Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Maybe moving to Lakewood area?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

SingALong

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 5:47 pm
Quote:
There is a couple in Lakewood now that has a TV and the schools will not accept them no matter what so the father drives the girl in every day to Brooklyn and she goes to school there.

this family would rather drive to brooklyn every day then get rid of their TV?

mumsy23

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 6:40 pm
a lot of people send their kids to JEC in elizabeth- also, I know non-sephardi people who went to Deal.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 6:43 pm
They threw out their TV in September but it was too late,. The schools already knew about it.
they moved in thinking that who cares we are going to be different and bought a 54 inch TV and put in in their living room for all to see. By the time they realized their mistake it was too late.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 7:03 pm
Cong Sons of Israel - Rabbi Tendler - is I guess the most modern. see if you can contact them for advice/opinion

Grace

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 5:36 am
well I wonder what 60% of the people in a certain appartment building are going to do when it comes to finding schools because thats the majority of which who have Tv's there?

There are more pepole in lakewood than you think who have tv's etc maybe there is a need for a slightly different school around here?

amother

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 3:31 pm
are'nt almost all the apartment buildings very yeshivish. Are you sure such a large portion have... or are you just assuming.

amother

Post Sat, Mar 15 2008, 6:18 pm
LOL I live there hun I should know.

Its very funny when you walk down the corridors you hear peoples tv's going.

The walls are VERY thin.

amother

Post Sat, Mar 15 2008, 7:11 pm
it could very be the radio, is that in the building that claimed to have major soundproofing? and are'nt there non jews renting there too?

amother

Post Sat, Mar 15 2008, 9:22 pm
wow im surprised I can only think of 2 new apt buildings...

amother

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 5:49 am
she never said they are new.....

amother

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 6:07 am
What area are you talking about? To me it seems like you just want to put Lakewood down. This is so not Lakewood. The only area that you might have frum people with tv's is Chestnut and there are no apartments there. Next time you want to make fun of a town that is not even true think again.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 6:30 am
everyone thinks chestnut is so modern, but its a mere few there, that "might" even have tv's, I know plenty of very frum pple living there. Alot of areas get their name in lkwd from a few pple that they are made up of. True chestnut is not yeshivish, but it doesnt make the majority of the pple there modern. The same goes with fourteenth st. and the Villas, most of the pple there are very frum and yeshivish.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 6:32 am
I just wrote the post before, but I want to ad, that how do you know its not just a video that pple are watching that you hear in the hallways. Either way I guess you're guilty of having a tv yourself.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 6:47 am
I thought lakewood was better than it used to be. You can;t have a tv, but I'm sure a computer, monitor, dvd player, etc.. is okay. Go to Highland Park, NJ, it's a 45 min commute from Lakewood and a fantastic community. Anybody would feel comfortable. I don't live there, my brother does. If I was able to, I would in a flash.

Grace

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 10:07 am
Woahhhh, amother:
I would think thats a pretty judgmental thing to say that obviously im 'guilty of having a TV'. I dont think im 'guilty' of anything thats my lifestyle choice. I do not come on this forum to get judged or judge others - so calm it.
But dont worry amother I dont really take it personally. I have a thick skin.

For all of you think im putting down Lakewood - ur funny b/c I live here (by choice) so surely I can be subjective about the pros and cons pertaining to this town. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion-surely?

So as to diffuse some peoples tempers and save myself from being sent to the slaughter house I will say that I do not know everyone in this building so I will not speculate as to what goes on in each persons home, I will just say that I have been into quite a few apartments in this building that have a TV. Thats it-nothing shocking. As for the ones who are not watching Tv and JUST watching DVDs I sincerely apologize - of course DVD watching IS terribly different then having a fully fledged Tumah box.

And to answer the person who asked about the non jews living here, there are in this building 3 apartments out of 70 which are not jewish.

And for the record I do know of people in Westgate who have a very large widescreen thing in their living room...

I was just trying to say that maybe a slightly different school was called for these days in Lakewood.

Not trying to offend anyone - sorry if I did.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 4:10 pm
Quite a few apartments, doesnt make it 60% of the building.

luckyme

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 5:22 pm
Op,
I no longer live near Lakewood, but I'll add my two-cents.
There are a few more options for schools semi-local besides Deal, Shaarei Tzion -great school- in Piscataway, but its probably about 45 minutes away. There are also 2 Shalom Torah Academy's, one in Twin Rivers -which is a very welcoming community and Manalapan (both about 25-30 minutes north of Lakewood) The only thing to consider with these is that the classes are co-ed. Not sure if that would work for you...
For food, there are too many choice to name, just a few:
In Lakewood Glatt Bite or Mike's for Hamburgers / Chinese / Chicken fingers, etc.
There is a Levy's Kosher Italian Cuisine coming soon to Lakewood, YUM!!!
There is another dairy/salad place thats good right on Rt 9, by the heimeshe bakery, can't remember that name though.
Further up the road in Manalapan is the original Levy's as well as a great chinese place, Kosher Chinese Express.
Highland park -also about 45-1 hour away- is also a terrific area with more restaurants as well as many in Deal.
You really have a ton of choices for shopping, too.
I agree with the poster who said that you just need to find a group of like-mided people and you can be happy almost anywhere.
Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 5:38 pm
Grace, are these people with TVs in kollel?
In general, I would not recommend an MO family move to Lakewood. You will be the minority, and since many people were hoping for Lakewood to be a town for the yeshivish to escape to, they are not interested in having other types around, and you may not feel comfortable. THough you will find some MO around, I generally find their kids, once they become teens, to feel bitter about being sort of the underclass.

Grace

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 5:41 pm
amother, WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?

I retracted that comment about 60%. Honestly its people like YOU that making being here not very pleasant.
You dont really have anything constructive to say so I suggest you log off and go and be non-constructive somewhere else.

I was merely trying to point out to the OP that there are infact a few different types of ppl in the lakewood area.

Grace

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 5:45 pm
To my knowledge the TV owners are not in Kollel - although I know plenty who are DVD watchers (just saying no judgement AT ALL, I too was a DVD when my husband was in kollel).

I think that you are a 100% spot on that there are going to be ( very unfortunately) alot ok kids who have a hard teenage hood here for various reasons. The mix of kids from learning families and working families alone brings many conflicting issues for mere teenagers....

Whatever I guess its for a different thread, I dont want to offend any more ppl than I already seem to have.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating