Home

Bat M. Gift.. have you read...

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 1:14 pm
I was looking for a sefer about women in tanach- can't seem to findone that focuses solely on wowmen written from a frum author. I did find two other books on line- Has anyone read...

Parsha in Pink by Rebbtizen Bodner Lankry

or

A Distant Mirror by Rebbetzin Heller. This book sounds fascinating, but all I can see are the chapter titles and I am not sure it is appropriate for a bat mitzvah girl.

I usually give a challah cookbook that has all the halachot of hafrashat challah as well as some spirtiual concpets and of course interesting braiding techniques, but I already gave that to her older sister and thought maybe I should do something different.
Back to top

amother




Burgundy
 

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 1:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was looking for a sefer about women in tanach- can't seem to findone that focuses solely on wowmen written from a frum author. I did find two other books on line- Has anyone read...

Parsha in Pink by Rebbtizen Bodner Lankry

or

A Distant Mirror by Rebbetzin Heller. This book sounds fascinating, but all I can see are the chapter titles and I am not sure it is appropriate for a bat mitzvah girl.

I usually give a challah cookbook that has all the halachot of hafrashat challah as well as some spirtiual concpets and of course interesting braiding techniques, but I already gave that to her older sister and thought maybe I should do something different.


I always give money. The boys get so much more money than the girls. I try to make it fair.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 1:22 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
I always give money. The boys get so much more money than the girls. I try to make it fair.


I already gave her sister a book and jewelry and figure I have to do the same thing for her. Interestingly- where I live(not in NY) the boys get seforim. My boys now have a fantastic library of all kinds of seforim that as a 13 year old they thought- when am I ever going to use that, but now as yeshiva bachur they are always using them.
Back to top

Elfrida




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 1:44 pm
I like to give books for a Bat Mitzvah. I try to look for something that will appeal to a twelve year old, but will still be something they will go back to as an adult. It's a fairly narrow range.

I haven't read either of the two you mention, OP, so I can't give a direct comment. My experience of Rebbitzen Heller's work is that it is too deep and complex for a twelve year old to appreciate it. She might go back to it later, but you want something that they can enjoy at the time, as well.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 1:46 pm
Elfrida wrote:
I like to give books for a Bat Mitzvah. I try to look for something that will appeal to a twelve year old, but will still be something they will go back to as an adult. It's a fairly narrow range.

I haven't read either of the two you mention, OP, so I can't give a direct comment. My experience of Rebbitzen Heller's work is that it is too deep and complex for a twelve year old to appreciate it. She might go back to it later, but you want something that they can enjoy at the time, as well.


Thanks- I think I just may be it for myself!
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 1:47 pm
My dd also suggested Emunah with love and chicken soup.
Back to top

amother




Apricot
 

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 1:50 pm
This is also lovely:
https://lp.vp4.me/jmcq
Pirkei Hallel: This special, experiential book is designed to accompany the shared journey of bat mitzva girls and their mothers during the bat mitzva year . The book is divided into 12 chapters, each of which includes study pages, activities, stories, and thought-provoking essays for mothers, all from the heart. Each chapter is dedicated to a different topic, for example, Chesed, Gratitude, Beauty & Modesty, Shabbat, Prayer and more.
The book is dedicated to the memory of Hallel Yaffa Ariel Hy”d, who enjoyed a wonderful and meaningful bat mitzva year with her family and friends.
Back to top

Elfrida




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 1:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My dd also suggested Emunah with love and chicken soup.


It could work. That was one of the books I considered getting for my niece. As a twelve year old she can read it and enjoy the stories and learn from them. As an adult facing adult challenges she can read it again and understand it on a new level. In the end you have to know the girl and if she will enjoy it.

If you go for this make sure to get the full version, not the children's edition.


Last edited by Elfrida on Sun, Feb 14 2021, 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

amother




Cyan
 

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 1:57 pm
If you want Torah, Nechama Liebowitz on the parsha is my stand-by gift. It's a five volume set.

I've given Emunah with love and chicken soup, as well as some other top biographies I found here on Imamother posts.

Go OP. I find jewelry the expected gift for many.
Back to top

amother




Cyan
 

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 2:05 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
This is also lovely:
https://lp.vp4.me/jmcq
Pirkei Hallel: This special, experiential book is designed to accompany the shared journey of bat mitzva girls and their mothers during the bat mitzva year . The book is divided into 12 chapters, each of which includes study pages, activities, stories, and thought-provoking essays for mothers, all from the heart. Each chapter is dedicated to a different topic, for example, Chesed, Gratitude, Beauty & Modesty, Shabbat, Prayer and more.
The book is dedicated to the memory of Hallel Yaffa Ariel Hy”d, who enjoyed a wonderful and meaningful bat mitzva year with her family and friends.


This looks lovely! Thank you for sharing this!
Back to top

amother




Red
 

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 8:41 pm
Holly Pavlov of Shearim has a book

There is also
From Sarah to Sarah

My mother loves the Pink Book
Back to top

Crookshanks




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Feb 14 2021, 10:18 pm
I just downloaded a sample of the book Pirkei Hallel and I am blown away! What a beautiful commemoration of Hallel Yaffa's life. Hashem yinkom damah.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Great neck residents please read
by amother
1 Today at 3:51 pm View last post
Where to buy nice gift online 2 Yesterday at 4:27 pm View last post
Value of Hamaspik afikoman gift card?
by amother
5 Thu, Apr 15 2021, 7:13 pm View last post
Gift/Flower/Food delivery in LA? 8 Wed, Apr 14 2021, 2:03 pm View last post
New Serial Starting -- You can read it in your email! 29 Wed, Apr 07 2021, 4:34 pm View last post