Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
WWYD - lighting store that decorator sent me too was so
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 4:07 pm
So expensive. Stupid me who never did this before didn’t know to shop around. Now I see another local lighting stores website has same fixtures for a nice percent less. Also I see my decorator name in all the invoices so she’s obviously getting commission. I’m upset I let her talk me into just using this guy. Of course she like him, he gives her commission. But now I overpaid!!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 4:20 pm
It should be a kapara.

In such a situation I always ask myself would I have known to buy that chandelier on my own, would it have taken me weeks of schlepping around and being indecisive? Did this guy point me in the right direction and help me get it done? That's worth something.

I hope you love it and that your home will be full of simcha!!

trixx

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 4:32 pm
Are you getting more service than the other cheaper site? Ability to see in person before you purchased, installation, better customer service?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 4:45 pm
trixx wrote:
Are you getting more service than the other cheaper site? Ability to see in person before you purchased, installation, better customer service?

No nothing! They actually have bad service, weren’t supposed to charge delivery and did anyways. Had to call and fight for it to get taken off

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 4:55 pm
You need to give her an exact price range of what you want to spend on each thing. Most decorators have certain vendors they work with for a commission.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 5:08 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
You need to give her an exact price range of what you want to spend on each thing. Most decorators have certain vendors they work with for a commission.

How am I supposed to know what normal range is?

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 5:15 pm
DH sells lighting and so yes I can confirm that designers often get kickbacks from lighting companies (he does not engage in this but knows of the concept). That said yes you are also paying for expertise. You can go into a lighting store and pick what you want but you grab your designer or electrical contractors gives you advise on what you I’ll suit your needs you are paying for their consult. Oftentimes people buy a product that is not suitable and waste a lot of money. Happens to be that DH does not sell to end users directly and just to electrical contractors mostly because end users don’t know what they want and they end up buying the wrong item (my friend loves it so I will too etc), they want to return, ask advise on how to set it up and it’s a big waste of time for him. He tries to give advise even though that’s not his line of business (he’s just a distributor) and then they don’t listen anyway lol

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 5:19 pm
Came back to add that
1. make sure you are comparing apples to apples and exact products specs before you decide that it’s exactly the same product that is so much cheaper. Oftentimes even a chance in color few make huge difference
2. Just because you See it doesn’t mean this website will sell to you. Many lighting suppliers only sell to preferred customers (not sure if that’s the case here).

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 5:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You have to do your research before. Or tell the designer how much you're ready to spend on a fixture and she's supposed to send you to a store within that range.

Fuchsia

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 5:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Were you unaware that this is how interior designers make some of their commission?

ROFL

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 5:54 pm
Yes I had that issue also. So much that I knew I overpaid. I don’t care if it was said before hand - but it was done underhanded. This is the best place to buy. You will get the best price here - all not true. I could have saved hundreds of dollars going elsewhere.

Bleemee

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 6:03 pm
How does it work? Do designers try to get the customer to therefore buy the most expensive? How is someone supposed to trust the designer is getting the best for the customer’s needs?

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 6:16 pm
Bleemee wrote:
How does it work? Do designers try to get the customer to therefore buy the most expensive? How is someone supposed to trust the designer is getting the best for the customer’s needs?

It's on the client to do their homework on prices and give the designer a price range.

Amarante

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 6:49 pm
My experience was very much the opposite with my designer.

I did a major remodel and so a lot of stuff was purchased through her fir all kinds of things.

I had a particular need for my bedroom sconces because and so I spent time looking in the internet for something I liked. It could have been vintage or new. My designer collaborated since she provided guidance in terms of size, shape and whether it would look well. I stumbled across a sconce that I liked and sent a picture to her and she loved it as well. The website listed a retail price but the prices I paid even with her designer markup was less than I would have paid for retail.

My contract provided for what the markup would be for each category. A certain amount for purchased items; a certain amount for items she designed and had made for me etc. That is how designers work for the most part.

I don’t know what you mean by a kickback. In general the invoices were sent to the designer and then I either paid her or the vendor. It was completely transparent and I saw what she had been billed by the vendors.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:16 pm
Fuchsia wrote:
Were you unaware that this is how interior designers make some of their commission?

No! She charges a very very high hourly rate. Why the red for commission too??

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:18 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
It's on the client to do their homework on prices and give the designer a price range.

Well we saw and picked some options and the pricing was ok, until I saw after I ordered the fixtures and did research. Same type of store, not worse service, was a lot!! Cheaper. Oh well. Live and learn

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:26 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:

But that's not the case here. She's saying that the decorator sent her to a place that charged more for the same pieces.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:38 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
But that's not the case here. She's saying that the decorator sent her to a place that charged more for the same pieces.

Exactly! Same pieces, same model number, same color. Both had it in stock. I’m really annoyed....

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Exactly! Same pieces, same model number, same color. Both had it in stock. I’m really annoyed....

Did you tell her?

Bleemee

Post Mon, Feb 15 2021, 7:46 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:

Can you explain? Not sure how it answers the question.
If the designer is getting commission and the client gives a range, won’t she automatically suggest the most expensive in that range? If not, why wouldn’t she? And she probably won’t be trying to get best bang for buck.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics