Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
3 week baby sleeping all day

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 5:24 pm
hi ftm here was hoping s/o could give me advice
so my delicious baby is on the smaller side and I was told she would be sleepier than other babies.

She sleeps allllllll day. I feel like I'm not stimulating her at all. I never play with her because all I'm doing is changing her, feeding her, burping her, putting to sleep. Repeat.

I tried keeping her awake today with music and lights on and I put her on her tummy for some floor time play but she just chilled there on her tummy and then fell asleep. How is tummy time supposed to work?

When I hold her on my chest for skin to skin she picks up her head and seems to have good head strength.

I'm feeling guilty that I don't play with her at all.

Any advice?

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 5:30 pm
You're doing great. She doesn't need you to play with her. Newborns gradually increase the period of time each day that they are alert, and even then they use the time to stare at things with high color contrasts. My daughter was a big fan of ceiling fans; that's a common one.

ddmom

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 5:35 pm
Is she making enough wet and dirty diapers?
Did she gain weight in the last 2 weeks?
Sometimes sleeping all day can be a sign of not eating enough. If you have any doubt have your baby checked out!!
Mazal tov!!!
(3 weeks don't really need stimulation yet!!)

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 5:52 pm
She’s 3 weeks. Her needs are sleep, food and to be cleaned of her poop. There is no playing. You’ll know when playing comes in. Now it’s just getting through the days and nights. Don’t keep her up longer than 1-1.5 hours between naps. She needs her sleep so her brain and body can grow

Why the guilt though?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 6:07 pm
ddmom wrote:
Is she making enough wet and dirty diapers?
Did she gain weight in the last 2 weeks?
Sometimes sleeping all day can be a sign of not eating enough. If you have any doubt have your baby checked out!!
Mazal tov!!!
(3 weeks don't really need stimulation yet!!)

ya bh tons of diapers a day and she's gaining weight beautifully BH!

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 6:08 pm
Sounds right for a 3 week old. Ahe doesn't need to play yet. You will have plenty of time to play with her and stimulate her.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 6:08 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
She’s 3 weeks. Her needs are sleep, food and to be cleaned of her poop. There is no playing. You’ll know when playing comes in. Now it’s just getting through the days and nights. Don’t keep her up longer than 1-1.5 hours between naps. She needs her sleep so her brain and body can grow

Why the guilt though?

Ha ok good to know we're doing the right thing.
Guilt bc I feel like I'm just surviving through the day... I'm exhausted!
And feel like I should have been more on top of tummy time TMI

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 6:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ha ok good to know we're doing the right thing.
Guilt bc I feel like I'm just surviving through the day... I'm exhausted!
And feel like I should have been more on top of tummy time TMI

Please. My baby is 4 months and hates tinny time. So I skip it. He’s fine. You’re more than fine. Stop stressing and go to sleep!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 6:12 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Please. My baby is 4 months and hates tinny time. So I skip it. He’s fine. You’re more than fine. Stop stressing and go to sleep!

Ha I really should. My husband is feeding her now so Im just having some me time Smile

SuperWify

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 7:09 pm
Newborns sleep all day. They don’t require stimulation.

You can give ten minutes or so of tummy time.

Mazel tov!

queen esther

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 7:17 pm
You're doing great! I just had my third baby a couple months ago but it's been a while between kids so I forgot all the baby stages...I also worried in beginning that I should be "doing more" with her but I see as she grows these first months she gradually became more alert in between sleep times. For sure first month- like another said-if she's fed, kept clean, and gaining weight, she's good! I didn't do tummy time much on floor until later on- first few months mostly just on my chest which I think is enough. I saw a definite shift in month 2-3 where she likes to look at us more.. so "playing" is just smiling at her...or a mobile or baby piano and playmat. But not first month or so for sure.

lucky14

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 7:21 pm
Totally normal. Babies that age aren't interested in anything but eating and sleeping. I was the same way- and not just with my first- the feeling guilty that I'm not entertaining/stimulating them enough. But really it's just about eating and sleeping at that age.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 10 2021, 7:24 pm
Ok, thanks everyone!
I guess I was just super nervous because I was reading up about babies having flat heads from being on their backs all day... my baby is mostly on her back sleeping and the back of her head does look weird to me
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics