Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How long before following up on job interview?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 4:08 pm
Interview was on Thursday.
Is Monday afternoon too soon?
Will the potential employer think I’m not interested in the job if I wait until Tuesday?

TIA!

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 4:34 pm
Where are you? Monday is a holiday in the US. Although I'll be honest with you, I don't appreciate job candidates who call me after the interview. If I want you, I know where to find you.

Don't call. Send a nice email right away thanking for the interview and saying one or two nice things about the company. The interviewer knows this is a ploy but at least you're not harrassing.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 4:39 pm
Thanks
I am planning on following up by email, not a phone call.
An inquiry by email can easily be ignored, why would you consider it harassment?
I’m sure there were other suitable applicants.
Wouldn’t the employer hire the candidate that expresses the most interest in working for the company?

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 5:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks
I am planning on following up by email, not a phone call.
An inquiry by email can easily be ignored, why would you consider it harassment?
I’m sure there were other suitable applicants.
Wouldn’t the employer hire the candidate that expresses the most interest in working for the company?

I didn't say email would be harrassment; I said a phone call would be.

I would narrow the choice down to the candidates I feel would do the best job; among those, I would consider those with whom I felt I would best get along, or who would best get along with whomever else they have to work with, not the one who is most desperate for the job. Sure, if all I had was identical twins with identical qualifications and one sounded really enthusiastic about the work and the other was just "eh", I'd go for the one with the good attitude. But "all other things" are never equal, and interest in my company as opposed to other companies has never been much of a factor in my hiring decisions

I'm not saying that this is true for other employers; I tend to be a bit of a maverick and what I like isn't necessarily what the majority of employers like.

What I'm saying is, don't send an email asking "have you made a decision yet?" That's harrassment and an instant turn-off. Just thank them for the interview and reiterate your admiration for the company.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 5:29 pm
I try to send a thank you email within 1 business day, 2 at worst. Those emails are just thank yous, they don't require a reply, but some interviewers do reply.

If a company is large enough to have a separate HR/recruiting contact who is not part of the hiring manager's department, I think it is fine to check with this person on the status of the application eventually, but not 3 days later. More like 2 or 3 weeks later.

At the end of the interview, most responsible interviewers will give an overview of the forthcoming process and may give an estimated timeline. Or they'll route you back to the recruiting contact for that.

Sometimes there are reasons for delay that have nothing to do with the candidates, the interviewers, or the hiring manager, especially at large companies. And especially now, a lot of companies have been freezing or slowing external hiring.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 5:35 pm
Thanks.
I interviewed directly with the business owner.
It’s a small business.
It would make no sense for me to wait 2-3 weeks to follow up.
The hiring process is not that lengthy in a small company.
I already sent a “thank you” email after the interview.
Based on the responses, I understand that Monday-Tuesday would be too soon.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 5:50 pm
If you already sent a thank you I wouldn’t send another one. If they want to offer you the position they will.

“Wouldn’t the employer hire the candidate that expresses the most interest in working for the company?” I don’t think so. They are looking to hire the candidate whose credentials best match their needs, and for a small company a candidate who will beat fit in the work culture.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 5:52 pm
If you thanked them and it’s only been a few days, I’d leave it. If they want you, they’ll call you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics