Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Toy storage in Living Room, with only a rotation of toys

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 5:13 am
Bh my house has a basement, where we will keep the majority of toys (there is a large cabinet there)

But I know my kids will end up playing up on the main floor, near me.
I only want to have a LIMITED rotation of toys out at a time.
E.g a box of magna tiles and or clicks
Only a few dolls
Only a few card/board games
And maybe cars or mentchies or puppets, etc

I have a friend who has a storage unit with those square sections and cloth like drawees and it looks really neat, but if this is not my playroom, and what's there one month may not be there another, would that still work? (Keep the emptied plastic storage bins and lids downstairs?)

Also, I'm used to bins with lids... Do those cloth drawers work? Are they heavy duty? Can I throw magna tiles in and they won't rip the bag?

Any other suggestions for a neat-looking limited toy area in LR?

THANK YOU!!! Smile

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 5:36 am
I think boxes with lids end up with neater storage than the bins. If you already have the bins I would find a storage cabinet that works with them.

If you want something that primarily works with your living room decor I would look for a cabinet with doors that fits your lids. Or a small open shelving unit.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 5:39 am
The cube storage does look nice-my friend has the kallax from Ikea. The cloth drawers are pretty sturdy.
But if you have all the toys in a closet downstairs in specific boxes, then why not just bring up a box at a time and leave it in a corner of the room? Does it have to be in a different storage system?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 6:08 am
We have the kallex with cloth boxes with 1 box of stuffed animals, one of doll stuff, one is random small toys, and one for books, and then a solid (cardboard in our case) box for whichever building toy is our that week. Side point: my little one can't lift the box of magna tiles onto the shelf so it just sits next to it.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 6:23 am
Another vote for the kallax storage system. We have a big one, with loads of boxes. The cheaper cloth boxes hold everything nicely but they do start to sag at the sides eventually.. I find I need new ones every 3 years or so. They come in loads of colours and designs. Love them

yitta25

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 7:00 am
I actually have it in my main living space. Magna tiles did tear it after about a year. The magna tiles and mitzvah kinder did a job on them. Was a good investment though and will replace the bins this week.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics