Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
I spent $500 on bedding and I’m devastated
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 4:44 am
I finally caved and purchased expensive bedding bc I’m super sensory.

I purchased it in Lakewood and the store told me I should take it out dryer and put on bed right away . I did that and since it’s white fabric it creases like crazy and it looks so cheap and horrible. I sprayed linen spray to straighten but it didn’t help. Any tips ??

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 4:46 am
Did you use the cold iron spray? It works miracles!

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 4:54 am
You won’t like this answer: iron it. With steam. On HOT with the heaviest iron you can find. Or send it out to be done professionally. If it’s cotton fabric, well, cotton creases. That’s the nature of the beast. And the dryer doesn’t release the creases the way it does for synthetic or synthetic blends.

On the flip side, cotton doesn’t pill, and it’s cooler in summer and warmer in winter than synthetic or blends. And when it does wear out, it can be used for bedika cloths or dust rags. Synthetic makes lousy dust rags.

Or just suck it up. Cotton will crease once you sleep on it anyway.

You can cheat you know—iron just the top foot or so—the part that folds back over the blanket.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 5:12 am
My expensive linen, I wash with a low spin, put in the dryer for about 5 minutes and then take out and fold in quarters and hang to dry. Usually pretty crease free. If you dry it fully it will be creased.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 5:16 am
It usually takes a few times washing to get it right.
I was told to use low spin for my linen and it came out so wrinkled. Now I do high spin and high dryer temp and it’s so much better.
You’ll figure it out. Don’t worry.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:26 am
I iron my linen. No need for devastation Smile

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:40 am
I don’t iron anything. For sure not. linen. I don’t need extra work.
I recently bought an expensive set of linen and it creases horribly. I’m disappointed. But at least it has a pattern so I can pretend it’s hidden.
In retrospect I should’ve just bought a cheaper set. It would look nicer after washing. but my dimensions are Impossible to find.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:45 am
Even if my linen is a little creased after washing, after it’s on the bed for 2-3 days it’s fine! I focus on the softness and print and since that feels right I’m okay with a tiny bit creased since it goes away after a few days.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:48 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Even if my linen is a little creased after washing, after it’s on the bed for 2-3 days it’s fine! I focus on the softness and print and since that feels right I’m okay with a tiny bit creased since it goes away after a few days.

I’m not particular. It’s not little creases. I put on straight from dryer and the thing is one huge ball of creases. It looks horribly messy. And it doesn’t go away. It’s not a firm fabric but a soft buttery fabric. And I am so not particular.

bernadette

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:50 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
My expensive linen, I wash with a low spin, put in the dryer for about 5 minutes and then take out and fold in quarters and hang to dry. Usually pretty crease free. If you dry it fully it will be creased.

My mother is from Brazil and she hangs her linen to dry. She irons after that.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:53 am
100% cotton linen is not iron free! No matter the price tag....

Raisin

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 6:54 am
I'm also particular about linen. (the way it feels) I just put on the bed straight from dryer. I always get patterned or solid dark colours. Its fine and doesn't look creased. I can't imagine getting white linen though. Even the tidiest cleanest person can get her period unexpectedly.

Frumme

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 7:01 am
What's your sensory issue? Maybe there is a cheaper alternative elsewhere that is better quality. It's good to support Jewish businesses but they are not always worth the high price tag.

What's wrong with covering up the wrinkled sheets with a duvet and only ironing the parts that will show? (Pillow cases and top half of flat sheet)

amother
Black

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 7:30 am
I think they actually recommend taking it out of the dryer a few minutes early and then letting the last bit dry while on the bed. Once its dry the creases are set so they don't come out/soften as easily. Using this method the pillows and sheet should be perfect because they get pulled tight, the blanket cover will not be perfect unless you iron it but it's definitely passable...just not crisp.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 7:39 am
Can you return it?

I bought percale duvet covers from The Company Store about 5 years ago and am very happy. I never iron. They’re soft and cozy and wash well.

But, I’m not picky about linens so ymmv.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 8:06 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Can you return it?

I bought percale duvet covers from The Company Store about 5 years ago and am very happy. I never iron. They’re soft and cozy and wash well.

But, I’m not picky about linens so ymmv.

How can she return linen she used??? Would you want to buy it?

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 8:08 am
I hang my linen to dry and the weight of the linen seems to make it dry with much less creases than the dryer does. I also prefer the feel of the bedding when it dries in air than in the dryer.

challahchallah

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 8:19 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
I think they actually recommend taking it out of the dryer a few minutes early and then letting the last bit dry while on the bed. Once its dry the creases are set so they don't come out/soften as easily. Using this method the pillows and sheet should be perfect because they get pulled tight, the blanket cover will not be perfect unless you iron it but it's definitely passable...just not crisp.

This. It sounds like you may have over dried it. Take it out of the drier when it’s still just barely damp and immediately put it on your bed. It will come out much smoother. Of course nothing is as smooth as ironed sheets, but you lose that crispness as soon as you sleep on them anyway.

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 12:19 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
How can she return linen she used??? Would you want to buy it?

Upscale or very large companies want their customers to be satisfied. It's worth it to them to take a loss on the occasional disgruntled customer because they know that others will shop from them because of their liberal money-back policy. They don't re-sell used merch, but they may evaluate it in an effort to improve it. Or they may just throw it out, and some happy dumpster-diver may go home with it.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 12:43 pm
I used to go to these well-known places in NY and I would feel the bedding and it was stiff and harsh. I also don't like most of the styles- I hate all this fancy brocade stuff.

My husband and I are super super picky, and want the softest, lightest duvet covers. After trial and error, including some of the best linen ever that went out of stock at macy's (hotel collection microcotton), we purchased on a whim this at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....b08b4

A million colors, and it's super super soft and light, and so cheap! We've had it since 2018 and don't even have a replacement set, just that one that we wash once a week. (Twice if, well, kids throw up on it in the middle of the night or something). It's worn beautifully and just get softer and softer.

I don't know when having fancy linen equaled status, but I say it's your bedroom, no one should be looking at it, make it comfortable and wearable! And don't break the bank!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry