Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Maybe moving to Lakewood area?
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Sat, Mar 08 2008, 8:13 pm
Hey!
My husband has a job prospect near Lakewood.
We are modern orthodox.
I know its a very popular frum area, but whats available in terms of food? bakeries?restaurants? schools?
Is it a nice area? Do people like it? Good shopping? Easy access to transportation?

Thanks!

amother

Post Sat, Mar 08 2008, 8:16 pm
Lakewood is a great place to live but it is not so accepting of modern othodox. It might be very hard to get you kids into schools. Do your research. As far as bakeries and restaurants and grocery stores, there arae tons. I think your main issue should be if you can find a neighborhood your type and if you can find a school that will take your kids in.

amother

Post Sat, Mar 08 2008, 8:18 pm
Wow, I grew up in Silver Spring and the frum schools took anyone who was Jewish.... Exploding anger

amother

Post Sat, Mar 08 2008, 8:39 pm
Well Welcome to Lakewood. The first rule before you move here is make sure you got your child into school, although some people say first you should move and then you will worry about it because someone will have to take you in because once you are living here they have to take you. But I'm just warning you that it will be a process to get your child into school and it won't be an easy one unless you know someone with major money connections who can help you. Besides that if you find the right place to live you can end up loving it here. Good Luck.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Mar 08 2008, 8:55 pm
amother wrote:
Wow, I grew up in Silver Spring and the frum schools took anyone who was Jewish.... Exploding anger

That's living out of town for ya.

Squash

Post Sat, Mar 08 2008, 10:40 pm
just another thought. maybe you can try getting your kids into schools in the surrounding communities (eatontown,etc).

SingALong

Post Sat, Mar 08 2008, 10:46 pm
you have restaurants, groceries, everything here but schools is a big problem. more in teh ultra frum community as far as I know. if you are modern orthodox, I think there are schools that you will feel more comfortabel in. I saw advertised a place near jersey shore I think. also, consider Deal, 20 minutes away from lakewood,
definitely check out schools before moving to lakewood

Squash

Post Sat, Mar 08 2008, 10:58 pm
I just want to add that schools are a problem for EVERYONE in lakewood. not just modern.

I would most likely also have a problem getting my kids into schools there.

I know someone (chassidish) who already bought a house in lakewood and then couldn't move there cuz they c'dn't get their kids into schools.

maybe things have changed. dunno.

amother

Post Sat, Mar 08 2008, 11:24 pm
OP here...jeeze
Well, my daughter is only 1 and a half, so I guess I have sometime to worry about schools....I also have my own personal "yichus" that I guess I could use.
My zaydei is a pretty well respected Rov in Brooklyn.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Mar 08 2008, 11:29 pm
amother wrote:
My zaydei is a pretty well respected Rov in Brooklyn.

Then maybe ask him if you should be invoking the name of the goyische deity (below).

amother wrote:
jeeze

Not everyone knows that tha's where it comes from. It's short for .. yushka's name.

amother

Post Sat, Mar 08 2008, 11:38 pm
Now I guess we will truly never get into the schools in Lakewood! Exploding anger

amother

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 12:17 am
Everyone has problems getting in to schools. Every school wants frumer than what wants them. But if you Zaidei is a respected rav that will definitely help because the two ways you can get into school is with money or real major yeichus. Otherwise you have to wait until September or sometimes October until the Va"ad will put your child into the school that the Va"ad chooses.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 12:33 am
I grew up in Lakewood - don't live there now. I grew up in a yeshiva family but my sister and her husband are more modern than most people in Lakewood and they live in Laekwood. I know they have a crowd they feel comfortable with. Really it depends what you mean by MO because there's a whole range that falls into that category. If you don't cover your hair, you probably won't find your place in Lakewood. I know my sister IS worried about who will accept her kids when the time comes.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by MO?

mumta3

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 12:55 pm
Not to hijack this thread, but.................

Thanks, CM, I did not know that. I will try never to use that word again. Sad

Grace

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 2:14 pm
I live in L'wood, we can be freinds and open up a new school for the children of the parents who use the words like j**ze and such like....

You'll be fine here if you can find like minded ppl such as yourself and live near them and have ur own social group with them. Thats basically what I have here. Ultimately you would probably be most comfortable in a place where there would be more people like you, I know I would.

And I was just thinking even if I had yichus to get my kid into any school in Lakewood I would'nt want my kids there. The schools are most probably excellent places but NOT the kind of education I would want my kids to have.

Maybe you could drive in one Sunday and check it out?
Good Luck

amother

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 2:28 pm
Op here...
I don't know, it doesn't sound like we would fit in by the Lakewood schools, even if I could get us in through my connections.
I don't want my kids coming home and telling us that we are non jews because we have a TV.
I think the MO schools in Deal seem like a better idea...

SingALong

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 5:24 pm
as far as yichus, yes it may help but its not a for sure thing that if you are related to some rav then you will definitely get in to the school of your choice. I have a lot of yichus, but it didnt make one iota of a difference when trying to get my kid into school this year. additionally, money helps but it is no garuntee that the school you want will take you just cuz of money.
the problem is that lakewood schools cannot handle the growing population. tons of people are moving here and having lots of children B"H. the siblings of children already in school get first priority. if there are 50 slots available for kindergarten and 47 siblings that the school must take, that only leaves them 3 slots for new parents. hence, they are very much in demand and can lay down awhole bunch of ridiculous regulations that have nothing to do with frumkeit whatsoever.

mumsy23

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 5:41 pm
amother wrote:
Everyone has problems getting in to schools. Every school wants frumer than what wants them. But if you Zaidei is a respected rav that will definitely help because the two ways you can get into school is with money or real major yeichus. Otherwise you have to wait until September or sometimes October until the Va"ad will put your child into the school that the Va"ad chooses.

And those schools won't even let your kids in if you have a tv. same goes with internet...

amother

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 6:43 pm
OP, I don't mean to be mean but if you have a TV all the connections in the world will not get you into the schools. The only school that you can get into is the Hillel that has tons of Russians and people don't want to go there. There is a couple in Lakewood now that has a TV and the schools will not accept them no matter what so the father drives the girl in every day to Brooklyn and she goes to school there. She could get into the Hillel but they don't want to go there. If you have a TV you will not fit in here because here people don't have TV's.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 7:14 pm
It must be hard socially not to live near a child's classmates. Also, Deal is predominantly Sephardi, will your child fit in there properly?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating