Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
How do you serve chicken soup to guests?
Previous  1  2

Moonlight

Post Fri, Feb 12 2021, 4:33 pm
Fave wrote:
How do you serve the chicken in the soup? You shred it after cooking?
garbage

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 13 2021, 7:15 pm
Moonlight wrote:
garbage

You throw away the cooked chicken?

groisamomma

Post Sat, Feb 13 2021, 7:33 pm
Fave wrote:
How do you serve the chicken in the soup? You shred it after cooking?

Whole bottoms I strain the liquid then broil in a pan with spices and serve as I would regular chicken.

Sometimes I shred it and serve it in the soup. When it's just family I know what they like already. Relatives, each mother serves her own family. Non-family guests, sometimes just kneidel and lukshen, sometimes custom orders, depending on the number of people.

Moonlight

Post Sat, Feb 13 2021, 9:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You throw away the cooked chicken?

Yes. No one of my house likes boiled chicken. When I really have extra time I will make chicken pot pie out of it but only on rare occasion

farm

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 1:18 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
The only thing I ask about is kneidlach because those are easy to leave out. We have one guest who never eats veggies so we fill her bowl first when the veggies are still settled to the bottom. But if a carrot slice ends up in her bowl, I'm not removing it.

There was a time when I tried to be the perfect hostess and give everyone a "custom order". Then I got therapy and sanity was restored.

Puzzling over this. Why is it pathological to be the type of hostess that gives everyone a custom order? From reading this thread, it’s apparent that plenty of people do this without feeling insane.

Zeleze

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 7:04 am
With Veggies, Lokshen and sometimes top it up with Kniedlach too

In a plate I put Mandelech if they wish to add

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 8:01 am
If serving a crowd I do standard clear soup and add noodles and knaidel as my mood speaks to me.
For a smaller crowd I do accommodate and include veggies for those that like it

sub

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 8:05 am
Moonlight wrote:
garbage

Use chicken bones instead. They are cheaper and add a lot of flavour to the soup. Put them in a mesh bag so you just have to pull it out when cooked

Moonlight

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 12:33 pm
Related question, when you freeze your leftover chicken soup , what do you do with the vegetables? I don't think they usually freeze well, do I throw them out or somehow repurpose?

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 12:34 pm
Hot and in a bowl! Happy Adar!!!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 12:45 pm
Moonlight wrote:
Related question, when you freeze your leftover chicken soup , what do you do with the vegetables? I don't think they usually freeze well, do I throw them out or somehow repurpose?

Eat them while hot, throw them out, or make into a vegetable soup.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 12:56 pm
u make me hungry - we r soup people. shredded chicken sometimes (usually I use only bones) , carrots and veggies, lokshn and knaidlach or mandalach or fritatn (my favorite!!!). topped with chopped chives..mmmmh
custom ordeers.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 1:28 pm
farm wrote:
Puzzling over this. Why is it pathological to be the type of hostess that gives everyone a custom order? From reading this thread, it’s apparent that plenty of people do this without feeling insane.

A lot of people do a lot of things that don't bother them that would make me personally insane. Why is it hard to understand that for some people this is annoying?

When everybody has a request and I'm standing over a steaming pot wilting - it bothers me. I just want to get the soup out on the table. Nobody is in trouble for not finishing what's in their bowl. The are free to eat around the offending veggies. If somebody's kid can't handle that there is a piece of celery in their bowl, let their mother deal with it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics