Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Urgent. Recipe for mezonos rolls/onion rolls

tweety1

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:12 am
I was planning to put up a batch of mezonos onion rolls this morning and just realized I have no recipe. I much rather it be mezonos than hamotzei. Tnx.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:17 am
Use 2/3rds apple juice for the water, to make it mezonos.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....40398
(And expect posters to tell you that there's no such thing as mezonos rolls. Very Happy)

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:29 am
ra_mom wrote:
(And expect posters to tell you that there's no such thing as mezonos rolls. Very Happy)

🙂 There can be, but only if you don't use the roll for a meal the way you would a regular roll. And that you don't eat enough of them to be koveah seudah. Or, if there's an issue of traveling, which some hold by and some don't.

tweety1

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:43 am
ra_mom wrote:

I guess I have to warm up the juice. So basically I can use any challah recipe and use apple juice?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 8:14 am
Hatzlacha. It might be too late for you but for anyone who opens this because she's looking for recipes, last week's Binah had one.

tweety1

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 8:53 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Hatzlacha. It might be too late for you but for anyone who opens this because she's looking for recipes, last week's Binah had one.

It's not too late. Because I'm out of apple juice so I have to wait till I can get myself to a grocery to buy.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 9:23 am
PinkFridge wrote:

Not everyone has last weeks Binah. Perhaps you could post the recipe?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 9:32 am
tweety1 wrote:
I guess I have to warm up the juice. So basically I can use any challah recipe and use apple juice?

If you combine 1 1/3 cup room temperature apple juice and 2/3 cup boiling water, you should end up with a temperature that's good.

tweety1

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 9:39 am
ra_mom wrote:
If you combine 1 1/3 cup room temperature apple juice and 2/3 cup boiling water, you should end up with a temperature that's good.

Tnx. Will do.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 10:08 am
Will just add that it doesn't have to be apple juice. To make the dough mezonas, you just have to use a fruit juice. It should be pure fruit, not from concentrate. I usually use grape juice as we always have a stock of it.
AFAIK, the bakeries all use raisin water for their dough.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 10:21 am
Elfrida wrote:
Not everyone has last weeks Binah. Perhaps you could post the recipe?

So sorry, I'm in a rush. Possibly later if I can.

hodeez

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 11:19 am
Will orange juice have the same effect or will it taste weird? Also does grape juice not change the color of the dough?

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 3:07 pm
hodeez wrote:
Will orange juice have the same effect or will it taste weird? Also does grape juice not change the color of the dough?

I only have natural color grape juice, but I suppose if you have a concord or dark, it would make the dough darker.

exhausted

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 4:02 pm
Most apple juice from the supermarket is from concentrate and is mostly water. Best bet is light grape juice.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 4:21 pm
hodeez wrote:

Don't use purple concord grape juice.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:18 pm
it has to be 100%fruit juice. My friend is using frshly squezzed orange juice but I neber tried it, I use apple juice. I also take less sugar as the juice is normally very sweet
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics