Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
S/o How often do you wash yarmulkes/kippahs/kaplech
1  2  Next

How often do you wash yarmulkes?
Never! Wear it out and throw it out  
 47%  [ 46 ]
Daily! Eew, gross, otherwise  
 1%  [ 1 ]
about once a week, regardless of how it looks  
 8%  [ 8 ]
when it looks dusty/dirty, like once a month  
 33%  [ 32 ]
Other, explain  
 9%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 96

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 11:35 am
Explain if you have more to add, like how many kippahs each person owns.
shabbos and weekday? 5 weekdays, 2 shabbos?

gamanit

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 11:38 am
7 kippahs sounds like an awful lot. About 3 or 4 per boy with a few extra plain ones as backup since they tend to get lost.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 11:44 am
Whenever they get dirty/dusty/smelly/sticky. With my boys that happens about every 1-2 weeks. And they lose a lot of kippot as well. Theoretically, we have about 10 kippot for 2 boys. But most are missing at any given moment. They occasionally turn up again after weeks, in odd places.
I've toyed with the thought of buying a package of those single use, paper-like paint-it-yourself kippot which they sell in some shops. To have a backup when they turn up at kiddush again bareheaded and all regular kippot are missing in action... What

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 11:44 am
DH & boys don't wear washable kippa's, they have about 4-5 each but DH can wear the same one for months......
They get spot washed and thrown out when they're worn and stinky.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 11:55 am
When they look like they need it. Dh has a large kippah wardrobe, many though by no means all of them lovingly crocheted by my own delicate hands (she remarked, blushing modestly), so they can go for a long time between washes.

Frumme

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 12:01 pm
DH washes all of his things like kippahs and tzitzits Very Happy once or twice a month.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 12:05 pm
My father likes suede kippot, which can't be washed, and he wears them until the stitching unravels. He normally has two or three different ones which he wears in rotation so they have a chance to air out. He objects to throwing them away, but sometimes my mother will ensure they get 'lost'.

Almost all other kinds can be washed by hand, or in a mesh bag on the delicate cycle.

Last edited by Elfrida on Wed, Feb 10 2021, 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

flower2

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 12:06 pm
They get washed if the fall in the toilet
Otherwise, wear until yucky looking
My husband has several but only one that he likes wearing
Boys prob have about 5 each but some are old

mizle10

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 12:31 pm
What kind of yarmulkes do you use that you wash them? I find they completely lose their shape when they get wet. They turn lumpy.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 12:34 pm
Sometimes it's useful to smooth them over an upturned bowl and let them dry that way.

gamanit

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 1:00 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Sometimes it's useful to smooth them over an upturned bowl and let them dry that way.

Yeah, I use my cereal bowls for that. I also sometimes iron from the inside with starch, one triangle at a time.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 1:03 pm
Wash my husband's weekly, as many as are in the hamper.
My sons can get ruined when wet.
He has over 30 and I throw them out when they get ruined.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 2:03 pm
Elfrida wrote:

Or on a sheitel head

Rappel

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 4:09 pm
mizle10 wrote:
What kind of yarmulkes do you use that you wash them? I find they completely lose their shape when they get wet. They turn lumpy.

Crocheted kippot are fine to wash.

So are the hat ones - I don't know how else to call them in English.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 5:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Explain if you have more to add, like how many kippahs each person owns.
shabbos and weekday? 5 weekdays, 2 shabbos?

Whenever I see them and go, oh my goodness, your kippah is filthy! I've got only big boys, so that could be either weeks or months TMI

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 5:17 pm
Rappel wrote:
Crocheted kippot are fine to wash.

So are the hat ones - I don't know how else to call them in English.

Bokharian?

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 5:19 pm
mizle10 wrote:

That's what cereal bowls and sheitel forms are for. You could use a balloon in a pinch. but a sheitel form is better because you can pin the kippah to it to prevent shrinking and "bubbling."

mizle10

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 5:47 pm
zaq wrote:
That's what cereal bowls and sheitel forms are for. You could use a balloon in a pinch. but a sheitel form is better because you can pin the kippah to it to prevent shrinking and "bubbling."

Dunno they still don’t look the same to me... the cotton ones the rim gets all weird, suede gets ruined. The denim ones I find to be pretty durable but that only up to a certain age...
I buy keter or ikippah

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 7:52 pm
mizle10 wrote:
Dunno they still don’t look the same to me... the cotton ones the rim gets all weird, suede gets ruined. The denim ones I find to be pretty durable but that only up to a certain age...
I buy keter or ikippah

Suede? You can't wash suede. You either give it to a dry-cleaner who specializes in leather and suede (does anyone really do this?); invest in a wire suede brush and suede cleaning foam (ditto); or get rid of it when it gets nasty (bingo).

Are you machine washing? Don't. Hand wash in cold-to-lukewarm water, rinse, and stretch immediately on your bowl, your head or your wig form, using pins if you use a wig form. Actually what I do is stretch it first on my head and then transfer to a bowl, as my head is head-shaped and our bowls, unlike my family's heads, are flat on the bottom. Go by every so often and stretch some more while they're drying. You can also iron them while stretching if the rims shrink, which they will.

Of course they're only good up to a certain age. How great do you think YOU will look when you are in people years as old as those kippot are in kippah years? And considering that they're out there every day, exposed to the heat and the cold and the sunlight and the fluorescent light and the air pollution and the hair oils and sweat, well, it's surprising they last as long as they do.

mizle10

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 8:41 pm
zaq wrote:
Suede? You can't wash suede. You either give it to a dry-cleaner who specializes in leather and suede (does anyone really do this?); invest in a wire suede brush and suede cleaning foam (ditto); or get rid of it when it gets nasty (bingo).

Are you machine washing? Don't. Hand wash in cold-to-lukewarm water, rinse, and stretch immediately on your bowl, your head or your wig form, using pins if you use a wig form. Actually what I do is stretch it first on my head and then transfer to a bowl, as my head is head-shaped and our bowls, unlike my family's heads, are flat on the bottom. Go by every so often and stretch some more while they're drying. You can also iron them while stretching if the rims shrink, which they will.

Of course they're only good up to a certain age. How great do you think YOU will look when you are in people years as old as those kippot are in kippah years? And considering that they're out there every day, exposed to the heat and the cold and the sunlight and the fluorescent light and the air pollution and the hair oils and sweat, well, it's surprising they last as long as they do.

For $10 a yarmulke I’m pretty sure they are faux suede:) I don’t wash any of them, we have a bunch and I toss when they get gross.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry