thing to do AT ALL. My baby hated it and it made him cry and I had to keep it up around the clock for 3 weeks. Also he nursed WORSE after the procedure. I was told (only after) that babies often loose coordination of their tongue after the snip, because now it moves differently than what they were used to. My baby needed tongue OT to relearn how to suck. We ended up having to stop nursing because he couldn't latch anymore. He still swallows air when he has a bottle because his suck pattern is "disorganized" (acc. to the OT). So, for us it actually made things worse. I'm feeling bettet reading this thread though, because maybe in the long run this will help his speech. Until now I've just been feeling bad that I messed up his mouth and it might have been totally unnecessary.

I don’t know if you did laser or traditional cut but mine also had a posterior tie and we didn’t do laser for that reason. I was told that if we revise it with laser I will need to do exercises with him. I did not have to do any exercise after any of my children’s revisions and they were all fine BH.

One memory I have of my older child is that he never was able to stick his tongue out of his mouth, but when we came home from the procedure he was delighted to discover that he can do just that and he kept making these adorable faces!

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 2:37 pm
Yes, we did laser, I didn't know that the regular snip didn't need the same aftercare. I wish I had known that before. When in doubt- check on imamother! I should have asked about it here first!

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 2:42 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Yes, we did laser, I didn't know that the regular snip didn't need the same aftercare. I wish I had known that before. When in doubt- check on imamother! I should have asked about it here first!

I did cut a kid when he was 2 months old without laser. But it grew back. I had to resnip it when he was over 2 and we did it with laser and we also did the exercise.. Bh all looks much better now. I dont think the babies are in pain when u do the exercise with them. I rather feel its uncomfortable for them. And that's y they cry.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 2:45 pm
I didn't do it for one of my kids because I was told it's not such a big deal. but I really regret it and wish I did. 12 years old and literally can't stick out his tongue past the lips. It's such a bad tie. Funny thing is though that I don't recall having any pain nursing.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 2:54 pm
Laser needs 2 weeks of stretching exercises and can bleed. Traditional doesn't need stretching afterwards. Older children is better to do Traditional cut.
FYI Dr. Scott doesn't take any insurance. He takes $200 for consultation and $1000 for laser.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 2:54 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I didn't do it for one of my kids because I was told it's not such a big deal. but I really regret it and wish I did. 12 years old and literally can't stick out his tongue past the lips. It's such a bad tie. Funny thing is though that I don't recall having any pain nursing.

Im very for snipping cuz I see how my dh can't stick his tongue out. Its a real strong gene

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 2:56 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Laser needs 2 weeks of stretching exercises and can bleed. Traditional doesn't need stretching afterwards. Older children is better to do Traditional cut.
FYI Dr. Scott doesn't take any insurance. He takes $200 for consultation and $1000 for laser.

We did it with dr kotlow. He takes fidelis. No consult. A one time thing.

miami85

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 2:58 pm
I had one child who was having a tonsilectomy anyway and we thought it was contributing to his speech so we had his snipped and it worked. I have another child who never had issues so we never did anything about it. He has a slight lisp but it seems to be fading now that it's older.

As an infant its a "doctor's office" procedure but as they get older it needs anesthesia. I dont' quite understand why pediatricians aren't for just "taking care of it" as infants because while they told me "it will go away" I have not seen that to be true.

anonymrs

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 3:05 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

Did you go to Dr. Scott Siegel?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics